Minimal Meat damage - bullet choice.

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Beardog
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3X varmint

Minimal Meat damage - bullet choice.

Post by Beardog »

Hi Guys.

Took the Ruger out on the hares tonight for the 1st time using 40g vmax. As I thought it would, it caused too much damage. Tried different shot placement and distances but not really suitable on the whole, kills them well though.

My questions is what other bullets could I try? I want the flat shooting distance just not the damage. Would 32g bullet be better or the 35g Berger varmint.

Cheers.
MZ5
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator

Re: Minimal Meat damage - bullet choice.

Post by MZ5 »

From http://www.6mmbr.com/20caliber.html:

"Schroeder Bullets: Steve Schroeder makes 5MM Remington Rimfire bullets that will work in 20-Caliber centerfire cartridges. In 40gr Steve offers Round Nose Semi-Point (RNSP), FMJ, SP, and HP designs. In 45gr, Steve makes SP and FMJ bullets. Contact: (619) 423-3523. No web site."

No idea whether the info is still current, but you could call this fellow. Note the listed FMJ bullets. Those should offer minimal damage. Never used them, so can't say anything about them. Just sharing for your reference and investigation.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

While your at it, try the 35gr. Berger bullets. Some members here report minimal damage using them.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Beardog

Post by Beardog »

Yeah think I will. They aren’t such a varmint bullet design I think I’m right in saying, unlike the vmax ones designed for max fragmentation. I’d be very interested to see what a Berger bullet does. I also came across some 25g bullets? Anyone tired those. Normally use .17HMR on hares with no damage but it’s such an inaccurate round, well to me anyway, got fed up with it. Thought I’d try the 204. 1st shot was a head shot, no head left. Then tried a neck shot, no neck left. Tried a heart/lung shot, looked like a crime scene lol. Back to the drawing board.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Beardog wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:20 amThought I’d try the 204. 1st shot was a head shot, no head left. Then tried a neck shot, no neck left. Tried a heart/lung shot, looked like a crime scene lol. Back to the drawing board.
Bear: Just an observation from afar, but when you hit a soft-skinned 5 lb. critter with any projectile travelling at almost 4,000 fps, there's gonna be some damage! With the 204, unless you download it with something like Trail Boss to under 22 WMR velocities, this will happen every time.

Maybe for what you intend to do, the 204 is not really suited to the task. Most of us use it for maximum rodent destruction, or with the 35gr Berger for long range coyote control without blowing the pelts to crap. But any bunny hit with it from about any range is toast, period.

Case in point....a healthy high desert jackrabbit hit at 225 yards with a 32gr Nosler BT.........from a 20 Vartarg! :eek:

Imagine what that unlucky bunny would look like if hit with a 204 at the same range....... :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Beardog

Post by Beardog »

Hi

Many thanks for the reply. Yes I wasn’t surprised by the results, But I don’t think I will waste my time trying other ammo. Used the 17HMR last night, no problems, just a bit boring lol

Cheers