Is all the Copper rerally out

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Re: Is all the Copper rerally out

Post by futuretrades »

My experience with WO/PO products was basically a waste of my time and money. I did an experiment a couple years ago with patch out product against my normal regimen to clean my barrels. I used the wipe out product as advertised, with absolutely NO luck! I even tried letting sit over nite and even for 48 hours with no luck, patches still came out blue. :x So I tried my normal routine with Shooters choice/Kroil mix, 30 to 60 ratio. Patch out till no color or just a hint of gray. Then I use CR10. 10 wet patches, reapply and 10 more patches, let sit for 10 minutes, then apply CR10 to a nylon brush, and scrub barrel 10 strokes, reapply CR10 to nylon brush and scrub 10 more strokes. 1 wet patch CR10 and patch til no color and dry. For my test I run a patch of alcohol down the barrel to get residue cleaned from my barrel. Then I did the patch out thru barrel, and NO color! :D
As a side note, now I use colloidal graphite after cleaning to treat barrel till next shooting session, In my opinion, this makes next cleaning a heck of a lot easier after a hot day of shooting in the Rat Patch! ;)
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Shooters Choice/Kroil mixture; I've been using 60/40 (Shooters Choice/Kroil) for years and it is my go-to concoction and is primarily what I use through out the year.

On those occasions when I really need to deep clean a rife (which is rare unless it is a habitual fouler) I a combo of Sweets, lead away patch, JB (brown/gray color) and a good bronze brush and scrub away. I clean it out and follow with a patch check with Sweets followed by another clean out (and carbon check) with Kroil. If it's being stored for the rest of the year that is followed by Break-Free and put away. If it's going to be used in the near future, I coat it with Lock-EZ and she's read to go.

WO/PO does work but it takes time. I too was ready to toss it but with advice from others I stuck it out and it did work. Needless to say it is-not my go to stuff because I don't want to waste all of that time cleaning. Two negatives about WO/PO is;

- Don't let it get on a wood stock and;
- Don't use it in conjunction with any other cleaners.

I've heard of a potion called Ed's Red but I've never tried it. The Lock-Ez does help out with the re-fouling and cleaning as well.
robert w.
.204 Ruger Guns: ruger american preditor/cz527

Post by robert w. »

wish i had some eds red.last i had i cleaned up a pistol barrel that ate lottsa wad cutters n was never cleaned .thats stuff wont huty wood finish but sure cleans a nasty bore well
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

robert w. wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:35 pm wish i had some eds red.last i had i cleaned up a pistol barrel that ate lottsa wad cutters n was never cleaned .thats stuff wont huty wood finish but sure cleans a nasty bore well
Is not the Red's cleaner, mostly ATF with another solvent mixed in ? Maybe a person could come up with something along that line. I have been trying out some of Hoppe's new Black Copper remover and it seems to be a very good copper remover also. Bill K :)
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Bill...I've just heard of the stuff many years ago and it was a homemade brew. Lots of the competitive shooters raved about it but I've only heard of it.

Jim
robert w.

Post by robert w. »

its equil parts atf,k-1 kerosene,mineral spirits and a small amount of amonia.some leave the amonia out due to fumes in the house,but it wrks,is a good penetrating oil and sure works on rusty neglected guns like you get at a gun show.used to buy it at l.g.s. but the old guy that mixed it up died so i guess im having to mix some up.but im thinking of trying marvel mystery oil.it mixed with hoppes isnt bad either
Jim White

Post by Jim White »

Interesting...I understand Kroil is a good carbon cutter, so mixed with shooters choice has been good for me. Lots of antidotes out there it seems...
robert w.

Post by robert w. »

we all got some kinda witches brew,you can google ed's red n get the recipie.i keep thinking marvel mystery oil as it dissolves carbon n other junk in engines.hears some old timers say clean cast iron n marvel mystery oil will penetrate it in 4 months.might be good to mix with kroll too
truckerwalt
.204 Ruger Guns: RUGER MK II/SAVAGE MOD. 12

Post by truckerwalt »

i have a friend who is a former sniper in vietnam. he told me if i have a problem getting all the copper to use a bore mop and soak it in hoppes #9 and let it set for 24 hours then dry patch the bore and you will get a lot of blue on the patch if that doesn't do it then rinse and repeat. the first time i tried that the dry patch looked like i had squeezed all the ink our of a ball point pen into the bore and it came out on the first dry patch. i didn't really believe him but he made a believer out of me.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Why do you think Hoppe's has been around and used for all these years ? And the new Black Hoppe's copper solvent is even better, now.
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Post by jsh »

I have been using WO since it first came out.
Before the accelerator came out I used a brush with some alcohol or mineral spirits, as long as it will flash off an residue. WO doesn’t seem to like any petroleum base cleaner in the bore.

I then apply a good amount of WO taking care to keep it out of the action. I prefer to let it set over night

It needs to set and soak, accelerator or not. I have even given it another shot a few hours later. I have left it as long as 24 hours.

From the pile of patches you show.
I would guess you are not leaving it near long enough.

Or, you have layers of carbon and gilding metal piled in the bore. WO does little for carbon. If you can get it in the bore as soon as you are done shooting and the barrel is warm or even some what hot makes a huge difference. I have toyed with the idea of a hair dryer on high.

If you have layers of carbon and gilding metal one of the aggressive cleaners may be the answer.

A large majority of bore damage is more from bad or improper cleaning habits than from shooting.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

jsh wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:36 pmA large majority of bore damage is more from bad or improper cleaning habits than from shooting.
How true that statement is!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

deltahunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varmint

Post by deltahunter »

Rick in Oregon wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:32 am
jsh wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:36 pmA large majority of bore damage is more from bad or improper cleaning habits than from shooting.
How true that statement is!

Please explain. What do people do wrong in cleaning to cause damage?
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Just to name a few:
Top of the list would be damage to the crown from the cleaning rod tip being dragged across it. Second would be damage to the lands from the cleaning rod being dragged back and forth across it. Third would be throat damage from the cleaning rod, if you're not using a bore guide. The list goes on and on.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
robert w.

Post by robert w. »

Fourth,not getting all the residue out of barrel,just cleaning till bore is shiny, you can bet grooves have something left in them that acts like a file when you shoot next time after cleaning