204 rifle recommendations

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
edelsite
.204 Ruger Guns: None yet

204 rifle recommendations

Post by edelsite »

This cal interests me, so my next rifle will be a 204. Been looking mostly at the Kimber varmint and CZ 527 varmint. Anyone have any other recommendations I should consider? Better yet, I'd love to hear from anyone who owns either of these two rifles and get some feedback, good or bad, about either.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: 204 rifle recommendations

Post by Bill K »

Either would serve yo well. Since the CZ comes in a 1/12 twist barrel I would go with it and down the road, after shooting it with the 32-39 grain bullets, which will work fine in it, you can re-barrel with a 1/11, 3 twist, which most use in the 20 calibers and make it shoot even better. Just my opinion. Have not checked so do not know what the Kimber twist is and that may work the same also.
Bill K :)
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I guess it would depend on the intended purpose of the rifle. Regardless, a look at Savage and Remington offerings would be worthwhile.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I forgot Cooper.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Well, if this helps, I have Remington, Sako, Kimber, and Cooper. If you're after pure accuracy and good looks, then a Cooper is for you. The others shoot, but out of all the varmint rifles I own, factory and full custom, no rifle in my safe shoots better than my Coopers. That's the truth. :D

Cooper MTV in 204R on the bottom.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

dirtcd
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VLS Ruger 204, Montana 204,Volquarsten 204

Post by dirtcd »

I am with Rick on this, Cooper is King !! In my arsenal of CZ, Remington, Howa,Savage ( all bench guns) however for my bang around throw in pickup or side x side I have a Howa 1500 mini action 204 with rubber molded stock that is fantastic and scope is worth more than rifle.
Darkker
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger Predator

Post by Darkker »

I vote M77 predator. LOVE that 2-stagger target trigger.
I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.
hoppy
.204 Ruger Guns: sako varmint

Post by hoppy »

Hi edelsite - I hung on till I could afford a SAKO 85 VLS - well worth the wait as this is a tack driver with 39 gn SBK handloads - also seriously consider getting a good scope to suit this cal as you can only shoot what you can see well - I saved again and put a zeiss 2-12X50 V6 with illum reticle 60 on mine as I do a lot of spotlighting - a seriously good unit for what I need
Enjoy the 204

Hoppy (downunder)
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

I have a Cooper M21, CZ Kevlar Varmint, and Remington LVSF in .204R. All are shooters, but the LV just won’t reach out there quite as far, with its shorter barrel. The CZ V is the “Mama Bear” of the three with it’s just-right barrel weight/length: heavy enough for repetitive shots and bench work, light enough to carry in the field. I’d stay away from the pencil-barreled stuff as these things are loud for caliber, and the extra bit of muzzle blast detracts some from the experience of seeing one’s hits.
Two more I wish I had would be a Remington XR-100 (stupidly discontinued, as was the LVSF); and the Tikka Varmint. That Kimber would be a dandy, too, but I’ve also read that accuracy seems to vary with that rifle brand(?)
Ohiolongarm
.204 Ruger Guns: Thompson Center Venture

Post by Ohiolongarm »

Sir,i own the Thompson Center Venture,and i couldn't be happier,being a hunter only this rifle can shoot.Topped with a Weaver Grand Slam 5X20X50,trigger set at 1.5 pounds mine handles all factory ammunition well from 24 grains to 45,i don't reload.Hope this helps.