Tikka T3X vs Savage Model 12 LVP

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Griff76
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12

Tikka T3X vs Savage Model 12 LVP

Post by Griff76 »

Hi brains trust.

I'm after some feedback, and really, some input in what might be a crazy idea.

I currently own a Savage Model 12 LVP with a heavy stainless barrel. It shoots very well averaging 1/2 MOA on most days. I hand load for it, and can seat my 39gn Sierra Blitzking bullets out to my preferred length.

As I live in Australia and acquiring new rifles is a challenging process.

I'm thinking of selling my Savage for a slightly nicer Tikka T3X Varmint Stainless - unless there is another high quality accurate recommendation. Not interested in SAKO as prices are too high, and the Tikka is the same thing. I'll be putting a MDT XRS Stock on it.

Does anyone have any feedback on the Tikka T3X VARMINT, specifically with the 39gn Sierra's - regarding accuracy. I'm not interested in the lighter 32gn bullets or light profile barrels. I've heard that some .204's won't stabilise the 39gn'ers in the 1 in 12 twist?

Please -I'm after real world experience.

Thoughts?
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Re: Tikka T3X vs Savage Model 12 LVP

Post by RowdyYates »

Wish they still sold the Tikka Varmint in .204 around here. Anything I’ve heard or read about the “old” Varmint/Super Varmint by those who were lucky enough to get one was good.
As far as the 39 SBK not stabilizing in a 1:12” barrel: it’s generally agreed it’s the 40-grain bullets that won’t work in that twist rate, and that’s been my experience with each of my three .204Rs. The Sierras are actually the “go to” heavy bullet for 1:12, as they seem to do well in most cases; that’s almost all I shoot.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: Tikka T3X vs Savage Model 12 LVP

Post by Bill K »

Griff76 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:40 pm
I'm after some feedback, and really, some input in what might be a crazy idea.

Does anyone have any feedback on the Tikka T3X VARMINT, specifically with the 39gn Sierra's - regarding accuracy. I'm not interested in the lighter 32gn bullets or light profile barrels. I've heard that some .204's won't stabilise the 39gn'ers in the 1 in 12 twist?

Please -I'm after real world experience.

Thoughts?
Most 204R shooters have found the 39 grain bullets ( BK's, etc) shoot just fine in a 1/12 twist. It is the 40 grain, for some reason that most find do not group well. :)