Bipods

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
chubby
.204 Ruger Guns: howa model 1500

Bipods

Post by chubby »

Been visiting this forum as a guest for a good while now to gather information to build a .204. I have gotten lots of valuable and useful info from searching most all of the forums. Since then, I have got my new .204 assembled and put together, and am enjoying the added benefits of becoming a member. Everyone seems to be very knowledgeable and helpful. My last purchase....for now is a bipod. I intend to in the upcoming Spring and Summer months help my local farmers with the removal of their crop of groundhogs. I don't want something huge hanging off the front of the rifle but don't want anything that is not big enough ether. Any thoughts on a brand and size would be helpful.

Thanks !

John
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Bipods

Post by Bill K »

For most shooting, if you want a bipod, the 6-9 inch Harris is hard to beat. Bill K
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Hands down the best unit out there is from Harris Engineering. The "S" models are sweet, and allow swiveling to match uneven terrain. They even meet or exceed MIL-Spec, and are used by virtually all our armed forces.

I have a number of them, and my original one, purchased in 1970 is still going strong.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Smash
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom Built AR15

Post by Smash »

Can I make a different suggestion? I have shot off of and used bipods, and I ended up going to shooting sticks. Bipods were just a tiny bit too short for me to shoot from the sitting position (which is where 99% of all my shots at coyotes are taken from). You can make your own sticks, so you can make them as tall or short as you need them. They are almost infinitely adjustable for different slopes, and types of terrain you are going to be shooting from. You can use different materials for coating them, for making your "pivot point"...and even for the sticks themselves.

My sticks are two pieces of 3/8" stainless tubing. I roughed them up and shot some Rhino Lining on them. I use castration bands for the pivot points. The rhino liner stuck for about two years and started to peel off. I just wrapped them with black electrical tape.

I like sticks because I can slip them through my belt when I'm walking to a stand and I don't have a heavy bipod attached to the end of my rifle. Which makes running shots on coyotes, or whatever pops up, much easier.

Anyway...just something for you to consider. Sticks are much cheaper to make. Lighter than a bipod. And much more adjustable to you and your environment.

If you're still stuck on a bipod....the above posters are right. The Harris is the gold standard of bipods.
204foxguy
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 12 lrpv

Post by 204foxguy »

Chubby,

If I were going to be shooting Ground Hogs in farm lands I would set up with shooting sticks.
I have used them when I shot a Ground Hog appx 18 mo's ago- the prpoerty owner wanted it gone.
17 HMR ,shot was @ 75 yds - Head Shot. DRT
Heres some already made you may want to have a look at( not too expensive appx $15-16.00.
Johnny Stewart Predator Stick By Hunter's Specialties.
Another option are the Stoney Point Steady Stix II, I have used these out west Elk Hunting $25-35.00.

Here is additionl info on shooting with shooting stix :)

http://www.chuckhawks.com/steady_stix.htm
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I also use sticks when out coyote hunting, bipods for fixed position shooting from prone; they all work well. Another option is something available commercially, but I like to dink about in the shop so made what I call the "varmint stake".....works excellent for prone and sitting, fully adjustable and also doubles as a walking stick.

It's been posted here before, but as chuck season is just ready to get started, here it is again. Cost is the best point: Zero dinero. There's many ways to skin that proverbial cat. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Smash

Post by Smash »

Rick, I like that shooting stake. I might have to try to build something like that myself. I really like the price!
trappinjohn
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Post by trappinjohn »

That varmint stake looks pretty slick, thanks Rick. I like my Harris adjustable for groundhog hunting, but like sticks for coyotes
Saw this posted on another board and have made a few of these in different lengths. Work pretty good and only a couple $.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPQe2tCGAQk
Last edited by trappinjohn on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Nice video and show and tell.. I like Rick and other use both sticks and bipods, just depends on what, where and how I am out shooting. Bill K
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

I've been shooting groundhogs for quite a few years now & have never owned a bipod. Prolly never will. It just adds weight IMO. I prefer a 3 legged chair with my homemade adjustable sticks for the crop fields. We shoot those fields until the hay is cut. By then the crops are too tall. Hay field hogs are shot off bales for the most part. We do have 1 Farmer that prefers to remove all bales from his fields. On his farm we get the chairs & sticks back out. My Wife prefers a monopod over sticks.

Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Smash wrote:Rick, I like that shooting stake. I might have to try to build something like that myself. I really like the price!
Well, if you decide to build one for yourself, here's an overall view of mine to give you ideas for your build:

The rifle cradle has clear plastic aquarium tubing over it to protect the rifle stock.

Bipods, sticks, stake, bags, bench......I use 'em all. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Smash

Post by Smash »

Thanks Rick....I'll try to put something together when I get home from this deployment.

I saw a pic of you shooting in another thread....with an interesting jacket on...
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Glen wrote:I've been shooting groundhogs for quite a few years now & have never owned a bipod. Prolly never will. It just adds weight IMO. I prefer a 3 legged chair with my homemade adjustable sticks for the crop fields. We shoot those fields until the hay is cut. By then the crops are too tall. Hay field hogs are shot off bales for the most part. We do have 1 Farmer that prefers to remove all bales from his fields. On his farm we get the chairs & sticks back out. My Wife prefers a monopod over sticks.

Glen...I saw several coyote's last weekend in Monument Valley but they're off limits.