ladder test-visibility question

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
ilikespeed
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar

ladder test-visibility question

Post by ilikespeed »

Have a great opportunity to get to the range this weekend for the first time in months. I want to run a ladder test with my 204 Ruger. I believe it will work best at 200 yards. I have a 6-20X40 Bushnell Elite 4200 on the rifle. With it being the weekend and the range will be busy I won't have a lot of time to experiment with moving targets from 200 back to 100.
My question is has anyone tried to see individual bullet holes at this distance through their scope. I do not have a spotting scope.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: ladder test-visibility question

Post by skipper »

I don't have any practical experience with that particular scope, but I believe you should be able to see the shot holes at 200 yards. My 12-24X56 NightForce will resolve them at that distance. The rest will have to be steady and hopefully not a lot of mirage to deal with.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
TEXAS222
.204 Ruger Guns: custom build AR 15-Rem 700 .204 VARMINT- .204 Kimber Pro Var

Post by TEXAS222 »

I can see the holes a two hundred with my 63 year old eyes and a 6x24x50 Sightron if I shoot above my point of aim into white paper. On another note, have you ever read about Dan Newberry's OCW load development system. I use this shooting round robin style & it's great for finding a node.
Jim D
toasty
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 16

Post by toasty »

TEJAS JD wrote:I can see the holes a two hundred with my 63 year old eyes and a 6x24x50 Sightron if I shoot above my point of aim into white paper. On another note, have you ever read about Dan Newberry's OCW load development system. I use this shooting round robin style & it's great for finding a node.
Jim D
+1

OCW method has proven to be much better for finding a good load than other methods IMO.
ilikespeed
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar

Post by ilikespeed »

Thanks for the replies. I am familiar with OCW load development but this trip I was trying to see what the velocity and pressure ranges were for 2 powders with the same bullet weight. I am not after top velocity but I have tried 'recommended' powders in a couple of my other varmint type calibers and been very disappointed with pressure signs appearing long before I reached anywhere near the velocity I was expecting. Switching powders seemed to always correct the problem. I do understand changing primers, case volume differences, bullet length, etc as all variables that change the results, including pressure.
Will probably try an OCW test next trip.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

You should easily see the holes thru Shoot-N-C targets.
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen