any recomended 204 loads for a TC icon Precision Hunter???

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
chris_32212
.204 Ruger Guns: none currently

any recomended 204 loads for a TC icon Precision Hunter???

Post by chris_32212 »

I have a TC Icon Precision Hunter in 204 and I am struggling to find a load that will shoot consistently better than 1" at 100yards. If memory serves this rifle should be 1 in 10 twist.

I have checked the Max COAL with eight different bullets from different manufacturers ranging from a 26gr Barnes Varmint Grenade to a 55gr Berger VLD.
26gr Barnes Varmint Grenade
32gr VMAX
40gr VMAX
32gr Nosler Varmegedon
40gr Nosler Ballistic Tip
39gr Sierra Blitz King
55gr Berger VLD
45gr Hornaday SP (This is the only one of the 8 that I do not currently have on hand, used them all)

The shortest Maximum COAL that I have measured with my Hornaday OAL gauge is 2.353" for the 45gr Hornaday Soft Point. I loaded that bullet to 2.330" OAL which gave me 0.023" jump to the rifling and left a 0.19" seating depth. (I want to reduce the jump further but was and still am not comfortable with reducing the seating depth to less than the caliber of the bullet being seated. In most cases for the rest of the bullets I checked the Max COAL with in this rifle, the bullet would be seated by far less than half of the the caliber size if I were to seat that bullet to the rifling. And in some cases the seating depth would be 0.010 to reach the rifling like with the 55gr Berger VLD. So I have three questions:

What is your minimum recommended bullet seating depth?
Can anyone point me to a better performing load for this rifle and perhaps save me some time?
What would you do if you kept finding really long Max COAL for your rifle?

More info below:

I have only loaded two different bullets for this rifle so far:
40gr Nosler Ballistic tip and a 45gr Hornaday soft point. I used H332, H335, and Benchmark for the Nosler and worked all three to the max load without finding a load that would shoot that bullet very well. I loaded the 45gr Hornaday soft point with Varget only and worked it to the max load and was able to sporadically get a couple very nice groupings with it so I intend to get some more of them and load them with something like H335 and try to find something that will shoot that bullet well more consistently
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: any recomended 204 loads for a TC icon Precision Hunter?

Post by futuretrades »

From what I read from you, it is my personal opinion that you seem to be chasing your, tail so to speak. As far as bullet jump, don't worry about it. The 204 does like a long jump in most cases. Pick one bullet to start with, and if you can lay your hands on some RE10x powder, pick it up, (My personal experience w/H335 in the 204, was a waste of my time and money!) My go to powders in the 204 are RE10x w/39's and Benchmark w/32's. But my Howa is a 12 twist. Another powder that might just be better for your loads is H4895. Once you find a combination that seems work, then start adjusting your seating depth. Only change ONE thing at a time. Also I didn't see a mention of the primers you are using. And be very careful when loading to a max charge. You may have to choose between velocity and accuracy. Speed does not always mean accuracy!
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
chris_32212
.204 Ruger Guns: none currently

Post by chris_32212 »

I agree that I am chasing my tail on this. But just to clarify, I wasn't changing the seating depth during my load work ups. What I was trying to illustrate was that I cannot safely get these bullets anywhere close to the rifling. I use CCI primers, BR-4's if I have them on hand. I bought a 20" bushmaster AR in 223 ten years ago and it shoots everything well but I quickly found a small handful of combinations that consistently turn in 1/4-1/2 moa. I thought for sure I would be able to get the Nosler 40gr ballistic tip to shoot well but I couldn't (not with the powders I tried anyways that had worked so well for me in the past with my 223) I will try to find the powders you suggested because it can certainly be said that nothing that worked with my bushy is working for me with this 204. I thought I was buying a lights out bolt gun and it's been disappointing in comparison to old bess
fishnbob
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C venture predator

Post by fishnbob »

I read in your post you have only tried 40 and 45 gr bullets. I have a t/c venture predator 204 and they say it is a 1/10 twist but still could not get the 40's to group like the 32 and 39's. My suggestion would be to try a lighter bullet or the 39 gr sbk before you get to frustratedm. HTH
Bob
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

For the most part the bullets over 39gr are either gonna work in a few rifles,, or not in most rifles. There are those middle ground rifles that will tolerate them. When mine wouldn't shoot the 40gr V-Max worth a darn I backed up to the 39gr Sierras & rolled from there.

The 40gr Bergers also shoot 3/4" "for the most part" & that is what I carry for coyotes since I rarely can shoot them past 100yds here anyhow. The 45gr Hornady SP's shoot the same but after 100yds they get really wild. I only use those when I know I will be under 100yds for coyotes.

Reaching the lands isn't critical for the 204. I'm not questioning anybodies reloading experience here,, I'm a novice myself,, but are you making powder charge jumps larger than .2grs at a time?
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Chris, you are comparing 2 different rifles and 2 different calibers. Remember each and every rifle, no matter caliber, is its own animal, so to to speak. IMHO it will just take a little time and patience, and I believe you will find that load. Like the other posters stated, the 39 and 32 grain bullets seam to be the most accurate in the 204R. I think if you work with these 2 bullets, you will find a load that shoots very well in that 204R! ;)
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

For my 204's I set mine to MAX OAL [which I believe is 2.260"] and just go with it. The jumps in mine are quite large and they all are capable of shooting .250" x .250" at 200 yards. I've done this with H4895 and RL15 with a 39 SBK; and I'm sure if I tested further I could do close to the same [if not equal or better] with RL10x and Benchmark. Others here have reported good results with H335, WIN 748, CFE, and IMR 8208XBR.

For primers, it seems the Remington 7 1/2 is the most popular.

Bullets; 39 SBK's work in all of my rifles as does the 35 Berger. The Hornady 40VMAX worked in one but not the others. I have some 40 Nosler Ballistic tips to try.

HTH,
Bungeye
.204 Ruger Guns: T/Centre

Re: any recomended 204 loads for a TC icon Precision Hunter???

Post by Bungeye »

Hi Chris
I reload this rifle with 39SBK
Mine likes Nosier brass, Win 748 @28.6 with CCI 450 primers. Shoots 0.5 and better with Bags at 100m. Rifle in XLR stock and heavily suppressed. OAL is book. On initial set up the bore was very true with rail and scope. Surprisingly good. 5R Barrel cleans up well.
40 Vmax were almost as good and cheaper. Love this rifle. Has a great action that when barrel shot out will be the base for next project. Check action screws. I haven't played with other powders but 10x would be the other on the list. Don't despair for a factory rifle there good.
ClaimJumper
.204 Ruger Guns: 3 custom .204's,22-250ai, 5-223, 6br Norma, Savage builds

Re: any recomended 204 loads for a TC icon Precision Hunter???

Post by ClaimJumper »

Chris there is a new option for accuracy and the 32's and 34's it's Accurate LT-32 powder. Might not be the fastest bullets shot but they are the most accurate I can load in all temps and conditions.

LT-32 Powder
Norma Brass
CCI-450 primers
32 V-Max or 34 Dogtowns These weights are known to shoot in 99% of all 204's made.
sweet load. It beats my Exterminator and R-10x loads!

They have online load data available.

Don

Retired Timber faller