Old powder

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
dsandfort
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 BTCSS

Old powder

Post by dsandfort »

Sadly, I've "inherited" about 20 pounds of various powder left by a friend no longer with us. Most is at least 20 years old and older. Other than just torching it off, what is the best way to dispose of it? I'd be happy to give it away but that would probably be way more trouble than the stuff is worth. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Del
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Re: Old powder

Post by RAMOS »

If it has been stored right, looks and smells right, use it up! With proper storage, there really is no expiration on powder, or primers either. One caution I would offer is NOT to use new reloading data with old powder. Usually not too hard to find old books, though. If you truly do not have a use for it, it can be used as dry fertilizer simply by sprinkling it on the ground. Also, if you give an idea of where you are located, any number of us here would be happy to get it off your shelf! Sorry you lost a friend.
bang bang
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage m10 max1

Post by bang bang »

I to am sorry for your loss. I kinda have a similare story, last year I lost my uncle and inherited his reloading supplies. All his stuff was from 20+ years ago. I decided to load 223 with his old primers and a bunch of old H335 power. Haven't had any trouble at all, couple hundred rounds fired. I wouldn't load my precision loads with the stuff but the groups haven't differed from my new supplies. On the other hand, I did once see a friend throw a hole pound of powder into a camp fire, all I will say is DON'T DO THAT. good luck.
RAMOS
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 12 FLV, Cooper M21

Post by RAMOS »

My inheritance was about 15 pounds of IMR4831 in 1982. The guy that owned it had not reloaded for who knows how many years. Here we are in 2013, still shooting with that powder. Someone here (maybe Rick?) has been using surplus powder from one of the wars. Not the Civil War, it is smokeless powder but, like maybe 50 year old stuff.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Yep, that was me alrighty. I'm still killing mulies and coyotes with my Win M70 .270 Win using my last of the last H4831 that's marked "This is WWII Surplus Powder - Storage life is not guaranteed".

Velocity readings taken each year indicate it does not deviate more than 20-30 fps from baseline every year, depending on temp at time of testing. I'ts been stored inside with me for it's entire life, temp controlled so to speak, and no signs of deterioration so I'll keep shooting my yearly meat deer using the stuff till gone.

A certain fellow of note purchased a few tons of 20mm cannon powder at the end of WWII at a price that would drop your jaw now. Seems some of it is still about to this day.

Interesting note of those last cans....the old price tag is still attached from when I bought a bunch of it in the early 70's.......$2.78. :eek:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

32dgrz
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage

Post by 32dgrz »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Yep, that was me alrighty. I'm still killing mulies and coyotes with my Win M70 .270 Win using my last of the last H4831 that's marked "This is WWII Surplus Powder - Storage life is not guaranteed".

Velocity readings taken each year indicate it does not deviate more than 20-30 fps from baseline every year, depending on temp at time of testing. I'ts been stored inside with me for it's entire life, temp controlled so to speak, and no signs of deterioration so I'll keep shooting my yearly meat deer using the stuff till gone.

A certain fellow of note purchased a few tons of 20mm cannon powder at the end of WWII at a price that would drop your jaw now. Seems some of it is still about to this day.

Interesting note of those last cans....the old price tag is still attached from when I bought a bunch of it in the early 70's.......$2.78. :eek:
Want your money back? ;)
dsandfort
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 BTCSS

Post by dsandfort »

I can't beat $2.78 but I can go down to $4. Problem with the powder is my buddy shot some really big/slow stuff. His smallest caliber was bigger than my biggest (hmmmm.....I might have said that better :chin: )
I've read that "modern" powders, as in the last 40-50 years, are often treated with compounds to control burn rates which make them tougher to decompose as fertilizer.

To be clear, my friend has been gone for some time. It just took a while for his stuff to end up in my shop. Sort of weird going through another mans treasures. Did make me remember some really fun times. Also made me pause more than once and ask "what the heck were you thinking".

I'm in northern Colorado if anyone wants to conduct a salvage mission.
Johnnu
.204 Ruger Guns: SAVAGE PREDATOR

Post by Johnnu »

heck, I recently bought a can of Unique that was so old that I was able to sell the empty can to a collector for $25. The powder was fine and I used every bit of it. I have primers that are probably older than most folks on this forum. They all still go 'boom' and I can take out a woodchuck at 300 yds. JMHO of course.
Bumshot

Post by Bumshot »

I am still using 4831 WW two surplus powder. Bought a hundred pound keg back in the 60s for fifty cents a pound. Can't tell any difference from when I got it. Only have about three pounds left.
The older I get, the better I was.