Tell us about yourself...

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
house

Post by house »

I guess it's my turn. My name is Tim and I live in southeast Michigan. I am married and have been for going on 10 years. We have three daughters,three dogs and three cats (kinda weird huh?). I like to hunt mostly waterfowl and small game. I also like to fish in bass tournament's when I have time in the summer(which isn't very often). I just recently bought my first 204 in a Savage model 10 package gun.
LowPro
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS - CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar - Remington R-15

Post by LowPro »

My name is Rick, and I live in the west central region of Missouri, near Truman Lake Reservoir. We own 80 acres, and I hunt whenever possible.

47 years old, married for 14 years...and plenty of "4-legged children".

Disabled veteran (USAF) Nope - not war-related...unless you consider rush-hour as a war zone. I was riding my motorcycle, when I was struck by a drunk-driver. This occurred in December '78, so I've been in a wheelchair for over 28 years.

I'm originally a native of Kansas City, KS., but decided to move to the country after I was introduced to hunting, back in '92.

My passion is hunting the white-tail, and hunting wild turkey's is a close 2nd. I've yet to go varmint hunting, but I'm currently in the market for a .204 to remedy that situation...
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Welcome to the Forum Tim & Rick!! Hope you enjoy it here!!

We do. :lol:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rafter CT

Post by Rafter CT »

Hello all, my name is Casey and I live in California. Married 3, kids and a few pets. I bought a Savage 12FV .204 and a Leopold 6-18 VX 2 about a month ago and the weather has been keeping me from shooting.This is my first varmint gun and from what I hear they are real shooters. Hopefully this weekend will be OK. Looking forward to some fun varmint shooting with it. Take care !!!
Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear. - Mark Twain
Squatting Wolf
.204 Ruger Guns: '07 Savage 12 LRPV

a little bit about myself

Post by Squatting Wolf »

Matt here....new to the site. I live in central Illinois. I've mostly deer hunted and recently gotten into pheasant hunting. I'm looking to pick up my first 204 ruger (still trying to decide what to buy).

I'm into all types of shooting, semi-auto pistols (H&K USP40, Browning Challenger II), revolvers (Smith & Wesson Performance Center model 657 41 Mag), benchrest with my anschutz and casual plinking with the new Savage Mark II-BV.

The 204 has caught my eye and one of my buddies has started inviting me to go coyote hunting and we have a trip planned to Montana this summer to shoot some dogs and yotes so i'm looking forward to getting the new rifle and working up some loads! Any advice would be helpful as I have already found a wealth of info!
It's more important where ya hit 'em, than what ya hit 'em with.
'07 Savage 12 LRPV .204 w/ Leupold VX-II 6-18 LRV reticle
Oz204

Post by Oz204 »

G'day my name is Murray and i come from Australia, i must confess as i speak i dont own a 204 but will have one as soon as my paper work comes back, should only be a few weeks.

I have been looking in here for a while now reading up and trying to decide what rifle to by.

I have only really hunted bigger animals i.e Buffalo and pigs, donkeys,camels etc but since moving im now in the part of Aus with little critters and wild dogs, i have the accuracy bug and think the 204 should help me out just fine to thin the numbers.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Casey,Matt,& Oz204-- Welcome to the Forum!! I think you'll like it here. And I'm sure you're gonna like your 204's. :wink:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rafter CT

Post by Rafter CT »

Glen thanks for the welcome. I finnally got to shoot my 204 yesterday. Just trying to properly break in the barrel so I haven't even attempted to shoot groups yet. They are fun to shoot though. It's a Savage 12FV with a Leupold 6x-18x by 40 VX II. After I burn up all my factory rounds I'll attempt to find the sweet load for it.
Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear. - Mark Twain
The N.U.B.

Post by The N.U.B. »

Be sure and look over the Favorite Loads Sticky Thread. That really helped when I got going. It lets you know if you're in the ballpark without loading the 100's of possible combinations. Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Scott
Only good Prairie Dog is a dead Prairie Dog.
surfclod
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by surfclod »

Chris from Calgary Alberta, being a welder has me stuck in the city but a country boy at heart. Growing up on a 3500 acre farm ensured lots of hunting and shooting since childhood.
I've had a Savage 12 in .204 for a couple years now, love it, love the effect on varmits. Really looking to develope a good load for it. So far best accuracy has been from factory loads in the area of 1/2" - 3/4" @ 100 yards when I am having a good day.

Current love is gopher hunting (Richardson Ground Squirrel n the prairies, and Columbian Ground Squirrels in the foothills). My .204 is complimented by a .17HMR (also in a Savage) and my latest purchase a Kimber Classic .22 so I should be ready for spring time.

Just found this forum last week, been helpful already
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Welcome to the forum Surfclod. Yes there are some good opportunities for prairie poodling out here in Alberta.
Savage Vaporizer
sniper2o4

Post by sniper2o4 »

cool, i got the 300th post! anyway, i'm tanner. i'm 15. live in sparta, tn. here's me and my rig. took me a year and a bunch of firewood cut and sold to get it. ive got about $650 in it but it's worth about $1200. won the scope in a drawing at a NWTF convention. never actually shot any groups. i just lined it in at 30 yards with the winchester 34 gr hollowpoints and never moved it. i bust 20 oz dr pepper bottles filled with water every shot at 300 so i see no need to. sure do love watchin the targets explode through the scope, especially at that range. cant' do that with the '06! i got a limbsaver deresonator to see if it would actually work. i hear of good results but havent tried it yet. im going to soon and also try for some groups with the sierras im gettin this weekend.

rem 700 adl .204 w/ a 24 in. standard barrel
adjusted trigger pull to 53 oz
leupold 2-7x33 100th year NWTF limited edition scope
leupold single piece standard base
leupold dual dovetail rings
limbsaver barrel deresonator

sniper2o4

Remington model 700 ADL .204 w/ Leupold 2-7x33 Vari-X I

Marlin model 25mn .22 mag w/ 2.5x32 Bushnell sharpshooter
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Welcome to the forum. That is a great looking rig you have. I admire your industriousness. The things in life that I have worked the hardest to get are the ones I cherish most.
Earl Three Beavers
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Post by Earl Three Beavers »

Welcome, Tanner. Nice rig you have there. When I was 15 I threw hay bales for six weeks to earn the bucks to buy a Stevens double barrel shotgun. I like your work ethic, that will carry you far.....and help you shoot better groups, too. :wink:
Lord, help me to be the man my dog thinks I am.
sniper2o4

Post by sniper2o4 »

thanks for the hospitality guys, got a feeling im gonna like this place.
sniper2o4

Remington model 700 ADL .204 w/ Leupold 2-7x33 Vari-X I

Marlin model 25mn .22 mag w/ 2.5x32 Bushnell sharpshooter