best bullet gr for groundhogs

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
smitty55
.204 Ruger Guns: savage 25 walking varmint

best bullet gr for groundhogs

Post by smitty55 »

32 gr vs 40 gr for groundhogs
247sniper
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom .204 Ruger !

Re: best bullet gr for groundhogs

Post by 247sniper »

Hi guys,

I would say they would be very dead with both 32+40 grain vmax, I would think you may get more just a little more splat factor with the faster 32's.

Open to further input and comment though.

Steve.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

My experience is the 32's are great out to 250yds on big ones. I also shot a couple crawling away that were too leery to stand up. Poor choice on my part. The 32's at 200yds didn't penetrate far enough & had to get closer for a head shot to finish them off. Went to the 39gr BK's & haven't looked back once.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
smitty55

Post by smitty55 »

thanks guys, iam working up laods and the 32 gr bk shot great, just started with the 39bk , sounds like i should put my work into the 39s. Thanks again!!
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

39 Blitzkings are the way to go; just the right degree of penetration. Plus, they're handy to have for the coyotes, too.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

247: As your groundhogs are a close cousin our our western rock chucks, I'll just offer this for you to ponder....all these chucks were killed with the Nosler 32gr BT out of my 20 VarTarg.....NOT even a 204 Ruger:

Either the 32 or 39 will cleanly kill a chuck, but I save my 39's for the very long range shots out of one of my 204's, or for those windy afternoons when she's blown' 25mph or thereabouts. The 32's will kill a large chuck when hit properly at ranges exceeding 350 yards.....so far for me anyway, and you can see the hits easier with the lighter bullet.

But for longer range and/or wind, the 39gr SBK really shines. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

When I saw Rick's pics of those rock chucks killed with his 20 VT, that convinced me I had to have one. I've killed several ground hogs here in Ga with a 22-250 that didn't have that kind of damage. I was shooting a 50 gr v-max on the groundhogs, and rarely had an exit. I would have to agree with Rick that a 32 gr should be all you need, but either one will kill them.
ImageImage
smitty55

Post by smitty55 »

thanks Rick, I am new to this 204, i have 6brs, and 223s so far this little 204 has been a blast to shoot. I am still working up loads, 32 bks are almost there, just starting with the 39s. Beautiful rifle you have, I have a model 25 savage, for now but after shooting the 204 i do have a saveage model 12, varmint that just may need a new barrel!!!! Thanks again
sharps45-120
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber 84M .204 Ruger

Post by sharps45-120 »

Rick is a darn good shot, and a good source of info. I used a Berger 35grHP and IMR8208XBR powder and Rem 7 1/2 BR primers with my first testing and got a group at 100 yards = .236 out of my Kimber 84M in 204 Ruger. Still working to improve it. Rifle is 100% stock except that I freefloated the barrel. Next step is bedding the action. Adjust the trigger then more load testing. Keep shooting and enjoy the sport. Jerry B.
smitty55

Post by smitty55 »

Jerry nice to hear abut the bergers , another option to try. I am impressed with Ricks pics, and he has a super looking rifle. My little savage likes the 32s first groups out of the gun shot under half inch at 100. like I said iam just loading for the 39s. I will put a rifle basic trigger on it , i have come to really like the triggers, and easy to install. I was always a 223 guy, but what i have seen so far this is a super calibur. Good luck with the load search keep me in the loop Smitty
ryutzy
.204 Ruger Guns: Superior Arms Custom AR-15 Leopold VXIII 4.5-14X50

Post by ryutzy »

Our eastern groundhogs can be some tough critters. If you will be shooting at all over 200 yards you want to use the 39 or 40 grainers. It will reduce the numbers of hogs that will make it to their hole.
It's hard to detect good luck, It looks so much like something you've worked hard for and earned.
Stay humble, Stay teacheable
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

[quote="ryutzy"]Our eastern groundhogs can be some tough critters. If you will be shooting at all over 200 yards you want to use the 39 or 40 grainers. It will reduce the numbers of hogs that will make it to their hole.

Agree 100%; especially when they're fattened up on late-summer soybeans. Then there's also a nice "thunk" when the fatties are hit with the heavier bullets.
smitty55

Post by smitty55 »

thanks for the info, any 39-40 gr bullet seem to do a better job on chucks, v mav, blitzkings, bergers (35-40 gr.)
sharps45-120
.204 Ruger Guns: Kimber 84M .204 Ruger

Post by sharps45-120 »

My best bullets in 204Ruger are 35gr Berger HP and 39gr Sierra BK. I have over 1,950 34grHP from Nosler, someday I must try them out as well but hate to change the success I now have. Just shot my first Rock Chuck of the season 2/15/2013. It was a full grown female at about 85 yards, D.O.A. from a 17HMR - 17gr Winchester Supreme slug. I didn't think anything would be out so I took the lighter rifle to just roam over 3 ranches. No Rats and only one Chuck, minus 1 Chuck now. I still haven't been able to attach pic's as my computer does not allow me to reduce the size of the photo and the 204 Ruger sight says to big to download. I have tried all I know, Any suggestions would be appreciated so I can attach pic's.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

sharps-- Upload them to a free PhotoBucket account. Hold your cursor over the pic in the account & when the drop down menu appears click on the IMG code. Then come here & right click in the reply box & click PASTE. Then enter your post.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen