Hello! New to .204!

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Gamikatsu
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527 Varming Kevlar/HS

Hello! New to .204!

Post by Gamikatsu »

Hello!
My name is Edward, Just today I purchased a CZ-527 Varmint Kevlar/HS in .204! gun was just short of pristine, with two little marks on the top of the barrel. The bore looks unfired, and the guy claimed he only ever shot a few boxes through it, sighted it in, and it was so accurate that he never really shot it. I didn't personally know the guy, but he, and this rifle, came very very highly recommended from a friend. My first CZ, and my first venture into the .204 world. I mounted an inexpensive BSA sweet 17 6-18 on it, just for now to get out and see how it shoots. the scope is cheap, and not amazing quality, but it holds zero on my .30-06, so the .204 shoulnd't be a problem. Now...

From what i learned quickly online, I have a 1 in 12" twist, which seem to be better with the 30-35 grain pills. I got 3 boxes of hornady 32gn vmax, and 2 boxes of Remington 32 grain Accutip (someone correct me but i think this ammo is loaded by hornady, and the bullet is a hornady VMAX with a gold tip, just like their .17 HMR stuff) i'm going in the morning tomorrow weather permitting to get it on paper and see what she does. I assume the guy did some kind of barrel break in, but i didn't specifically inquire about this. I am already planning on buying a set of Forster Benchrest dies, and a few different bullets to test, once i get this brass empty. I will GLADLY with open arms ears, and eyes, take any help with load data. I read somewhere i should use a specific primer, so i'll have to look that information up. My local gun store has a big supply of CFE223 and 8208 XBR powder, so i'll use one of those for starters.

Thanks!
Edward
204Nut
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FCV

Re: Hello! New to .204!

Post by 204Nut »

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will find the 204 a very enjoyable cartridge. My 204 is a 1 in 12 also and it loves the 39 gr blitzkings. It shot decent groups with the 32 gr superformance factory ammo but it really likes my handloads. I'm using 26.2 gr of H4895 and CCI 400 primers.

And as always, don't start with charges that other people use, back off 10% and work your way up.
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

thank you!

Now I am a speed freak.... the thought of going over 4000 fps gets me all giddy inside... i push my .30-06 150 grains past 3000 fps and i get all warm and fuzzy... (currently have Just under 3100 fps with a 150 grain Nosler BT using max load of superformance powder... hehehehehehehehe)

I plan on using whichever bullet shoots good! probably going to start with the 32 grain VMAX as i got 5 boxes of them. Then use the brass and start loading some 39 BK's, as those seem to be the all around go to.

I am leaning hard on that XBR powder, as its part of IMR's new stuff (the enduron line, but i don't think this is an enduron powder). the 4451 gives me GREAT accuracy in the 06, so maybe the 4461 or something will work for the .204! I love the feel of this rifle! now to get decent glass!!!
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

Well, it's a shooter! I topped it with a Nikon 4-12 buckmaster and zerod it at 100. This thing is beyond more accurate Than me. I shot 3 touching at 100, it's amazing. The set trigger takes some serious getting used too. I keep pulling shots because it's so light. But boy is it crisp!
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

I lucked into one of those .204 Kevlar Varmints, in the same condition, a couple years back. I'd lolly-gagged too long on an ultra-rare maple stock .204 Varmint because seller feedback sounded sketchy; by the time I decided to take a chance it was sold. Didn't clear web history on my phone before charging that night, and lo and behold there was a Kevlar staring me in the face the next morning. And, it was at the local Cabela's! Still trussed up like a butchered hog and fuzzy from surgery, I recruited my wife to drive me and we pulled up just as the doors opened for the day. For once I didn't mind waiting for her to shop at the mall next door, as I was busy ordering rings and extra mags, and drooling over my new-found treasure. And - despite my medical condition - thanking my lucky stars.
This C-Z shoots as well as my .204 Remington LVSF and Cooper, btw.
Fordevr
.204 Ruger Guns: Tikka T3 Varmint Heavy Barrel SS

Post by Fordevr »

Gamikatsu wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:28 am Well, it's a shooter! I topped it with a Nikon 4-12 buckmaster and zerod it at 100. This thing is beyond more accurate Than me. I shot 3 touching at 100, it's amazing. The set trigger takes some serious getting used too. I keep pulling shots because it's so light. But boy is it crisp!
I think you are really going to enjoy that rifle and the caliber. 204nut is modest but he just won our friendly best 5 shot group and set a new record. Welcome and enjoy.😊🤜🤛
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

well i had my local shop order me a set of dies (hornady standard i think) and a box of the 39 grain sierra BK's. Everyone seems to say use that bullet. I have just about all powders available to me, but i'm leaning hard towards the CFE223 just for the copper fouling properties. I can get the XBR8202 and a myriad of others, (just no H4350 for my 30.06... dangit!!!) I can also try varget or the new 4166 Enduron. Curently scrounging through my hogdon, Nosler, and Hornady load manuals trying to see what i can come up with.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

CFE 223 works very well in my 204 R. I have just about settled on using it 100 %. The Hodgdon Data site has numerous loads for the 204 R and also other powder data. Bill K