Cant find factory ammo (not a reloader)

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
KEV204
.204 Ruger Guns: LMT 20" Stainless 1:12" in MRP-L MLOK 13.25 AR-15

Cant find factory ammo (not a reloader)

Post by KEV204 »

Hi guys,

I don't reload (yet). I may start when I buy my farm this year but until then I don't shoot frequently and don't have much free time.

Ive been searching on Ammo Seek and looks like only 1 vendor has ammo which is Hornady VMax for $3/round. For that price I'll just stick with 5.56 for .40 cents/round but I was curious before the Covid thing, was 204 Ruger priced less than $1/round? Id pay up to $2/round right now to go have fun but have been holding off as $3/round seems like a rip-off. I cant find this ammo anywhere local, Ive been searching since I bought the LMT 204 Ruger barrel this time last year. Exactly 1 year now and still no luck finding ammo.

Any leads/ideas where you guys buy factory ammo, for those of you who don't reload?

PS It just occurred to me, maybe this is a re-loaders round? Ive heard some rounds are so uncommon that people only reload them.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Cant find factory ammo (not a reloader)

Post by Rick in Oregon »

KEV: Normally, the shelves have lots of 204 ammo, but not right now as you know. There's still good availability of 223/5.56 ammo, so if you have a rifle so chambered, it would be the one to shoot now, as three bucks a round is a complete rip-off!

Personally, I'd wait a while, as 204 factory ammo will appear again, how long that will be is anyone's guess. In the meantime, here's hoping you've got a good 223 to shoot until things return to "normal". My 204's have never had a factory round shot through them, so I'm no help in finding factory ammo; sorry. Hopefully someone here has a place they can refer you to.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

KEV204
.204 Ruger Guns: LMT 20" Stainless 1:12" in MRP-L MLOK 13.25 AR-15

Post by KEV204 »

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the reply man. Ive read a lot of your posts over the past 1-2 yrs and found them helpful, so thanks for your presence here!

Thats good advice, I bought the barrel (sold by LMT but made by Rock Creek) on a sale for $400 and change so no big deal putting it in the closet for the time being.

Since my only other 223/556 rifles are KAC SR-15 SBR's, I may buy a Proof Carbon Fiber barrel with the military discount, they offer .223 Wylde chamber and offer 1:7 or 1:8 twist. Maybe some 45 grain .223 out of a 20" 1:8 twist would be a close second for my boy? D.Wilson converts any barrel and you just slide it into the LMT upper w/o having to know how to work on AR's. I was looking at a big stock pile of 45 grain .223 last weekend locally so that mat be the ticket
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

KEV204.. Check out Shooters Pro Shop. They showed factory (Blems) Nosler 204 R for sale yesterday. It does go fast. :)
steve_twice
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Post by steve_twice »

Keep an eye on Gunbroker ... reasonable deals pop up occasionally:

https://www.gunbroker.com/Rifle-Ammunit ... words=.204
RowdyYates
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington LVSF, Cooper M21V, C-Z 527 Kevlar V

Post by RowdyYates »

Might try www.hsmammunition.com
Hunting Shack loads .204 ammo with several different bullets, including the great 39 grain Sierra Blitzking; search under their Varmint Ammo section. I’ve used them when too busy to handload or when brass was scarce. Good quality; prices weren’t bad for loaded stuff, but who knows now?
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

Yeah, that is a problem.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes