Monthly Shootout: Any interest?

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.

Would you participate in a friendly monthly shootout?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:05 pm

Yes
95%
No
5%
Need More Details
No votes

Total votes: 19

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Monthly Shootout: Any interest?

Post by skipper »

For a while posting pictures was frustrating, but Tarrin fixed that problem with attachments. So, then I was going to announce that the top three shooters would get a custom Winners Icon for their signature line. We have done that in the past. Now, I'm of the mind to hold off it we are going to do this every month. Too many winners, too many Winners Icons.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Personally, I would like it to stay with just a fun shoot, with no prize, etc. That would get to complicated and really a lot of work, for yourself and/or others. Keep it fun, simple and a way for us to try and better ourselves and obtain the results others get, when they obtain smaller groups. Bill K
bluestar48
.204 Ruger Guns: savage shark 12- 204

Post by bluestar48 »

IM in BLUESTAR :D 48
RESERVE CHAMPIONRESERVE CHAMPION
bluestar48 (.293 in)

bluestar48 (.293 in)
Fordevr
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Varmint Heavy Barrel SS

Post by Fordevr »

My 2 cents.

Use the target you have or want to use or want to print.
Have fun.
Maybe a tape measure in the pic with your target.
Have fun!
bgaston

Post by bgaston »

Im not very active on this website but do check in every now and again. That being said I think this sounds like a lot of fun. And since I finally have a decent load for my 204 IM IN!

Little intro:
Wyoming
204 AR-15
Shilen barrel 20" 1:10 twist gunsmithed by Dan Carey
RRA lower, stock trigger with a magpul grip and stock.
Burris 6.5-20x-50mm
JaxTeller
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Post by JaxTeller »

Bill K wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:02 am The only problem with that is, some like me, do not have a printer. I would gladly aid in postage and go with the mail, if that is what it would take. Or just use my own target, as mentioned, and post a photo and/or results. It is on the honor system and hopefully all would be honest. Bill K
You can go to your local sporting goods store or Walmart and buy a target. There is no mailing or printing. Just make sure you pick a target with a well defined center.
JaxTeller

Post by JaxTeller »

skipper wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:30 am For a while posting pictures was frustrating, but Tarrin fixed that problem with attachments. So, then I was going to announce that the top three shooters would get a custom Winners Icon for their signature line. We have done that in the past. Now, I'm of the mind to hold off it we are going to do this every month. Too many winners, too many Winners Icons.
This is just a "friendly" shootout. THere are no prizes. no nothing. We tally up the scores and post them here. You can show off to your friends and family. Maybe a nice, warm pat on the back. That is about it. No icons. No medals. no nothing.
SerenityNetworks
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by SerenityNetworks »

I haven't read all the posts, but the few I saw had some nice input. For my part, here are a few thoughts:
  • 100 yards only.
  • Perhaps use some standard NRA target. That would allow people with printers to print it and people without printers to just order some already printed. (Another online contest in which I participate does this successfully.)
  • If there is interest, I wouldn't mind seeing a contest that's something of a hunting nature. Perhaps allow prone (with bipod perhaps or limit to elbow only) &/or shooting sticks, or leaning against a tree, etc.
Blacknsilver
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 semi custom

Post by Blacknsilver »

If it's just the 'tightest group' wins then the target style or picture shouldn't matter. If you can take a photograph with a ruler or calipers to show the size of group then job done?
A black dot drawn on a blank paper then adjust your turret 2-3 clicks so you don't lose your point of aim then take 5 shots at 100 yards should do it?
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Most of the time I just take a red target dot ( one inch model) and stick it on a sheet of paper. Makes for a tight hold and you can see your hits, most of the time from 100 yrds, with a 12x scope. If you check around those stick on dots sell for 10.00 bucks or so, for hundreds of them. Reasonable and keep you cost for targets down. Bill K

This is a sample of the dot, I mention, as you see there is a black spot in center for center dot.
000_0003.JPG
000_0003.JPG (702.77 KiB) Viewed 7004 times
Last edited by Bill K on Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SerenityNetworks

"If it's just the 'tightest group' wins then the target style or picture shouldn't matter."
"Most of the time I just take a red target dot ( one inch model) and stick it on a sheet of paper."
Doh! Of course, the particular target wouldn't matter. Only some sort of mark for the center is needed.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

One detail to consider is to always scan the targets using the same scanner so that each has the same dimensions as the next. Two different scanners could yield two different dimensions/proportions/aspects. Then import them into On Target for measuring. Just saying.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
SerenityNetworks

One detail to consider is to always scan the targets using the same scanner so that each has the same dimensions as the next. Two different scanners could yield two different dimensions/proportions/aspects. Then import them into On Target for measuring. Just saying.
I haven't used OnTarget for a few years now, but if I recall correctly there was a feature that let you enter the dimensions and then it scaled the imported picture correctly. I found then that I didn't need to go to the trouble of using a scanner. I just took pictures with my phone while still out in the field, later imported the picture(s), marked and gave OnTarget the diameter of the target, then it measured appropriately.
JaxTeller

Post by JaxTeller »

SerenityNetworks wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:51 am I haven't read all the posts, but the few I saw had some nice input. For my part, here are a few thoughts:
  • 100 yards only.
  • Perhaps use some standard NRA target. That would allow people with printers to print it and people without printers to just order some already printed. (Another online contest in which I participate does this successfully.)
  • If there is interest, I wouldn't mind seeing a contest that's something of a hunting nature. Perhaps allow prone (with bipod perhaps or limit to elbow only) &/or shooting sticks, or leaning against a tree, etc.
  • 100 yards and up for .204 Ruger. 25 and 50 for Centerfire. There are a few here, who have reached out via PM, that they have no access to a 100 yard range. So saying 100 yards, will exclude some. Plus this is supposed to be fun and to get people out and shooting. So let us be open to more than one distance and one caliber.

• Again, some have indicated availability of printer as an issue. As long as they have a target with a well defined center, we should be OK. And... this is supposed to be fun.
  • A hunting contest could be fun. Would get me out of the house and shoot some varmint this winter... Do share your thoughts with what you think would be fun.
JaxTeller

Post by JaxTeller »

Blacknsilver wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:31 am If it's just the 'tightest group' wins then the target style or picture shouldn't matter. If you can take a photograph with a ruler or calipers to show the size of group then job done?
A black dot drawn on a blank paper then adjust your turret 2-3 clicks so you don't lose your point of aim then take 5 shots at 100 yards should do it?
Tightest group + distance from your point of aim/bullseye.. See my target that I posted earlier. The group size added to the distance = Final Score. That is the number we go by.