Sako 85 Varmint

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Dogbrain
.204 Ruger Guns: Howa Mini

Sako 85 Varmint

Post by Dogbrain »

Hi guys, decided to go all in on a new Sako Varmint stainless in 204. That is definitely swinging for the fences for me... and by a 2-3× margin the most expensive rifle I've ever purchased. I haven't actually seen it in person yet. I have about 5 days of waiting on background check in Biden's America.

A few questions:

1) I'm having a hard time understanding the scope mount dynamics and nothing is clear on their website. Does it come with integrated mounts? Do those mounts only accept the optilock style rings? I'll be putting a Sightron SIII with 50mm bell on. Any recommendations on mounts/rings? I'd love to get some on order.

2) Any pet loads that have worked well for you? I have CFE, X-Terminator, 34gr dog town, 39 gr SBK, and 32 gr SBK. I know "every rifle is different" but they are close enough that starting load development near a same rifle reccomendation has worked extremely well for me in the past.

3) Should I consider the need to glass bed? My assumption is no and I think I've seen metal contact points online (again Sako website is not good).

I'm super excited about this rifle. A new Sako 85 is definitely swinging for the fences for me...
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Sako 85 Varmint

Post by Bill K »

First, you will enjoy the Sako. As for the comment on Biden ( even tho I have no use for the man) he is not responsible for the waiting period. We have a 10 day one and it is all the law by Congress and ATF and previous admin's in years past.

My Sako's have the dove tail on the reciever for mounting a scope. Rings for such are available from several, believe mine were from Leupold.
I never bedded any of mine, they shot just fine. But wait and see how yours does and then decided if you want to bed it further/more.

As for loads, start with start loads, as shown in various loading manuals and work up, with the power and bullets you have. :D
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

You will LOVE your new Sako M85 Varmint.
I have a Sako M75V Laminated, SS, fluted, set trigger in 204. It was the very first one on the west coast back in 2006 obtained directly from Beretta, and it's accounted for literally thousands of ground squirrels and a few rock chucks in that time. I shoot both 32's and the 39 SBK using RL-10X near max and loaded as long as I could and still have enough bullet in the case for good TIR. The SBK's have proven to be the most accurate bullet in this rifle. Yours of course, could/will be different most likely.

In regarding to bedding, regardless of the bolt gun, I always at least skim-bed every new arrival, and much experience has proven it always helps, if even a little bit in the accuracy dept. It may not be necessary, but if done, it eliminates many negative variables that may pop up. Be sure to check the forearm clearance to the barrel also, some come from the factory with varying gaps side-to-side.

Sako's come with integrated dovetail mounts; very nice ones at that. Mine wears Leupold/Sako ring/mount system. I like Low rings for my preferred 40mm objective, as I like my scopes as close to the bore line as possible, and I see no need for any objective larger than 40mm, as I only shoot this rifle in daytime for rats and chucks. The Leupold VHR is also a nice choice for this caliber. And I almost always have the factory install their excellent M1 elevation turret for quick and accurate dial-up's in the field.

A good day in the field with my Sako M75V having her way with some local ground squirrels.

Once you get yours up 'n runnin' with your handloads, be sure to come back with some pics and a range report. I can almost feel your smile in anticipation! :wink:

Oh, and here in Orygun, we can go into a gun store, pay, get the instant check, walk out, go home and shoot. NOT like CA!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Dogbrain

Post by Dogbrain »

Thanks so much for the awesome post! Your rig looks just like mine. I actually inspected it before my background check and it was definitely more slim and trim than I expected for a varmint rifle. I am very excited. The waiting time isn't a state mandate here, its just a function of insane demand for background checks right now. Ordered some Sako ringmounts, apperantly they mount direct to the dovetail. All I could find for a one piece solution were the optilock ringmounts and the Luepold ringmounts. Do you have ringmounts or do you have the Sako bases and Luepold rings? I read some guys really like the Talley bases and rings.

My other 204 is a howa mini, I never could quite stay in the reticle well enough to see the impact on the shot. Hoping thats possible with the new rig. It might be light enough it pops off... maybe need a to thread the barrel for a nice brake 😁.

I bought a 1,000 34gr dog towns, I have a box of 39 and a box of 32 SBK. In the current panic, I'm hoping she likes the 34 Dog Towns as SBKs seem to be impossible to find.

My buddy has a Tikka varmint 22-250, and I was besting him on some long range PDogs with my Howa. He's now giving me a hard time telling me to mentally prepare for this new gun to not shoot any better than my mini... I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Ha ha.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Dogbrain: (Like your handle :D )

Sako ring sets mount directly to the dovetails on the receiver top. No bases needed here. The Leupold/Sako rings mount right up to the receiver...no bases. Clean, neat mount system.

When shooting mine from the bench using a front rest and rear bag, it is no problem to see all the hits/misses through the scope. You should not have any issues in that regard with this rifle. Weather yours will like the 34 grainers will be a crap shoot, but many here shoot that bullet with very good results. Confidence is high. ;)

You're ready to give your buddy with the 22-250 a real run for his money! Let us know how she shoots when you've had some range time. Good luck!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

When you buddy sees how that new rifle of yours shoots, compared to his 22-250. He will be looking for one also. :D :D
SecretCode
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 vlp .204

Post by SecretCode »

Well congratulations on buying one of my dream rifles. 🥳You just had to give RIO another chance to post up the beauty. Whats her name again Rick?
Your apparently not the only one excited for that rifle. Would also be interested in how you like the SIII after a few dogs blow up in the sight picture.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

SecretCode wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:28 pm Well congratulations on buying one of my dream rifles. 🥳You just had to give RIO another chance to post up the beauty. Whats her name again Rick?
Your apparently not the only one excited for that rifle. Would also be interested in how you like the SIII after a few dogs blow up in the sight picture.
Well SC, not the OP, but to help you with your anticipation, here's another shot of my Sako 75V in 204R:

For reasons not known to even myself, this is one rifle that never got a name. Don't know why, just never happened. In the safe though, she resides next to "The Silver Princess of Death", my fast twist M700 stainless that has accounted for rat hits just past 550 yards shooting the 39gr SBK. When only one 204 is just not enough........ :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Ken158
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper 204

Post by Ken158 »

New guy here but just because I recently discovered this site. Your Sako will be an amazing addition to your arsenal. If you can stand the $$, pony up for the Sako mounts and don't look back. Nothing higher then medium should work fine for any 50mm scope and you may get away with low. Check the specs and do some measurements. If you can find some H4198 and either 32 Sierra or 32 Hornady bullets, you will have a quarter inch gun.
dirtcd
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VLS Ruger 204, Montana 204,Volquarsten 204

Post by dirtcd »

Have a new 204R Sako 85 coming with a 56mm objective night force 8x32 scope 30mm tube. What direct mount rings will work and part numbers if anyone can help?
Have to get this thing shooting the season is here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Rick can probably help you with that. However I would check out Leupold ring/mounts and you probably will find just what you need. And you can call them and discuss exactly what would be needed and they have. :)
Dogbrain

Post by Dogbrain »

dirtcd wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:20 am Have a new 204R Sako 85 coming with a 56mm objective night force 8x32 scope 30mm tube. What direct mount rings will work and part numbers if anyone can help?
Mike

I have Luepold Sako Ringmounts, 30mm high, for a 50mm. There is no way I could fit any bigger objective, it is less than 1/16" off the barrel. I would definitely recommend super-high if you go with the Luepold Ringmounts. Also be prepared for it to eject directly into the scope tube...
dirtcd
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VLS Ruger 204, Montana 204,Volquarsten 204

Post by dirtcd »

Dogbrain wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:03 pm
dirtcd wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:20 am Have a new 204R Sako 85 coming with a 56mm objective night force 8x32 scope 30mm tube. What direct mount rings will work and part numbers if anyone can help?
Mike

I have Luepold Sako Ringmounts, 30mm high, for a 50mm. There is no way I could fit any bigger objective, it is less than 1/16" off the barrel. I would definitely recommend super-high if you go with the Luepold Ringmounts. Also be prepared for it to eject directly into the scope tube...
Picked up gun today, stooped and picked up a pair Luepold Sako medium ring mounts and a pair of Sako optilock mediums, hope one set is high enough, all I could find in town. How's yours shooting??
Dogbrain

Post by Dogbrain »

It shoots really well. Yeah, good luck with the Ringmounts. I hope it works for you... The gun is good. I'm incredibly OCD, so there are some things that bother me about the design. So I'm constantly tinkering... Feel free to reach out to me with any setup questions.