CZ 527 Varmint

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
chieffels
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint

CZ 527 Varmint

Post by chieffels »

Is anyone shooting the CZ 527 Varmint? I would like to know your favorite loads. For now, I'm using Sierra 39 gr. Blitzking.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: CZ 527 Varmint

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Welcome to the forum.

Remember every rifle is a rule unto itself. Just because another CZ 527 Varmint likes a certain load combination, is no guarantee that yours will prefer that same load. Work up your load for YOUR rifle. If you consult the Favorite Loads listed at the top header, you'll find many loads for the 39gr SBK. There is a group of powders listed that work very well in the 204R.

Good luck, but don't expect a 'magic load' to appear without doing your own load workup.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I see from you post, you are new and this is the first one. There is no magic load for YOUR rifle, unless you work it up, as RIO mentions.
Check you loading manual or visit numerous web sites the companies but out, show start loads, with a bullet/weight you want to use and do a ladder test with YOUR rifle and find the one it likes best.
If you do have the standard 1/12 twist in your rifle, then the 39 grn bullets will work better than most 40 grn or heavier one's.
The 32's always work well.
Now if you have a barrel in 1/11 twist, that is even better and they will handle most of the heavier bullets well also, along with the 32's.
Working up loads and finding what a given rifle you have, is a great part of this sport we enjoy. There are plenty of good powders and bullets on the market now days from our firearms, compared to the old days, so there is greater enjoyment in finding what works best, for You. :)
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

FWIW, of my three 204 rifles, the CZ shot the 40 grainers better than the two Remington 700's. What Rick stated though what works in one rifle won't necessarly work the same in another one identical and what Bill mentioned; to get the best accuracy, you'll have to reload, starting low and working upward. The same applies to factory ammo too because the components change across the various LOT #'s.

For example, I have two identical Remongton 700's in 204 both manufactured fairly close to each other and neither shoots the others premium load the same. They shoot OK but not optimum.
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

chieffels has not been online here for a week now. He has not checked his post since putting it up here, so must not have any real interest in the forum or his rifle and potential loads.

Unless he comes back on, it appears to be a waste of time answering with quality answers for someone who really has no interest in what we're trying to convey. Post then bail......seen it many times here and elsewhere. :?

Or maybe he's just busy with the holidays.......we'll see.......
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

Rick in Oregon wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:18 am chieffels has not been online here for a week now. He has not checked his post since putting it up here, so must not have any real interest in the forum or his rifle and potential loads.

Unless he comes back on, it appears to be a waste of time answering with quality answers for someone who really has no interest in what we're trying to convey. Post then bail......seen it many times here and elsewhere. :?

Howdy Rick in Oregon. Some of us are like a bad penny that keeps coming back :D
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
chieffels

Post by chieffels »

Daily life & Holiday time got in the way. I just got back on the site to see how the response went & I thank all of you for your answers to my post.
I have some of the different powders mentioned & will work up some loads. Will 10 shots each tell me what I need to know or should I go for more ?

Also, I bought the 39 gr. BK in bulk from a barrel at the Sierra plant about 5 yrs. ago and got several with no green ballistic tips. Will those work for a hollow point or just be more erratic? Without the tip, what would the OAL need to be?

Again, sorry for the delay.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

chieffels wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:06 am Daily life & Holiday time got in the way. I just got back on the site to see how the response went & I thank all of you for your answers to my post.
I have some of the different powders mentioned & will work up some loads. Will 10 shots each tell me what I need to know or should I go for more ?

Also, I bought the 39 gr. BK in bulk from a barrel at the Sierra plant about 5 yrs. ago and got several with no green ballistic tips. Will those work for a hollow point or just be more erratic? Without the tip, what would the OAL need to be?

Again, sorry for the delay.
The HP's will work fine, just will not open as fast as the tipped, in most cases. OAL will depend on your rifle. Start with what you have found to work best in your's and adjust from there.
I usual start with three shot groups to narrow it down, then try 5 or more for further testing. We each have our own style of doing it.
Have a very Merry Christmas. :)
chieffels

Post by chieffels »

I also do 3 shot groups. I will play with it to see how it works out.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL
inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Post by inKYfromSD »

Rick in Oregon wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:18 am chieffels has not been online here for a week now. He has not checked his post since putting it up here, so must not have any real interest in the forum or his rifle and potential loads.

Some of us get busy with life, retirement, and 20 VarTargs. :D
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

inKYfromSD wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:59 pmSome of us get busy with life, retirement, and 20 VarTargs. :D
And those are good things to be busy with...sounds familiar! Matter of fact, there's 200 neck sized and primed Lapua 20VT cases on my bench right now awaiting the powder drop.

Good to see you here again, Merry Christmas! :)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

inKYfromSD
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 varmint .204, Cooper Model 21 20 VarTarg

Post by inKYfromSD »

I can barely see my bench! 338 LM to .17 Hornet. It’s nice not having to be in a rush. Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

RL7 has its place, but not in a .204 or any case larger.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

For a 204, you won't go wrong with H4895, RL-10x, RL15, or Benchmark. Amongst those, there is no bad choice. There are others that I've heard that perform well but I haven't tried them.

RL-7 [and H4198] shines bright in my 20 VT & 221 Fireball and I hear its good in a 38-55 too which I'll explore further one of these first days.
chieffels

Post by chieffels »

My last loads are with HR 4895 & it does quite well for me.
RaymondBB
.204 Ruger Guns: predator

Post by RaymondBB »

When I had CZ Varmint I always used 40 grn loads. I also enjoyed shooting with RL-10x and RL15 at the range. I haven't experienced them while hunting but I guess it could've been fun. Btw, CZ varmint isn't my favorite barrel rifle ever, so I decided to get rid of it. Sold it to my friend from Texas for a cheap price, lol.

Got Ruger SR22 handgun for this money, and don't regret. Not a rifle, I know, but a perfect pistol for its price. You can read its characteristics on https://ballachy.com/ruger-sr22-review/ if you need some proofs. Gonna post my own review later.