chrome moly vs stainless steel

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
TrapperDan
.204 Ruger Guns: remington 700 204,cz 527 american 204

chrome moly vs stainless steel

Post by TrapperDan »

Is there any difference in accuracy, barrel life, cleaning , fouling etc. In other words is there any advantage one over the other :chin: . Thanks, Dan
Wolves . ISIS of the animal world
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: chrome moly vs stainless steel

Post by Bill K »

Personally, I believe it really boils down to SS being less worrisome on the rust issue. Maybe I am looking at it in too simple a manner, but that is the only reason I feel SS is worth the extra money. I clean, lube and care for all my firearms, after use and have never had any issues, and all but one are Blue moly. My .02 worth, for what it is worth. :D Bill K :)
TwentyBore
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV

Post by TwentyBore »

Stainless is softer and easier to machine, so it is easier for a manufacturer to do a good job on it. However, a good shop can do just as well of a job on chro-mo as they can on stainless, and there is evidence that a well-made chro-mo *may* have a slight accuracy edge over stainless.

Also, because chro-mo is harder, it can last more rounds than can the stainless. However, for reasons that I don't understand, stainless tends to hold its accuracy very well right up until the barrel is shot-out, whereas chro-mo supposedly loses accuracy on a more linear function, all along the life cycle.

As for rusting, I guess it depends on how you treat the barrel. If you have a problem with your firearms rusting, then sure, I guess that seals it for stainless. Otherwise, I don't know if it's a big deal.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I read an article many years ago that the author stated that;

-stainless steel barrels would generally shoot better over a longer period of time than a chrome moly barrel.
-stainless steel barrels would last longer (more rounds) than a chrome moly barrel.
-stainless steel barrels were less prone to fire cracking than a chrome moly barrel.
-stainless steel barrels are softer than chrome moly barrels making them easier to work with.
-there is no difference in accuracy.

Personally, I don't know. I can say however, before I turned my NM M14 back in, it had 7200+ rounds through it, measured a -4 on the throat gage and shooting M852 (mass-produced) ammunition, it would clean a 600 yard target (all 10s and Xs) and it had a chrome moly barrel in it. IMO, one of the biggest factors with round count (and all other things being equal) is going to be the quality of the steel.
Nor Cal Mikie
.204 Ruger Guns: None. Had a 16" barreled rear grip SP that was WAY too wild.

Post by Nor Cal Mikie »

I would say stainless steel is easier to care for. Not as much concern about rust. And I've heard that stainless steel can be harder to machine so who really knows for sure? How did we ever survive before the stainless steel barrels came out? :?
One thing that I know for sure is, a chrome molly steel barrel with a deep blue polished finish is a beautiful thing to behold. They have a classic look. 8)