Superperformance powder

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Re: Superperformance powder

Post by ryutzy »

Jim --yes it was at 100 yards and yes I will be trying it at further ranges 200 and 300. I may need to take the scope off my 204 to finish load testing especially at the extended ranges. Yes it does have some muzzle blast, but I really dont mind. This isn't a high volume shooter like the 204 is. I like to use it for windy conditions and longer shots particularly on coyotes. I like the heavy duplex for night hunting in the snow, and that's the only reason this scope is still on this gun, but it's time for a change. It's handicapping the ability of this gun.

I'm super excited about the possibilities with this powder. Ultra flat long range trajectories with the 75 grain vmax. I want to experiment with it once I get my 6MM AI.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

If you like dark reticles, look no further than a Zeiss Conquest w/Z-Plex. Basically, a heavy "etched" duplex reticle. I had a 4.5-14x50 on my 6mm Rem but it really works better on my 300 WBY. If you're going to use it for rats/squirrels I may be leary because the thick "stadias" can hid the buggers if you hold off. For fox or coyotes, shouldn't be an issue.
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

that's a good thought Jim. I've been thinking about putting that 3X9 on a muzzleloader for deer hunting as I think it would be much better suited for that job.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
mcseal2
.204 Ruger Guns: building one

Post by mcseal2 »

I finally got my powder tested. I ended up loading it in a 24" 6mm Remington instead of the 243 after looking at the load data. I am getting great accuracy, around 1/2" for 3 shots and better if I am having a good day shooting. Average velocity is 3812fps with a 70gr ballistic tip. I've taken 12 coyotes with that load and it is working great. Shots have been from 150yds to 350yds and I've only gotten a couple exits. It is sure nice when shooting from the feed truck at an unknown distance to be able to hold on hair. I estimate the distance quickly and shoot, out to 250yds I hold for the heart and out to 350yds I just hold center. If I think it's farther I pass the shot unless I have time to range it and be sure. I'm sighted in for a max midrange rise of 2.8"
ryutzy

Post by ryutzy »

That ought to be a wonderful load for a 500+yard yotey. Keep working on your long distance ballistics with that particular bullet and you will no doubt join the 500 yard club if you haven't done so already.
got_rut
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Center

Post by got_rut »

Awesome posts all....

Can't wait to try some of this powder in my setup. I have a Savage Predator MAX-1 with a 6-18 ballistic reticle Nikon. The load I shoot is a 90 grain ballistic tip with 40 grains of 4350 seated .4 from the lans. This is not a screamer, but gives me a .3 group with my accutrigger tuned. Lined up 8 yotes this last winter and 6 were over 300 yards. God I love being buried in a snowbank with a call in my mouth during a full moon. Please keep the load data coming.