Is there something wrong?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
jpx2rk
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12FV, R783/20P combo

Is there something wrong?

Post by jpx2rk »

Finally got to the range with my new Savage FV 12 204 Ruger, and took one box of Fiocchi 32gr Vmax and one box of Fiocchi 40gr Vmax as that's all I've got for it. Started out with the 40 gr ammo, and since it was a new gun and all I was inspecting the cases after each round was fired. The very 1st round was normal in appearance, but after that 1st round, all the other rounds had a raised primer to where I could catch it with my fingernail. On some cases it's really noticeable, others, not so much but still raised. Again, these are factory rounds, NOT reloads. No mods to the firearm, I just cleaned it before going to the range. No split necks, dents, etc., in any of the fired cases.

Is this brand of ammo normally loaded a bit hot, or what could it be. I fired all the rounds shown in the pictures, the bolt was not any harder to open or close during the firing of these rounds than normal for a new factory rifle. Bolt was a bit rough, but it is a new gun. These rounds were the first ones down the barrel by me and I bought the gun new from Cabelas.

I also shot the 32 grain Fiocchi ammo next, and found that it like it the best based on groups, but there were no raised primers or other issues noted. The bolt continued to be a bit rough cycling but nothing out of the ordinary IMO.

The round in the center of these 3 is an unfired round of 40gr, while the two outside cases are examples of raised primers.

Here is a shot of the rounds fired

Master Piddler ;)
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Is there something wrong?

Post by Bill K »

I would contact a gunsmith and have them check the headspace, with a good set of go/no go gauges. Then go from there. Bill K
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I have to agree with Bill, but I sometimes see the same thing in my Howa, in 204. But my Howa has never seen a factory load, only my reloads. If it's really warm where you are, keep your ammo, at least in the shade. If it is sitting in the "hot" sun, that could cause over pressure. Been there and done that. :eek:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
jpx2rk

Post by jpx2rk »

It was warm/hot when I was shooting (low 90's) but the firing line is covered where I go and I try to keep the ammo covered in some form or fashion with a towel or hiding behind the bag rest, etc. as the sun does shine on the bench tops as the day goes along.

Will look into finding a reputable gunsmith, thanks for the replies.
Master Piddler ;)
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Once you get the headspace checked out and fixed, if necessary, I would suggest that you think seriously about having your bolt bushed.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
jpx2rk

Post by jpx2rk »

Thanks for the suggestion but what does bushing the bolt accomplish???
Master Piddler ;)
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

A couple of your fired primers looked like they could be flowing into the firing pin hole just a bit. Bushing the bolt would tighten up that firing pin hole. Some gunsmiths who bush bolts do a little work on your firing pin as well to make the fit between the firing pin diameter and the firing pin hole a bit closer to help prevent the primer material from flowing into your firing pin hole.

Then again, maybe the primers in those Fiocchi shells aren't as hard as BR-4, Rem 7½, or CCI 450s???
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
jpx2rk

Post by jpx2rk »

Here are the 32gr Fiochhi factory loads (not reloads) cases, I only fired 10 rounds of the 32 gr and you can see there are a couple raised primers but not anywhere near the 40 gr cases. The case laying along the top is an unfired round.

Any thoughts or suggestions on why the 40 gr did what they did vs the 32gr cases??
Master Piddler ;)
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Probably the 40 grain are giving a slight amount more pressure, would be my quess. Bill K
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

If you can find a box of Remington, or some other name brandammo, I would try that before you get carried away on a bunch of gun smithing, and headaches, worrying about problems that may not be the gun itself.
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
jpx2rk

Post by jpx2rk »

Just an update as the search continues.

I ordered some GO/NO GO gauges from Brownells, and they came, so I checked the HS using the gauges by Manson. The go gauge closed w/o issue, while the bolt would not close on the NO GO gauge. Have some more ammo ordered (different brands) but not arrived yet for some reason, unless the wifey is hiding from me LOL
Master Piddler ;)
Sigfla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ custom

Post by Sigfla »

I think it's a Savage issue. Bushing the bolt will fix it. I have the same gun and read on another forum about the issues. Mine doesn't do it but the guy whose gun did was worried about pressure with his reloads. Another guy gave a lengthy explanation about the Savage bolt design and machining process but it came down to small firing pins and big bolt holes. The suggestion was a PT&G bolt face would fix it. You have the gauges now to reset your head space so the new bolt face is the easiest fix. I am no gunsmith however and I am just trying to remember an old forum post so do your own research
jpx2rk

Post by jpx2rk »

Sigfla wrote:I think it's a Savage issue. Bushing the bolt will fix it. I have the same gun and read on another forum about the issues. Mine doesn't do it but the guy whose gun did was worried about pressure with his reloads. Another guy gave a lengthy explanation about the Savage bolt design and machining process but it came down to small firing pins and big bolt holes. The suggestion was a PT&G bolt face would fix it. You have the gauges now to reset your head space so the new bolt face is the easiest fix. I am no gunsmith however and I am just trying to remember an old forum post so do your own research
Thanks for the info, have you got a link for the other forum you mentioned??
Master Piddler ;)
Sigfla
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ custom

Post by Sigfla »

It was on accurate shooter. I don't have the exact thread but the search function ought to bring it up.
Roverhound
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Mk II VT

Post by Roverhound »

I'll be the first to say it's the ammunition.
I shot Fiocchi out of my .204 Howa and almost all of the primers were pierced. It was bad enough to foul the firing pin so I would have to disassemble the bolt to clean it out. I believe they are using soft primers. The brass seems ok but I haven't reloaded any to see if the primer pockets are maybe oversize.
This problem never occurred with Hornady ammunition in 32 or 40 grain.
I've since sold the Howa and went to a Ruger 77 VT but I have given up on Fiocchi rifle ammunition. I shot some of their 300 aac ammunition out of my AR and was less than impressed with the results.