distance from lands with my new 700

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
mpstan
.204 Ruger Guns: None yet

distance from lands with my new 700

Post by mpstan »

Finally got my rifle back from my gunsmith and got my comparator gauge out to check out my chamber. Using 35g Bergers, I would have to seat my bullets approx -0.030 into the case to touch the lands. That's right, the bullet has to be out of the case to reach. As close as I can tell my factory rounds are seated about 0.200" from the lands.

Is this what others are seeing? I know factory rigs are supposed to be sloppy, but this seems a bit extreme.........

Another quick question, more reloading.......... I plan to load my first 100 rounds (that's all the Nosler brass I bought) using XBR8208 and Xterminator. Are you guys really doing 0.1 grain increments to test loads? That would imply that I'd just be using all 100 rounds for just testing 8208 with five rounds per load....

Thanks

Perry
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Re: distance from lands with my new 700

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

Its well known that the factory saami spec chambers have excessive freebore. Its also very common for the lighter shorter bullets not to be able to reach the lands in a factory 204. The good news is that it doesn't seem to affect accuracy much, the 204 seems to like the jump to the lands.

As far as loads go I typically start somewhere in the middle of the powder manufacturers load data or the Lyman #49 manual and work up from there. Anytime you are working up loads you must be careful and watch for pressure signs.

By the way Xterminator and 8208 are both excellent powder choices for the 204 Ruger. My preference is Xterminator and thats because i have about 30lbs of it. :D

Brad
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

I have a 15 year old Rem 700 Bdl 22-250 I tried touching the lands with 50 Nosler Ballistic tips. I can do it but the finished product doesnt fit in the magazine. This is a common problem with many factory rifles. I worked up some good shooting loads for my rem but the best ones efectivly made it a single shot! I would be curious to see what the results are with a new High end Savage? I understand a factory savage recently took first place in a 600 yard easter egg shoot? Incedently I was surprised to be told it was a factory 223 competing against bench guns? This is here say folks but came from a reliable source in my book? Savage has come along way in the firearms industry in the late years. No I am not promoting them I dont even own a savage other than a old 521 12 gauge. I am sure leaning toward givin one a try! Any or you savage shooters out there ever check freebore?? Im Curious. Not just in 204 either. As posted it seems the 204 doesnt mind a jump to the lands? Either that or we havent seen its true potential? I personaly think the 204 shines in a fast twist 1in 9 and in 10 twist. Just my thoughts. Oh bye the way I have never been real impressed bye the 223 either but it is impresive if the story is true?
Valar

Post by Valar »

Perry inital load testing i do half to a grain increments. I find my best load and then tweak in tenth grain increments later! Sorry I get sidetracked at times :wall:
Incedently you could get your gunsmith to correct freebore in your rifle? It is a bit of a prcess and if a light barrel you might just consider rebarreling to a quality bull barrel at the time? It is costly but the results are most likley impressive! If its heavey barreled already it might be a nice option? I like Remingtons and they make a nice barrel but they often are not lapped as smooth as they should be in my opinion. I hand lap my new rem barrels. Food for thought.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I think you will find more than one rifle has plenty of free bore/throat ( like Roy Weatherby used) this way they get the velocity they want. Not really a new thing. You can set your barrel back, shorten the throat, but then some factory ammo will not then shoot in it, without pressure jumping.. Bill K
Valar

Post by Valar »

Bill K wrote:I think you will find more than one rifle has plenty of free bore/throat ( like Roy Weatherby used) this way they get the velocity they want. Not really a new thing. You can set your barrel back, shorten the throat, but then some factory ammo will not then shoot in it, without pressure jumping.. Bill K
Bill Interesting comment. Seriously, some factory amo will develope to much presure? I would think as long as proper headspace via go and no go was maitained it would be fine? I am not critiquing you. I thought as long as head space was maintained all was well. I know there is typically recommended when rebarreling to hold around .005 clearence from bolt front to barrel face on a REm. That way when tourqed there is still a touch of free play. This would be for gas escape via hole on right side of receiver? Ya got me scratchin my head on this one! But I am still learning! Pop said every day you do not learn something new you were not paying attention! When the free bore is excessive will bolt close on a no go gauge? I honstly have never tried it on my factory guns that are basically unaltered? Please , fill me in also anyone else who may know.
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Valar
Headspace is a seperate isssue from freebore/throat.Your go/no go gage may measure accurately,and still have excessive freebore,determined by the reamer used.It is next to imposible to hit the lands in a factory 204ruger,with most bullets of 40gr or less.If you intend to use your magazine,seat the bullets to fit(max allowable).If you intend to load single,then start COAL around 2.350 +/- .005.I was surprised to reach the lands with a Hornady 45 gr SP in my Rurger #1 varmint.Even more surprised as to how well they shot from a 1;12 twist.As stated the 204 seems to like bullet jump,and you will notice a heavy crimp on factory loads at 1.250 COAL.My belief for the shorter COAL and heavy crimp ,is in deference to autoloaders (ARs,etc).
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Valar wrote:[Seriously, some factory amo will develope to much presure? I would think as long as proper headspace via go and no go was maitained it would be fine?
Valar: Joe described it quite well in regard to headspace, and this issue came up when I built my custom 11-twist M700 a few years ago with a reamer I designed with minimum freebore (and other dimensional changes/improvements). Imagine the pressure curve of the round being fired.....if a factory loaded round is placed into my custom chamber with .015" freebore vs. the whopping SAAMI 204 Ruger spec in excess of .200", the bullet does not clear the case before pressures soar to dangerous levels when fired.

However, if all my handloads were worked up for THAT chamber, no pressure issues appear, accuracy is remarkably better, but the screaming velocity of a factory loaded round will not be achieved. The rather long freebore of the factory chamber allows pressure to drop as soon as the bullet clears the case, and before it enters the rifling/leade as per the Weatherby doctrine.

So my custom 11-twist is working on the same principals as other standard high intensity calibers such as the 223 Remington or the 222 Rem....very short throat, the bullet fully supported in the case neck and still be able to reach the lands (if wanted). So basically with this custom chamber, I traded about 100 fps of velocity for a longer lasting barrel throat and much better accuracy in the Match chamber.

So headspace has absolutely nothing to do with this issue, it's all about chamber dimensions and how the throat is configured via reamer design. If you refer to TK's book on the .20's, you'll see his 204R Match reamer print. I took his print, tightened up more dimensions, reduced the freebore from .065", changed the neck dim to .230" for a "no-turn" tight neck chamber and got the exact chamber I wanted for what I do.....shoot single shot from the bench at far-away rats with pin-point accuracy with any 40gr bullet.

Having other factory chambered 204's alows me to see the actual difference this custom ground reamer gives in regard to both velocity and accuracy. Not truly scientific, but close enough to see the differences in the real world. Clear as mud, right? :D

Oh, and Joe is also correct as to the cartridge overall length of the 204....designed with that silly deep-seated bullet to achieve the same OAL as the 223/5.56 in order to work through the AR platform. That didn't do the bolt gun fans any favors, did it? But did allow for a huge marketing bonanza for the ammunition makers.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Valar. Joe and Rick explained it way better than I could have. Bill K
Valar

Post by Valar »

Makes perfect sense Guys thanks. I learner something new today!!! Now I want to research the diff between sami spec reamers and custom. O also want to check freebore in my Shilen match barreled ar? Curiousity killed that cat but amazes me at times. Knowledge is a very powerfull tool.
Sincerley Thanks Again.