Monthly Shootout: Any interest?

Participate in friendly board-wide competitions.

Would you participate in a friendly monthly shootout?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:05 pm

Yes
95%
No
5%
Need More Details
No votes

Total votes: 19

JaxTeller
.204 Ruger Guns: None

Monthly Shootout: Any interest?

Post by JaxTeller »

Disclaimer:
This thread has nothing to do with The 2017, 204 Ruger Five Shot Challenge. That thread is here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11813 Please read the rules and follow up there.

This thread is a discussion to gauge if there is interest in a fun monthly shoot-out. If you are still here.. please read-on.

I really appreciate Skipper and crew putting together the challenge together. That is a lot of work, sending out targets and taking care of stuff.

On another board I frequent, we have a monthly shootout. Totally friendly but highly competitive. :)

Some rules and observations:

There are no rules. This challenge runs on the honor system. So a September shootout would ask that you shoot your target during that month. Any target. No throwaways. 7 holes is 7 holes. Since this board is dedicated to the 204, that's all we'll do. 204. Maybe divvy it up by class at a later point. Use your own target. No mailing or waiting for target. Measure your own groups and post results. Tech Savvy folks can use Ontarget to score your targets and post the results - http://www.ontargetshooting.com/download1.html

Good match up would be 5 shots at 25 and 50. And then 3 shots at 100 or beyond. Again just suggestions. If you wanna show off 5 shots at 100 yards - go for it.

Measurements would be total group and then distance from point of aim/bullseye. I'll post an example in this thread shortly.

Special challenges welcome.

If there is interest, we can start the shootout in September. Personally, I have gotten to be a better shot over the years thanks to challenges like this.

Are you guys interested?
Last edited by JaxTeller on Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
JaxTeller

Re: Monthly Shootout: Any interest?

Post by JaxTeller »

Here is what a target looks like.

204 ruger. 5 shots at 50 yards.

Thompson/Center Venture .204 Ruger, 22"
Front and rear bags
4 shots
50 yards
Vortex 3-9 X 40 Crossfire II Scope
32gr Hornady V-mAx and Fiocchi Ammo
Far shot: .370
Group: .293
Total: 0.663"
August 50 Y.jpg
August 50 Y.jpg (87.69 KiB) Viewed 6439 times
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Sounds like it would be fun. I would be willing. Bill K
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Bill K wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:45 am Sounds like it would be fun. I would be willing. Bill K
Think what I would/will do is five shots at fifty and then five at 100 yards. :)
Blacknsilver
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 semi custom

Post by Blacknsilver »

I'm up for the challenge. Happy at any range. 3 shots it's all mine will carry so having to break weld are re load can sometimes ruin the group.
Happy to go with the flow.
Mark
Big ears
.204 Ruger Guns: Cz 527

Post by Big ears »

Count me in
Flyeralan
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV

Post by Flyeralan »

I'm certainly in, am used to shooting 5 shot groups and have never even tried under 100 yards. Willing to change that, but I don't have access to a range any longer than 200. Looking forward to it.
JaxTeller

Post by JaxTeller »

Great! Awesome to see all these responses coming in.

There was one big concern, and I would like to address that. Some members are hesitant about this - as they assume that we want names and addresses of people participating in this monthly/shootout. Absolutely not the case.The other thread - started and run by skipper - is the OFFICIAL challenge. The Skipper challenge requires your name and/or mailing address, to get the target mailed out to you.

For this monthly challenge there is nothing of the sort required. You pick your own target, one with a well defined center. Shoot at your convenience - during the time frame - and post the pictures and/or results. It would just be another post on the board, and you would remain anonymous as ever. Only photos of your target. However, it would be nice to see some pics of your rig, and see what you poked those holes with. :) Also, having a monthly shootout where targets are mailed out is going to get expensive in a hurry.

Hope that clears up the confusion with that.

Maybe we will hammer out some "rules" for the shootout before long. But that contradicts what I said earlier about no rules. Oh well. :hic: :eew: :chin:
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Only question I have is, if I want to not only report the group size, but also post a photo of the target and rifle/set up, can I send someone ( say JaxTeller) such via email and it be posted. Reason I ask is I am PC illiterate and unable to post photos. Bill K

Maybe I will not have to do this. I believe I have figured out and can post a photo, as I did in the test one, earlier this last week.

Seems like a dummy like me, can maybe do it. :eek:
Attachments
000_0009.JPG
000_0009.JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 6349 times
JaxTeller

Post by JaxTeller »

Bill K wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:31 pm Only question I have is, if I want to not only report the group size, but also post a photo of the target and rifle/set up, can I send someone ( say JaxTeller) such via email and it be posted. Reason I ask is I am PC illiterate and unable to post photos. Bill K

Maybe I will not have to do this. I believe I have figured out and can post a photo, as I did in the test one, earlier this last week.

Seems like a dummy like me, can maybe do it. :eek:
Can post for you. But looks like you got it.

If needed can score... but no promises. lol.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Thank you sir: Bill K
Fordevr
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Varmint Heavy Barrel SS

Post by Fordevr »

Gonna go right now and try 5 shots just for kicks with some 24 ntx hornady. I always shoot 100 or 200 so I'll try em at 50 for kicks. Plus less walking.😁
Fordevr
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Varmint Heavy Barrel SS

Post by Fordevr »

Not to bad. The Hornady 24 gr. NTX were shot through the iscope and the Hornady 45 gr SP were not using the iscope. An iscope is a device that allows me to use my iPhone to video through my scope. Cool but a little cumbersome to use. I used my canon to video the 45 gr. sp and it's much clearer.
Attachments
IMG_0412.JPG
IMG_0412.JPG (1.53 MiB) Viewed 6324 times
IMG_0411.JPG
IMG_0411.JPG (1.53 MiB) Viewed 6324 times
HoundofSC
.204 Ruger Guns: Stevens based custom

Post by HoundofSC »

50 yards is more like rimfire range but if that is what is decided then so be it. I myself like 5 shot groups at 100 at a minimum. I realize some do not have access to shoot 200 - 300 yards

On the target why not just decide on a downloadable target and everyone down load and shoot the same target . There are tons out there in pdf form. Here is a example of a 100 yard benchrest target

http://accurateshooter.net/targets/TargetB.pdf

and a page full of alternatives

http://www.6mmbr.com/targets.html
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

The only problem with that is, some like me, do not have a printer. I would gladly aid in postage and go with the mail, if that is what it would take. Or just use my own target, as mentioned, and post a photo and/or results. It is on the honor system and hopefully all would be honest. Bill K