204 bullet drop recticle

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Motoshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka

204 bullet drop recticle

Post by Motoshooter »

Is there any scope out there that has a bullet drop recticle that works for us 204 guys?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: 204 bullet drop recticle

Post by Rick in Oregon »

There's no one reticle that is exact for various ballistics found in varmint rifle cartridges, but the one that's most likely the best for what we do is the Varmint Hunter Reticle from Leupold. I've got something like nine of them in various Leupolds for rat shooting, and find them useful clear out to 600 yards.....farther than most varmints are shot. I've got this reticle in all my 204's, and find it very effective on my Cooper 20VT also.

The wind 'ticks' are also very useful for wind holdoff, and once you shoot at various distances to check reticle intersection with bullet impact, you've got a useful system for holdover for ranges out to as far as you'd ever shoot a varmint.

There's some others out there, but this one is far and above most of the other offerings. You can spend mucho bucks for a Horus system, but them you're lugging a palm pilot in the field, and taking more time to figure shooting solutions than actually shooting. JME
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

The Zeiss Rapid-Z Varmint works very well. It also has a built in rangefinder.

HTH,
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Before I had my Leupold VXII shipped to me, I had Leupold set up a custom reticle for my 204. If you own a Leupold scope, or may be planning on buying a Leupold, you can have this done for you. The only problem with this is, the long range dots are calibrated to just one bullet, and for just minor allowances for altitude. To have this done you will need to send in some specifics, like bullet weight, bullet bc, altitude where most shooting is done, average temp for region, and a couple other things that I can't remember at this time. When I had this done we had purdy much only one bullet to use, the 32 grain VMax, when the 39's came out, I did get somewhat lucky because, with a lot of shooting, with my rifle, The dots in the scope, were close enough to use for both bullets, out to around 400 yards. JME
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
benellibrian
.204 Ruger Guns: ar15 .204

Post by benellibrian »

Zeiss works well . Mine has HD5 with varmint reticle.
247sniper
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom .204 Ruger !

Post by 247sniper »

why not dial in mate it is far more accurate then hold over? :D
ghilledup
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Centre Venture

Post by ghilledup »

Any BDC will work, some are better than others. I have the Vortex Dead-Hold BDC reticle on my 204. It has small hashes that are used similar to mil-dots..in my rifle with the 39gr Sierra load it has 4 holdover hashes that will get you out past 600 yards, I have my rifle zeroed at 200 yards and the 1st hash below the crosshair is 312 yds...This works great for coyote hunting but for precision I would adjust the clickers