My Predicament!!

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
boomer84
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 sps varmint

My Predicament!!

Post by boomer84 »

Hi all I have a little problem!

I was in a gun shop yesterday and upon talking to the bloke about shooting and the usual. He asked which calibre's I have and when I said 204 he said I have a amazing 204 out the back would I care to have a look? Well my mate said my eyes lit up like a kid in a candy store that just seen the huge all day sucker!! And begged him to show me it at once! But as I recall is I simply said sure why not! Well out he comes with this Ruger no1 chambered in 204. Well as the pressure rose in my briefs and the thoughts of wow this is WOW!!! filled my head. As new condition old bloke died (friend of the gun shop owner) and had only put 20-50 rounds through it, wood was perfect the only blemish on it was my smudgy fingers.

My 204, Remington 700 SPS varmint. With McMillan Winchester marksman stock, 3" removed from the barrel and trigger lightens and crisp as! Shoots Nosler 40gn BTs and 39gn SBK's sub .5 all day long!

What's the problem u say?

I can only afford one of them!!!

I love my 700 but it has no sentimental value too me and I could see me getting very attached to the no1! If I pass this up it will most likely be the last one I ever get to see in this cal again! Here in West Australia.

So I need all the help I can get on this as the two main factors for my decision are as follows. #1. I already have a great shooting 204 with a few mods to go like a jewell trigger to get her shooting better if that is possible! #2. Just scared that it won't shoot as good as I already have got. Knowing not a real lot about no1's only what I've seen from on this wonderful site!!

So what would u do if in my shoes????

Sorry for the long winded post but I really am in two minds!!

Boomer.
tuck2

Re: My Predicament!!

Post by tuck2 »

Keep what you have. The Ruger looks good , some shoot small groups, others don't. I have two # 1 s , a 243 Win and a 25-06 but their accuracy is pore . Free floating the barrel , adding a forearm hanger, and having a space between the action and scope base has improved the accuracy of some # 1 s. The varmint models are known for better accuracy than the sporter models.
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

tuck2 wrote:Keep what you have. The Ruger looks good , some shoot small groups, others don't. I have two # 1 s , a 243 Win and a 25-06 but their accuracy is pore . Free floating the barrel , adding a forearm hanger, and having a space between the action and scope base has improved the accuracy of some # 1 s. The varmint models are known for better accuracy than the sporter models.
Agree. Plus, the Ruger is single-shot and probably heavier if heavy-barreled.
Sometimes the grass isn't greener over there.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

As much as I love the #1, which I don't own, I would never give up my Howa in 204, just to justify getting a #1. It is my opinion that if it ain't broke, don't fix it! :chin: I have to agree with previous posters. Besides, from what I hear from a few owners of #1's, some take a lot of work to get them to shoot.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Love those ruger's also, but stay with what you have. In the long haul you will be better off. :D Bill K :)
boomer84

My Predicament!!

Post by boomer84 »

Cheers guys for your input and have confirmed my fears of the #1. I was expecting real mixed opinions. The single shot is not a worry just mainly the accuracy that had me worried and it was a sporter barrel on it too.

I think i might just put a little more into my remmy a squeeze what else I can out of it. She has come a long way since the factory!

Boomer.
soother223
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by soother223 »

The grass is always greener they say...
Stick with your old friend...
boomer84

My Predicament!!

Post by boomer84 »

I reckon I will!