I did a very bad thing

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
NSWVarminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Winchester .243

Re: I did a very bad thing

Post by NSWVarminter »

SactoBill wrote:a Ruger #1V in 204.
Sounds like a great buy, Congratulations.

Out of curiosity, What kind of accuracy would one expect out of a .204 Ruger No1?
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

Sounds real Cool, But I have to ask why the ten day wait for pick Up? 48 hrs has been the norm and im in IL. The anti gun state!
TC Encore204
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore

I did a very bad thing

Post by TC Encore204 »

California is right there as an anti gun state too. We have a ten day waiting period on all guns.
SactoBill
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by SactoBill »

California is crazy with gun laws. 10 day wait on everything including C&R guns if you buy from a dealer. Only 1 handgun every 30 days. Bullet buttons on all "evil" guns. 10 round mag limit on all guns including .22"s.

I hate it out here. Other than the stupid gun laws, high taxes, crazy real estate prices, liberal anti business regulations...its not so bad. :wall:
SactoBill

Post by SactoBill »

NSWVarminter wrote:
SactoBill wrote:a Ruger #1V in 204.
Sounds like a great buy, Congratulations.

Out of curiosity, What kind of accuracy would one expect out of a .204 Ruger No1?
I'm not sure on accuracy. Hopefully, it'll be a shooter. Maybe we can hear from owners of #1's.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill: My No.1V will routinely shoot in the .3's, sometimes if the wind is not being a pest, in the .2's. BUT, and it's a big but, I had to do all the required tricks to make the rifle shoot, as the fellow who sold it to me for a paltry $450 because "it won't shoot".

After doing the forearm floating, glassing the forearm tenon, lapping the barrel, replacing the bogus Ruger factory trigger with a Canjar single set unit, the rifle took on an entirely new personality, and is now "worthy" to rest alongside my other varmint/target rifles that all shoot under .5 MOA. (If they won't, they don't last long.)

In short, these are beautiful, well engineered rifles, but they require various mods to realize their full potential that the factory should have completed before shipping but for one reason or another, won't. As long as you complete what the factory did not do, they'll shoot right alongside your most accurate bolt gun.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

SactoBill

Post by SactoBill »

I finally was able to take the rifle out for a quick session. Sorry for the crappy iphone pics.

Here's an initial 3 shot string at 100 yards using Hornady factory ammo.

The initial strings were with the forearm resting near the end. I then tried moving the rifle forward and resting as close to the receiver as possible.

The group tightened up and i didn't notice the vertical stringing. So now I am working on various accuracy tips and wondered about glassing the forearm area. Do you have to scrape away the wood before applying the bedding compound? After laying the glass down, do you reinstall the barrel/action and let it set? Sorry for these questions but I've never bedded an action before.

Thanks.

Bill
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Bill
I have seen videos and other accurizing tips on the internet.Your search engine will find them.Floating the barrel and a better trigger will go a long way to shooting good consistant groups.Other tricks could help.Don't give up on the gun.They're fun to shoot.
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

That's not bad accuracy for a #1. You should have a nice rifle after the barrel is floated and you get a decent trigger. I'm jealous. I love the way the stainless #1 looks
K = ½mv2
SactoBill

Post by SactoBill »

I took her out again today and tried using some shims. It seemed to really help. Here is what I ended up with:

My best 3 shot group at 100 yards:

Most of the other groups always had a flyer:

I think I got lucky and won't have to do too much to this rifle. I was looking for a replacement trigger but Canjar is no longer in business? Is there another company offering a replacement trigger?

Thanks!

Bill
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill....you're correct in that Canjar is out of business. Maynard Canjar got old and shut the business down a few years ago. Some of his single set triggers are still in the pipeline, as I've found one for one of my No.1's, another for a Sako Vixen not too long ago.

On my No.1V below, I floated the forearm wood, glassed a good support for the tenon hanger (you must remove wood), gave micro clearence around the action and installed the Canjar single set trigger. Still no BR rig, but it does quite well in the rat patch:

I don't shoot much paper, so don't have a bunch of bragging groups to post, but here's a ten shot group from the No.1V during some chilly temps while fighting a pesky wind while preparing for rat season some years ago:

Not sure if those flyers were due to the tricky wind that day, or just me not paying attention, but you get the idea....these rifles can really shoot when dinked about with a tad.

Humm....maybe I should Photoshop this baby and do some creative cropping....... :chin: :

Naaaa, you guys all know I can't shoot that good anyway. :wink:

Bill, another thing you can try that has worked for me with these rifles, plus the Browning M78 single shot, is to drill/tap the tenon hanger, install a setscrew to bear against the shim so you can vary the tension. By doing so, you can tweak the tension to find the 'sweet-spot', and watch your groups shrink (or grow) accordingly. It's an old trick Frank deHaas used for many years (Master Riflesmith, author of Single Shot Rifles & Actions, his son Mark, USMC, was responsible for some of the design of the M40 in 'Nam). Good luck with the rifle, let us know how it goes.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

geoff23
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger hb target vt1

Post by geoff23 »

I spent A fair bit of time trying to get my 223 to shoot as well. Packed and glassed the hanger plus floated the barrel , which did improve groups. But there was A huge difference when I push A soft plastic shim between the forearm and barrel as picture. Top group is before plastic shim- bottom is A nice group at 100 yard in windy conditions. hope this may help.
ozfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by ozfox »

the hole floating barrel thing??????
SactoBill

Post by SactoBill »

Thanks Geof23!
geoff23
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger hb target vt1