Sighting in

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Grizz550
.204 Ruger Guns: H&R

Sighting in

Post by Grizz550 »

When sighting in my 204 with hornady vmax 40gr wood 32gr vmax be off quite a bit or not really or wood I have to re sight for the 32gr?
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Sighting in

Post by Bill K »

It will probably be off some. You just have to fire a 3-5 round group and see how much. Then adjust or compensate for what difference the is. Bill K
Grizz550

Post by Grizz550 »

Tks Bill
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

Bill is spot on. Normally if you sight in with a 39 or 40gr bullet, and then shoot the 32's, your poi will be higher than with the 40's. My suggestion would be to pick the most accurate load for your rifle, then sight in with that load. If you want to shoot a different bullet go ahead and shoot a target, and you should see the difference in poi. For instance, I am sighted in @ 100yds with the 32's. But I shoot a lot of 39's out in the field, so I make the adjustments for poi, by my hold points. In other words, I know the 39's poi is just a little bit lower than with the 32's so I hold just a tad higher with the 39's. The exception, depends on the ranges you are shooting. In my experience with shooting unknown numbers of rounds with both bullets, at different ranges, it is my experience, that around 300 to 325 yards, the poi is so close my hold points are identical. But out past that distance the 32's will drop off considerable more, So for longer distances, my preference is the 39's, because they are more accurate at the longer distance, and they will buck the wind better. Simple ballistics. :wink:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Grizz550

Post by Grizz550 »

Tks
GunnScott
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by GunnScott »

futuretrades wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:20 am Bill is spot on. Normally if you sight in with a 39 or 40gr bullet, and then shoot the 32's, your poi will be higher than with the 40's. My suggestion would be to pick the most accurate load for your rifle, then sight in with that load. If you want to shoot a different bullet go ahead and shoot a target, and you should see the difference in poi. For instance, I am sighted in @ 100yds with the 32's. But I shoot a lot of 39's out in the field, so I make the adjustments for poi, by my hold points. In other words, I know the 39's poi is just a little bit lower than with the 32's so I hold just a tad higher with the 39's. The exception, depends on the ranges you are shooting. In my experience with shooting unknown numbers of rounds with both bullets, at different ranges, it is my experience, that around 300 to 325 yards, the poi is so close my hold points are identical. But out past that distance the 32's will drop off considerable more, So for longer distances, my preference is the 39's, because they are more accurate at the longer distance, and they will buck the wind better. Simple ballistics. :wink:
Hmm, I didn't know this. Thanks for letting us know. This was very informative. :)