Ruger predator in 204

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
VAshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: NEF Handi-rifle

Ruger predator in 204

Post by VAshooter »

I just ordered the new Ruger American in 204 its on back order any one got their hands on one yet
Roach68
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12, 20" barrel

Re: Ruger predator in 204

Post by Roach68 »

Let us know how this works out, rifle looks interesting. What did it cost you out the door?
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Several on Gunbroker now. Seem to go from under $800 to $1000 plus ("Buy Now"option...ouch!)
VAshooter

Post by VAshooter »

I paid $398.79 out the door hopefully it will be in this week I will give you all a report then I cant wait
VAshooter

Post by VAshooter »

Picked it up last night, I have the Ruger American in 30/06 and it is a tack driver but feels kind of cheap and love it. But the Ruger American Predator seems better built. I bought a Hawke 4+16+44 varmit scope for it too, I have several Hawke scopes and they are very clear and have never gave me any issues. Im going to try to get it to the range this week end I will give a report then
RowdyYates

Post by RowdyYates »

RowdyYates wrote:Several on Gunbroker now. Seem to go from under $800 to $1000 plus ("Buy Now"option...ouch!)
Oops...brain fart. I saw "Ruger Predator" and assumed it was the 77 Hawkeye Predator with Green Mountain stock, as they seem to be in demand and scarce. Hope you enjoy your Ruger AMERICAN Predator!
VAshooter

Post by VAshooter »

Rowdy I got to shoot it this week end and im very pleased with it. I sighted it in with factory loads and then with my hand loads. from the little bit of shooting I did it looks like BLc2 is going to be my go to powder 1/2 groups at 100 yds some smaller. The bolt and the saftey were a bit stiff but after working them a little they smoothed out quite a bit.
RowdyYates

Post by RowdyYates »

Wow, sounds good. And the price ain't bad, either! Looks like Ruger's modernization program is paying off.
rfd
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV

Post by rfd »

i have an RAR in .243win and i really like it. i used rockite to stiffen the fore end and add weight to the butt end and after a good barrel break-in, going throgh a variety of my hand loads, it's doing a consistent under 3/4" grouping without cooling down the 22" sporter barrel.

i was considering ordering the RAP (predator) in .204r but my thinking is that the barrel length (22") is both too short and not heavy enuf (though very slightly heavier than the RAR barrel). the RAP's threaded muzzle and mossy green synth stock are of no importance, to me. in fact, with regards to the RAR/RAP synth stock, boyds' is due out this month with a lam replacement, which i'll definitely order. so to satisfy my .204r craving, instead i ordered out a savage 12fv w/26" heavy weight tube ... it's due in late this week. can't wait. :wink:
NRA Life Member
53eldorado
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger American Predator

Post by 53eldorado »

Ordered one as soon as they became available. Got it in early June and slowly pieced the rest of it together. Bought some 32 and 40 grain Hornady for it the other day and as soon as I can get some time I will take it out to sight it in. Really looking forward to working with this caliber.
VAshooter

Post by VAshooter »

rfd, that is preaty good groups. I have the RAR in 30-06 and I like the feel of the RAP stock much better than the RAR.I think the barrel on the RAP is weight foward more than the RAR. I sand baged my 204 and i can hit hole for hole with it in my handloads
rfd
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV

Post by rfd »

in comparing the RAR and RAP 22" barrels, there isn't much more meat to the RAP tube ... not enuf that would help it dissipate heat in lots (3 to 5, or more) of close consecutive firings, imho. the savage 12fv with its Much heavier (and longer 26") near bull barrel should help a huge amount with rising heat from small intervals 'tween shots. the prominant difference 'tween the pencil and heavy barrels is gonna be the hauling around weight. if rapid fire and overall weight were issues, one logical path would be cut down a savage 12fv barrel to 22". just stuff to consider, and it all depends on wants, and needs, and resources. for me, i want/need that heavy duty 26" tube for my .204ruger. 8)
NRA Life Member