another cooper question ?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
TrapperDan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 204,cz 527 american 204

another cooper question ?

Post by TrapperDan »

At what distance does cooper shoot their test targets that comes with each new rifle?
Wolves . ISIS of the animal world
ozfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Re: another cooper question ?

Post by ozfox »

thay all say its not at 100yrd. but mine at 100 you can cover 5 shots with a five cent peice
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

I seem to remember 47 yards as the number.
K = ½mv2
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

The target is shot indoors at 43 yards.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Rick in Oregon wrote:The target is shot indoors at 43 yards.
Any idea why, Rick? That's an odd distance for a purpose-built range, so I suspect it resulted from an adaptation of an existing space?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Mike wrote:
Rick in Oregon wrote:The target is shot indoors at 43 yards.
Any idea why, Rick? That's an odd distance for a purpose-built range, so I suspect it resulted from an adaptation of an existing space?
Mike: I was told they do the test shooting in a hallway that's been converted to their 'test range', not really a purpose-built affair at all. The hallway measures out at 43 yds, so that's what they use. Eventually they'll build a proper underground 100yd range, but all the bughole test targets included with their rifles were shot at the 43yd distance......at least for now. If a rifle won't shoot, it'll show up at any range past 25 yds.

If you've ever seen the Nosler test tunnel/range and ballistics lab, you'd wish you could re-design your house around something similar....I know if I was building a house, it would have extensive "underground facilities" that would not bother any neighbors. I'm sure when Cooper expands, they'll have an 'up town range' themselves, and not a paltry hallway to test those magnificent beauties. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

43 yards really! So its safe to say at 100 you can at least double the spread? Wow.
csand
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Firearms

Post by csand »

Irrespective of the 43 yards or the 100 yard spread, Cooper gives a 1/2" at 100 yards accuracy guarantee for their center fire rifles.

I assumed that Cooper sent the test targets as proof that their sharpshooter can shoot my new rifle better than I can :D
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

csand wrote:Irrespective of the 43 yards or the 100 yard spread, Cooper gives a 1/2" at 100 yards accuracy guarantee for their center fire rifles.

I assumed that Cooper sent the test targets as proof that their sharpshooter can shoot my new rifle better than I can :D
Irrespective of what any of them show or quarantee ( TC, Cooper,Weatherby) that is with their load and what they say their rifle will do with their load. Now it is up to you to work up a accurate load. Most of them will give you 1/2 or less at 100 yrds, when you find it. Look at what numerous one's post and show of their rifles and what bug holes they are shooting. Just fun to work and play with them, part of owning our toys. :D Bill K :)
Mike
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper, RRA

Post by Mike »

Valar wrote:43 yards really! So its safe to say at 100 you can at least double the spread? Wow.
Not necessarily, because groups don't always spread out in a linear fashion. Some people shoot a group at 100 yards and then assume the group size can be multiplied out for 200, 300, 400, etc yards. That process doesn't work and I cringe to think about how many people do it and then start lobbing lead at game animals with disastrous consequences (to the animals).

Edit: I certainly don't mean to imply that Valar does this, so I hope that my message was not construed as such.
Valar

Post by Valar »

LOL No offense taken. I look at things with common Geometry principles? I dont know if it applys or not. If they shoot half inch groups at a hundred Thats Great. Not many factory guns can do that for sure,. I know my light barrel Rem Bdls didnt. My heavy barrel Vs 308 is a different animal. It is very accurate with a good shooter. Im not the best. Some days I do very well some days Im off. Im no pro just a avid enthusiast! Tc was mentioned above that is a Gun I plan to acuire. Simple things facinate me. Of course it doesnt take much! Heck Get my yougest Daughter thru College I might even give a cooper or two a whirl. I do love quality wood stocked guns. They just plain have more caracter and bling in my book!
dsandfort
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 BTCSS

Post by dsandfort »

Coopers do shoot. The 43 yard targets just document that fact. I shot this group in a 20 mph wind at 100 yards. Brand new M38 in 17 Hornet with factory ammunition. If I'd done my job, I'm sure the rifle would comply.

Valar

Post by Valar »

In a 20 mph wind with 17 cal bullets thats awsome!!! The wind drift on a 17 I am guessing would be what? 6 inches plus? I guess depends on bullet grains but still no matter impressive. I have considered a 17 call. The only one I have currently is my Beeman Gold Pellet gun. I have to say at 20 yards it is a tac driver. It is also one of my favorite guns.
dsandfort
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 BTCSS

Post by dsandfort »

funny...my air rifle is 20 cal.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

I understand, because I don't have a range setup beyond 100 yards to work with, that some combinations of rifle, cartride and bullet will shoot smaller groups beyond 100 yards because the bullet requires a gretaer distance to stabilize around its center of gravityor mass, rather than its mechanical center. Until it passes that point where it "goes to sleep", it yaws around like a wobbling top. Maybe like a guitar string that is stationary at each end, but vibrates conically in the middle? Can't say for sure because every squirrel I shot at at any range is almost certain to vanish like a pinata at a six-year old's birthday party.