New rifle

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
publius
.204 Ruger Guns: none

New rifle

Post by publius »

Thinking of getting into the .204 game and am wondering about rifles. Have been a Model 700 man my whole life but I don't trust their QC anymore. What are the opinions of the Ruger VT? I like the heavy weight and long barrel but am wondering about accuracy and out of the box trigger? If not Ruger, who? I really want something heavy with at least a 24" barrel and wide forend. Don't really like the looks of the Savage even though they are accurate guns. Thanks all.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Re: New rifle

Post by Glen »

CZ Varmint.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Lead Lobber
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Mark II Target Barrel Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x40

Post by Lead Lobber »

I own a Ruger Varmint/Target chambered in 204.....darn good rifle, I prefer the trigger on this rifle vs the Savage. I would take either over a CZ. Just my opinion..... If I had the patients and room in my safe I would probably order a Cooper.

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

I had a 700 and it was a fine rifle...but I heard the siren song of a Cooper .204 Phoenix and like turned into love! Of course the Cooper was twice the price of the Remington! Howa is another option to look at. Gary
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Captqc wrote:Howa is another option to look at.
Like anybody here will tell you, the rifle they are shooting, is, the best. As far as I know, Captqc, does not own or shoot a Howa, but I do. For the price, you will not find a better rifle, and the quality is there too. With a little load work, I got mine shooting way better than I am capable of. Sub MOA, with my reloads. Can't say anything as for factory rounds, as this rifle has never seen one. I did change out the factory trigger for a Timney. If you are not concerned about price, you can't beat a Cooper!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Cooper. C-Z Varmint/Target (wider forend than wood version). I'm not a Savage fan, either, but I wouldn't kick their Predator Max 1 (24" fluted bbl., DBM, Accustock) out of bed. If you can find one, the Tikka Varmint might be right up your alley; that'll be my next .204 to slot in between my Cooper and LVSF.
terrace
.204 Ruger Guns: MK II TARGET SS LAMINATE,COOPER PHOENIX

Post by terrace »

I also have a ruger vt . awesome trigger and after bedding it shoots as well as my cooper
Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

futuretrades wrote:
Captqc wrote:Howa is another option to look at.
Like anybody here will tell you, the rifle they are shooting, is, the best. As far as I know, Captqc, does not own or shoot a Howa, but I do. For the price, you will not find a better rifle, and the quality is there too. With a little load work, I got mine shooting way better than I am capable of. Sub MOA, with my reloads. Can't say anything as for factory rounds, as this rifle has never seen one. I did change out the factory trigger for a Timney. If you are not concerned about price, you can't beat a Cooper!

Kevin, I was hoping you would chime in as I was thinking of your Howa when I listed it as an option. Gary
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

My Howa is sub 1/2 MOA with the right loads. You can buy the barreled action and then pick a stock you like. Any Howa or Weatherby Vanguard stock will work. Shoots factory Fiocchi 40 grain V max 1/2 MOA or less. The trigger is adjustable to about 3 lbs or so and is as good or better than Savage.
K = ½mv2
savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

Post by savageboy23 »

Bodei wrote:My Howa is sub 1/2 MOA with the right loads. You can buy the barreled action and then pick a stock you like. Any Howa or Weatherby Vanguard stock will work. Shoots factory Fiocchi 40 grain V max 1/2 MOA or less. The trigger is adjustable to about 3 lbs or so and is as good or better than Savage.
I can't find a local dealer here in central Minnesota who can order just the barreled action.
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
bow shot
.204 Ruger Guns: Rock River Arms AR-15 Varminter
Location: Central NY: infested with liberal wack-jobs and their damage

Post by bow shot »

If I had to do it all over again, I'd:

Buy a savage or stevens action
Put a Shilen, Kreiger, McGowen etc. barrel on it.
Get a decent stock and bed it myself.
Since I only kill 'chuck and such, which means shooting maybe 1x every 1/2 hour, I would NOT go bull barrel again.

That said, I had a Savage VLP (accutrigger) that was great. It was my learning curve gun. Great trigger, and shot .5" easy, and .3" when I was shooting well (I'm not a very good shooter...) always off a bipod, bag in back.

Rock River AR for me now, but its a pain in the arse in these regards:
1) Always FL size
2) Crappy trigger that required some TLC to get it nice
3) NYS thinks they kill people, so they are now illegal here unless you register it.
4) I don't like the feel of everyting being metal.
5) weighs a ton to lug around for miles as I walk woods and fields.

But wow... can that dude shoot, LOL!! Matches the VLP no problem, took very little effort to achieve a great load.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

savageboy23 wrote:
Bodei wrote:My Howa is sub 1/2 MOA with the right loads. You can buy the barreled action and then pick a stock you like. Any Howa or Weatherby Vanguard stock will work. Shoots factory Fiocchi 40 grain V max 1/2 MOA or less. The trigger is adjustable to about 3 lbs or so and is as good or better than Savage.
I can't find a local dealer here in central Minnesota who can order just the barreled action.
See if one of your dealers will or can contact Legacy Sports, in Reno, Nv and have one sent. They are the dealer/owners of Howa. Bill k
savageboy23
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 700 sps varmint

Post by savageboy23 »

Bill K wrote:
savageboy23 wrote:
See if one of your dealers will or can contact Legacy Sports, in Reno, Nv and have one sent. They are the dealer/owners of Howa. Bill k
I was told by howa that all there dealers could get them. But if I ask the dealer they tell me otherwise. :mad:
Remington 700 sps varmit with Leupold vx-3 6.5-20 adj objective HS Precision stock and timney trigger
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

I agree with Glen, CZ Varmint is always my first choice for a factory rifle. I would also recommend the Howa 204 as Bill K. noted, they are excellent shooters and a great value.
Bodei
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mod 1500 24" BBL .204R; Cooper M21 20 VT; CZ 527 17HH

Post by Bodei »

I got my Howa barreled action from my local FFL. I think your dealer is pulling your leg.
K = ½mv2