2017 204 Ruger Five Shot Challenge

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.
JaxTeller
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Re: 2017 204 Ruger Five Shot Challenge

Post by JaxTeller »

Skipper: Target received in the mail. 2.5" is the measurement. Thanks for putting this together.

I have a question: how is it being scored? does the distance from the center make any difference? Or are you measuring the group size only? I know some folks like to measure the group and then add the distance from the center to give a final score.

Thanks,
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Group size is the deciding factor. Distance from the center of the bulls eye is the tie breaker.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
SerenityNetworks
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by SerenityNetworks »

How are folks doing? I was just glad to be able to get out and shoot. I haven't been shooting for about 6 months and this weekend would be my last chance until September. It poured Saturday, but Sunday I was able to get out with our boy Matt who is down visiting from Iowa with his wife Julie. I don't know whether to be disappointed or pleased with my target. I've shot better prone off my elbow. On the other hand, it was my first time out in awhile. It was absurdly humid, making my cheek weld more like a slip 'n' slide. And the mirage was crazy. I've never seen mirage like that at 100 yards. It was more than I'm used to seeing at 500 yards on a scorcher Texas day. I don't know if it impacted my shots or not. I just found it really odd to see mirage that strong at just 100 yards. So in the end, I guess I'll call the result "okay"; at least for myself and my abilities. The limiting factor is me, not the rifle or the ammo. And all things considered, I had a great time getting out shooting and even more fun since Matt could join me.

Skipper, thanks for the challenge. Let's do more.
Andrew (Drew) Lindsay

PS. I'd love to see how others are doing. I expect to see some that just make me go, "Wow!"
Target.jpg
Target.jpg (62.95 KiB) Viewed 3161 times
Blacknsilver
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 semi custom

Post by Blacknsilver »

Mine arrived in the post so it's off to the range on Wednesday night. Just hope my home loads are as good as the last lot. If so all should hit the target!
Fordevr
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Varmint Heavy Barrel SS

Post by Fordevr »

Anxiously waiting for my target in the mail. 🤜🤛
Not here yet. Takes awhile for the sled dogs to get the mail to Alberta.😁
JaxTeller
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by JaxTeller »

SerenityNetworks wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:46 am How are folks doing? I was just glad to be able to get out and shoot. I haven't been shooting for about 6 months and this weekend would be my last chance until September. It poured Saturday, but Sunday I was able to get out with our boy Matt who is down visiting from Iowa with his wife Julie. I don't know whether to be disappointed or pleased with my target. I've shot better prone off my elbow. On the other hand, it was my first time out in awhile. It was absurdly humid, making my cheek weld more like a slip 'n' slide. And the mirage was crazy. I've never seen mirage like that at 100 yards. It was more than I'm used to seeing at 500 yards on a scorcher Texas day. I don't know if it impacted my shots or not. I just found it really odd to see mirage that strong at just 100 yards. So in the end, I guess I'll call the result "okay"; at least for myself and my abilities. The limiting factor is me, not the rifle or the ammo. And all things considered, I had a great time getting out shooting and even more fun since Matt could join me.

Skipper, thanks for the challenge. Let's do more.
Andrew (Drew) Lindsay

PS. I'd love to see how others are doing. I expect to see some that just make me go, "Wow!"

Target.jpg
Good shooting, man.

I messed up my target. I got 4 in a decent group. Totally messed up the last one. Likely, I won't be submitting. I think it was a 0.4" MOA group.
Blacknsilver
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 semi custom

Post by Blacknsilver »

I think that if you have had a target, regardless of how good you did it needs to be posted back.
skipper

Post by skipper »

This postal shoot has really surpassed all previous challenges. We currently have 78 members competing and there's no telling what the count will be by September 1st.

I'm serving Jury Duty this week and am somewhat limited as to the times I can make it to the post office. If you have just registered, please be patient and I will get your targets mailed out very soon.

SerenityNetworks & Silverfox - I would mail those targets back if I were you. They might very well place. You never know???
SerenityNetworks

I got mine in the mail today.

JaxTeller, I'd suggest you submit anyway. What the heck. Look what I did on my 50/500 25 yard offhand iron sights challenge at RimfireCentral. I totally pooched one of the 5 targets and scored a 68. The holes were all over the place. I even missed the 5 ring with one shot and scored a zero. I haven't done that in a very long time. Then a few minutes later I was plinking at a Rifleman target at 25 yards with my .223 and shot a sweet little 10 shot group (offhand with a sling and a cheap little Bushnell 3 MOA red dot). Go figure.
Attachments
Combo.jpg
Combo.jpg (37.67 KiB) Viewed 3076 times
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Went out yesterday and fired my official target. It will be in post to Skipper today. Took a couple photo's before and after. However they are on the blurry side. I measured 0.438 center to center on the widest, not sure if I am measuring correctly. But skipper will do it proper and official. Will see were I stand. Win some, lose to some. All in fun. Bill K
Attachments
000_0004.JPG
000_0004.JPG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 3056 times
20170816_063204_resized.jpg
20170816_063204_resized.jpg (134.83 KiB) Viewed 3059 times
000_0010.JPG
000_0010.JPG (930.28 KiB) Viewed 3059 times
skipper

Post by skipper »

I use the On Target group measuring application. It's free for the basic application without all the premium features. I found it through the 6mm benchrest website. Now days the website is called accurateshooter.com.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

My problem, due to age and being illiterate on these PC's. I have too much trouble with those score apps. So I just measure with my calibers and like in this case, will let the mod/person running the contest measure and I will go with what they post. All in fun anyway. Bill K
SerenityNetworks

Awesome Bill. I hope to shoot like that when I grow up. :-)
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

You probably shoot better than that already.. Old age does not allow you to hold as steady as when, we/I were younger. Bill K
Especially with only a scope set on 12x.
SerenityNetworks

Hmmm. I don't know Bill. I've shot better than what I posted for this match, but I don't think I've ever shot a hundred yard group as good as the one you posted. That was sweet. I shot an 11/16th 10 shot group once (and only once) and that's the best I recall ever doing. I'm hoping when I retire that I can get in more time shooting and improve before advancing age starts to whittle away at my ability.