I did a very bad thing

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
tinytree
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 1A

Re: I did a very bad thing

Post by tinytree »

i recently got a 1A in 204. i haven't had time to wring it out yet, but it seems like it is gonna shoot good. my ffl had a box of 30gr hornady, and a box of 32 grain hornady vmax, so i got them, when i picked up the rifle. it didn't like the 30 gr (npt, i think!?), with 2-inch groups, but it was well under 1-inch with the factory 32s. i loaded them back up with 40 gr vmax and a few different varget and h335 charges, and it shot several groups in the 1/2 inch range. i have loaded up a couple more rounds with different c.o.a.l.s and the most accurate h335 charge, but i haven't had time to shoot again, yet. i am going to tinker with the 40 gr vmax until they are gone, but i am really looking forward to trying some 39g sbk next. i keep reading good stuff about them on here!

i was really a little concerned about the accuracy of the number 1, when i started looking at them, but the 204s seem to be pretty good. my trigger is fairly heavy. it takes some concentration to get it to go bang, but i am thinking it will be okay for coyote/varmint hunting.