Cooper Model 21

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
triggerfingers
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper MTV 204 Ruger, Savage 12 LRPV 20 VT, Cooper MTV 6x45

Cooper Model 21

Post by triggerfingers »

Ok.... I have a Cooper model 21 rifle in 204 Ruger MTV. I do shot it now and then, but since I started with the 20 Vartarg build, it is by far my favorite cartridge. I called Cooper Firearms and checked into getting it re-barreled in in 20 Vartarg and found out that since I’m the original owner I can do it at a fairly low price. I’m very tempted, but wanted to see what your thoughts are.
Thanks

P.S. Rick and Bill, you where both right as too I wish I had got on sooner.
20VarTarg
.204 Ruger Guns: None but love the 20 VarTarg

Re: Cooper Model 21

Post by 20VarTarg »

The 20VT is by far my favorite caliber. And if you are building one in 20VT you may think about going with a different caliber on the Cooper Model 21. However, I have a Model 38 in 20 VT and a custom build. I have no plans on selling either one. They both shoot incredible and I love those small Model 38 actions. Just curious, how much did Cooper quote you since you are original owner? I'm getting a Cooper re-barreled right now and it's gonna be $500 since I am not the original owner.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Trigger: Just a thought.....with a good shooting Cooper 20VT and also having a Cooper MTV in 204, you are basically set up for varmints from up close, to all the way out to as far as you can hit anything. Use the VT for all the stuff under 400, then break out the 204 for when more horsepower is needed, longer range or you need heavier bullets for bucking the wind.

With those two, you've got it ALL covered! :D I also have both those same rifles, and would not want to break up the 'set' so to speak. "It ain't broke"!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

jimreed1948
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by jimreed1948 »

I just had my Cooper 21 in 20 VT rebarreled by Pac-Nor for $735 which includes shipping both ways. Pac-Nor was able to give me zero free bore where Cooper wouldn't. Pac-Nor also included a chamber gauge. If I remember right, Coopers free bore is .05. The Pac-Nor barrel has the exact contour and finish as the Cooper.
triggerfingers

Post by triggerfingers »

I just had a Remington 700 re-barreled to 20 Vartarg by PAC-Nor and love it. The main reason I was thinking of getting the Cooper done was the price, less than half of PAC-Nor. I understand about the free bore, but I know of a few factory Coopers that shoot very well or so stated by their owners.
20VarTarg
.204 Ruger Guns: None but love the 20 VarTarg

Post by 20VarTarg »

Hey Trigger, My Cooper Model 38 in 20 VT is by far the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. And it's not the guy pulling the trigger. I've allowed several of my buddies to shoot it and they too claim the same thing. It's just boringly accurate!!!!
hydehunter1
.204 Ruger Guns: cooper

Post by hydehunter1 »

20VarTag, I was quoted as the original purchaser that Cooper would re-barrel mine for 125.00 plus any options I may want such as brake,fluting etc, by the way my 204 shoots down to .069 groups at 200 meters if I do my part.(measured by a bench rest scorer at a match) this gun will never be re-barreled
triggerfingers

Post by triggerfingers »

Thanks for all the help guys as always. I’m thinking another VarTarg is in my future.
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Rick in Oregon wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:43 am Trigger: Just a thought.....with a good shooting Cooper 20VT and also having a Cooper MTV in 204, you are basically set up for varmints from up close, to all the way out to as far as you can hit anything. Use the VT for all the stuff under 400, then break out the 204 for when more horsepower is needed, longer range or you need heavier bullets for bucking the wind.

With those two, you've got it ALL covered! :D I also have both those same rifles, and would not want to break up the 'set' so to speak. "It ain't broke"!
Rick saved me a lot of writing, as I agree 100 percent.
I own a .204 Cooper 21V, and have never even considered changing to a different chambering; same with my sweet little Model 38 .221 Fireball, which would be an even better VarTarg candidate. Personally, if I built a .20 VT, I’d want a repeater; even bought a Remington .221 LVSF for such a project and know it’s been done, but haven’t gotten the “stars to align” yet to begin.