204 Reamer what are your thoughts

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

204 Reamer what are your thoughts

Post by jsh »

What reamers do you guys like for 204?

Zero free bore?
Last edited by jsh on Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: 204 ReamerWhat

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I had PTG grind my 204 Match reamer with .015" freebore with a "no-turn" .230" neck. I can easily reach the lands with this setup. But no factory ammo can be shot with this chamber for obvious reasons. Don't care, never shoot factory ammo anyway.

Using this chamber setup, accuracy with my handloads runs right at .2".
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Re: 204 Reamer what are your thoughts

Post by Jim White »

Rick,

You shoot a 204 probably as much as anyone I know. Do you have any idea what the barrel life is for a 204? Naturally, it really depends on one's accuracy requirements and presuming the shooter can shoot to that level in the first place. In your case, you shoot some pretty tight groups.

Jim
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Jim White wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:08 pm Rick, Do you have any idea what the barrel life is for a 204?
That's a loaded question there, Jim (wow, big pun).

Can't give any reasonable answer, as barrel cleaning methods really come into play, time between shots/heating issues, copper buildup/removal and the powder being used. Not to mention if the owner was looking for speed or accuracy. A couple of my 204's are just over 2K rounds downrange, virtually all at ground squirrels. The squirrels still fly almost every time out to the 400 yard mark, then wind of course is a determining factor.

So right now, I'd say that a well cared for 204 barrel is good for over 2K rounds, most likely much more. Heck, my 20VT sends the package downrange at over 3,700 fps too, and that rifle has almost 3K rounds through it, and it still shoots in the .2's. Good/thorough cleaning with no excessive heat seems to be the recipe. :D

Now that there's no more Pac-Nor, I'll really have to give my next barrel purchase some real thought....dangit! :?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

I heard about the fire, dang, that's bad for all of us here. Are they going to rebuild or call it a career? I'd hate to see them go because a good outfit like that is hard to find and to me it was close enough to drive there if I had to.

You're absolutely right about cleaning regiments, many a good barrel has been ruined by cleaning. One of the best tips I got from you was using the lock ease treatment, I've found that very useful. My 221's & 20 VT clean up real easy. The 204, it has a limit of about 40-50 rounds in the rat patch and then they get their pipes cleaned.

Take care bud,
jsh
.204 Ruger Guns: Encore, savage LRPV

Post by jsh »

Well here as Paul Harvey would say is the rest of the story.

Some what disgruntled at the CZ 527. Various reasons, more personal taste as anything.
So, I move to the Howa Mini. Opinions are like elbows,everyone has a couple.
Contacted Prefered Barrels/MGM to do a prefit with a barrel nut. They make their own barrels but nothing in 17 or 20. They will do a barrel but use X Caliber blank. Dunno if they charge a premium for these or not, need to ask.

X Caliber offers several twist and groove options. I see some reports of bullets coming apart in fast twist. I prefer to be able to shoot some factory ammo, what can I say, ran across some factory ammo for .05 more than brass would cost me, hard to argue that.
On hand I have piles of Hornady,Nosler and Berger bullets, heaviest at 40 grain. Wondering if I go to a 11 twist and call it good or go faster? Standard or R groove?

I could do the barrel myself, but would like to try a nut. If I did it myself, more barrel maker options.
TIA gents
Jeff
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I won't address all your issues, but I will say that when setting up a 204 or any other .204" caliber, I strongly recommend going with the 11-twist. I chose that twist for my 204 Ruger Match with custom chamber, and it's the best shooting 20 caliber rifle I own. With the 11-twist, you can easily shoot the various 40gr bullets without worry of stabilization.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA