Bags for use with Cowan Rest?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
dan97526
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper M21, Cooper 38 20VT, CZ 17H

Post by dan97526 »

The other day I got an email from Joe Cowan. My rest will be ready in a couple of weeks.

It's my first bench rest. I probably should have done this research earlier, but please offer up some recommendations for front and rear bags. The rest will be used on the bench for load testing, and from a table for rat killin'. Primarily, I want a bag to accomodate the wide fore-end of my Coopers but I will also be shooting hunting rifles off of it.

As stated, I've never seriously used a bench rest, so any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,
Dan
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Bags for use with Cowan Rest?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Dan - For about the largest and best selection of sandbags, rest bags and related accessories, check out Sinclair Int. You may even want to call those guys and ask what bag works best with the Cowan rest, as I know for a fact they're familiar with it.

I'm using a Sinclair All-Purpose front rest with a Protecktor No. 13B rear bag. My rest will adjust for narrow hunting rifle forends, all the way open to 3.5" for the widest BR rifle forend. The bag is segmented to allow the 'ears' to adjust to different widths....such a bag would be perfect for what you want if your front cradle is adjustable for width.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/shooting-re ... /index.htm

You can see the front bag arrangement I refer to here:

HTH
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

dan97526
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper M21, Cooper 38 20VT, CZ 17H

Post by dan97526 »

Thanks as always, Rick.

Looks like you have a speed screw on your rest. Do you find it useful? It's a $50 option on the Cowan.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Bags for use with Cowan Rest?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Dan - Re: Speed Screw.....is it useful? Depends on what you'll use the rest for. Most of the time in the field shooting ground squirrels, I do quick elevation changes via the rear bag on the slope of the stock because the lil buggers move about so quickly, you must get on them and shoot before they either bail down their hole, duck, or run 50 yards. PD's not so much, they're much more cooperative in that regard. ;)

However it's really nice for load development, target work and the like, as you can level the rifle almost perfectly on the bench, put the rear bag where it's really intended, and after making the course elevation adjustment with the main post, fine adjustments on the target looking through the scope are easy visable.

I really like having the option of the fine adjustment, and for $50 it may be worth it if you plan to have "one rest forever". JMO :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails