Which trigger

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
triggerfingers
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper MTV 204 Ruger, Savage 12 LRPV 20 VT, Cooper MTV 6x45

Which trigger

Post by triggerfingers »

I have a Remington model 700 SPS that I have restocked in 204. Looking for a replacement trigger for it and curious which brands you guys think is the best. Would you recommend Timney, Jewell HVR, Jard or other? The one issue that I'm going to have is my wife also shoots this rifle and she does not like a light trigger pull, but I prefer one. Would a Jard set trigger be a good option? This will be primarily a bench rifle and maybe some light hunting.
Thanks
pre64win
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Re: Which trigger

Post by pre64win »

Take a look at Trigger Tech triggers. I am hearing lots of good reports on them. New technology with clean breaks and almost no over travel.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

I have Rifle Basix,
Jard and a couple of Timney's in a variety of my rifles. But I am the only one shooting these rifles, and I have each one set to break at between 12ozs. and 15 ozs. All are consistent at their break point. I can recommend each of them. But like I stated, I am the only one shooting them. It is just my opinion here, I would think if you and your wife have different preferences as to trigger break, one of you will just have to learn to shoot with uncomfortable trigger break, or just buy your own rifle and end the dilema! :eek:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

traders (Kevin) is right. There can only be a compromise here, as you can't have both worlds in regard to field weight pull, bench pull, or plinking pull.

Make up your mind and get the one you can afford, probably one in a pull weight range of 16 oz., as any less, and the lady will not like it, and if it's a quality trigger system, the break will be as clean as breaking glass and you won't really fret over it.

I've got every brand you mention in my rifles, and will opine that Jewell is by far the recognized crème of the crop. For the money, I feel Jard is a very good replacement, as I've got them in all my Cooper varmint rifles, all 10 oz. units that only get shot on the bench or bipod/sticks in the field. All my M700's have 10 oz. Jewells; 'nuff said. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails