Lets talk suppressors

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Lets talk suppressors

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I have been thinking about getting a suppressor for my AR in 5.56 and my 204 bolt action coyote / sage rat rifle(s). I have read and heard that they actually improve long range shooting performance as well as a much milder report. Has anyone actually used one and what do you think of them? Any brands you have liked or not liked? I know that the heavier the suppressor the more point of impact change will occur. I have been thinking about a suppressor from Wynacos
http://www.wynakosmachine.com/wma_rainier.html. Does anyone have any information about them regarding quality of product? It is getting down to freezing here in Washington so coyote hunting will be at the top of the list soon! :D
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Lets talk suppressors

Post by Bill K »

I would love to have a couple also, for the noise pollution and DCB levels.. But being in Kalifornia ( You know idiot Feinstein and Boxer's mentality/gang mode) we can not do so. They would be so nice. Bill K :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

sidewinder: We use them here on sage rats with both bolt guns and AR's. Not all the time mind you, as the rats really don't seem to mind rifle fire too much, or they're just plain dumb (think: rat-brain). But we have noticed the rats stay up longer closer when shooting supressed, so there's one advantage.

Dave, one of my sons shooting his supressed M700 tactical 223 from the bench on our little hillside that overlooks a 480 acre alfalfa field:

Another one of Dave shooting his Noveske supressed AR:

We have experience with Tactical Solutions, SureFire and Gemtech, can't offer anything on Wynakos Machine, sorry, just never heard of 'em. Dave told me some of the operators returning from the sandbox told him that indeed L/R performance seemed to be enhanced when shooting supressed, but all that is really ancedotal, not hard data. But I tend to listen to guys who've spent that much time behind a rifle.

But thankfully most states now allow them, including Oregon. Sorry Bill for the sad state of affairs in Kommiefornia....got friends here that are refugees from that place and say they ain't lookin' back. This is just one more reason.

As for supressors, I'm considering one too, but just finished a kitchen remodel, so may be awhile. But I'm thinking another 20VT in walkabout configuration, supressed....... :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Sidewinderwa

Post by Sidewinderwa »

Rick, of the 3 that you have tried, did any of them stand out as better than the others? Have you decided on a brand for your 20 VarTarg?
onebreath280
.204 Ruger Guns: 204 ruger AR-15

Post by onebreath280 »

I wonder if the speed of the 204R would shorten the life of a can? Rick, that sure is a nice table Dave is shooting from, do you have any info on it.
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

Sidewinder,
I see you're a neighbor..
If you want to see/handle them. Ranch & Home typically has some, but I recommend you go see Laif Larsen in Pasco. High country in Moses also carries some.

Personally I like surefire. But think Yankee hill makes very nice stuff, just very heavy. The "shoots better" deal is because a suppressor is essential the world's best crown job.
While you may think you don't need plugs with them, the spl's are still quite high. Just changes the tonal qualities. Each is different.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Sidewinderwa wrote:Rick, of the 3 that you have tried, did any of them stand out as better than the others? Have you decided on a brand for your 20 VarTarg?
I personally don't have that much experience with them, but from what I gather from my son who has dialoges with operators OUTUS, the SureFire is the best in all regards. Most of their offereings are MILSPEC and currently deployed. When I'm ready, I'll probably opt for the SF.
onebreath280 wrote:Rick, that sure is a nice table Dave is shooting from, do you have any info on it.
Well.....yes. That is a very early prototype BR Pivot dating back to around 1994...one of the first I ever made. I held a U.S. Patent on the original for ten years, sold them to LE, military all over the world (22 countries) and many to PD/rat shooters here in the states. When I retired I sold the patent and manufacturing rights to Battenfield Technologies/MidwayUSA which now offers a version made offshore with the same name. I've been told it's the best portable rotating field bench ever made ('course I always thought so :wink: ).

This is a shot of my personal BR Pivot Lite on my little hillside overlooking a prime alfalfa field with my Cooper 20 VarTarg aboard a few months ago during a ground squirrel shoot:

You'll note all components are either machined or cast in "girder" style for strength and lightness....all castings were made by a Boeing Aircraft casting manufacturer, all parts were 6061 T6 aircraft alloy, and the top was oak or ash hardwood edge-glued 'butcher block' style with a dental stool for a seat. In the rat patch, it is the cats meow, as the shooter can acquire and engage targets in a full 360* arc in short order. I also use mine for my load development and chronographing.

Me on my bench glassing my rat field, taken from "my best side" while shooting my 11-twist M700 204:

We imported quite a few BRP's to Oz over the years.......guess none have come your way so far?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

_RJ_
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington

Post by _RJ_ »

Here's my 204 with my SureFire 762SS on it. I recommend getting one (any suppressor) if you can. Not that the 204 has much recoil but suppressor and brake killed 99.99%. Suppressor life, I'm not sure what that is? In the Marine Corps we put a lot of rounds through our suppressors and got them really hot; you could see the baffle outlines on the outside of the can and never had a problem.

Sidewinderwa

Post by Sidewinderwa »

I understand that a suppressor does not stop all the sound....but the movies could not be wrong!!! :eek: I actually used a suppressed 308 last year while hog hunting at night in Texas. We did not need ear plugs. I have already lost some hearing and am very protective of my hearing. I had ear plugs with me but did not need them.

I will check out the SureFire 762SS. Would you get another Surefire if you were to get another one?

Thanks for the replies.
tinytree
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 1A

Post by tinytree »

i apologize for running off-track here, but, RJ, can you tell me what your bottom metal/mag is? i have a rem varm 204 in an older hs precision pss stock, and am trying to decide how to come up with a det mag system.
thanks for any info!!!

ed
TwentyBore
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV

Post by TwentyBore »

onebreath280 wrote:I wonder if the speed of the 204R would shorten the life of a can? Rick, that sure is a nice table Dave is shooting from, do you have any info on it.
Not at any reasonable rifle barrel length. With the .223, once your barrel gets down to 10" or less, THEN the amount of still-unburned, hot particulate can wear at the first baffle significantly. If you're talking 16" or longer barrel, I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

Also, be aware that while cans will make things a lot more quiet, often it's still not quite hearing-safe.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

sidewinder: Dave's suppressor shown on his AR and M700 is a GemTech "Sandstorm". It weighs 14 ozs, is titanium and has the same POI with or w/o the supressor mounted....a sweet thing indeed.

No degragation of accuracy and suitable for .30 cal or less.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

tinytree wrote:i apologize for running off-track here, but, RJ, can you tell me what your bottom metal/mag is? i have a rem varm 204 in an older hs precision pss stock, and am trying to decide how to come up with a det mag system.
thanks for any info!!!ed
Ed, not RJ, but here's but one outlet for detatchable M700 magazines....there's many, and H-S offers their own bottom metal also:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/528435 ... inum-black

HTH
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

tinytree
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger 1A

Post by tinytree »

thanks, rick! that looks like maybe what is on his rifle, too. it looks like an AI mag, anyway.
Sidewinderwa

Post by Sidewinderwa »

The Gemtek Trek and Trek-T look interesting for the 5.56 and 204.