Looking for a smith who can cut me a new chamber

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
HoundofSC
.204 Ruger Guns: Stevens based custom

Looking for a smith who can cut me a new chamber

Post by HoundofSC »

After 2500 + rounds I need to have my Criterion barrel set back and I am looking for a reliable shop that can give me a quote on rechambering in .204 and cutting new shank threads. It's a Savage so I will remove the barrel from the action and reinstall it. A new Kreiger or Criterion barrel runs around 350 or so so if I can get another 1500 or so out of this one for a reasonable price it would be great. I live in South Carolina but if I have to ship it then so be it. Any suggestions welcome and all will be considered.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Looking for a smith who can cut me a new chamber

Post by Bill K »

Try Bob Green, in York, PA. (google him up) HE does fine work and is closer to you for shipping, etc. Unless you have some gunsmiths in your local area. Bill K
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Do you already have a chamber reamer? If not Pacific Tool and Gauge can make you a custom reamer allowing you to reach the lands with ease. I was also going to suggest S and S Precision Rifles in Texas. They built my custom .204 and did a great job. Stick has the knowhow to build a benchrest grade rifle. He used to be partners with Speedy Gonzales, the benchrest guru.

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com
http://sandsprecisionrifles.com
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
wirelessguy2005
.204 Ruger Guns: Custom 20 SCC, Savage LRPV 20 Nitro , Howa 1500 204 Ruger

Post by wirelessguy2005 »

As Bill mentioned Bob Green is an excellent smith and does great work. But I will mention that with the round count you have thru the barrel I would recommend purchasing a new versus a rechambered. Something else to consider is some gunsmith's won't rechamber a barrel with a high round count due to the fact that the steel becomes work hardened and is very rough on finish chamber reamers. I have experienced this first hand when rechambering a 223 Savage barrel to 223ai. The barrel had a couple thousand rounds on it and it felt like my reamer was dull when attempting to cut the new chamber.
HoundofSC
.204 Ruger Guns: Stevens based custom

Post by HoundofSC »

good advice there wirelessguy, thanks. One of the locals told me the same thing. For the price difference I have decided it would be better to just put a new barrel on.