Stumbled onto a CZ527

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Stumbled onto a CZ527

Post by Bill K »

Checked out anew gun store yesterday and walla, on the shelve was a CZ527 American in 204R. Gave it a going over and looked good and the price was really good, with how it is, so the paper work is in the over, so to speak.
Will pick it up in around ten days and then will give it a take down, cleaning and going over and see how it shoots. May end up using it for my target, this year, in the five on a dime shoot. we will see. :D

It also came with a good set of rings and three magazines.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Stumbled onto a CZ527

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Nice score there, Bill. I hope she's a shooter. A neat find like that keeps us older kids smiling.

The only CZ I own is my 527 American in 221FB. With its light sporter barrel, I don't consider it a good candidate for a bench rifle, but about perfect for walkabouts for rock chucks when the range won't exceed 300~ yards. The thing is more accurate than it should be too considering the barrel weight, but sometimes you just get lucky as I think I did with mine. It came used from a local pawn shop with little or no signs of wear, making it an even better score.

After a through cleaning, glass bedding the action and floating the barrel, adding a Leupy VX2 4-12X in Talley mounts, a new bolt handle and she's field ready.

The maze of targets below was on its first load development outing. Just like my Cooper 221FB and my Cooper 20VT, RL-7 at 18.5 grs seems to be the magic formula for all three rifles. A2200 is a very close second.

Accuracy good enough for head shooting rock chucks out to 300, and nice 'n light to pack about, even with a bipod installed. My Cooper M38 Phoenix in 221 Furball will of course outshoot this little rig, but it also weighs two pounds more with added bulk.

Good luck with your new CZ, I know you'll post a range report and your overall experience. Looking forward to it. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Basically same with me Rick. I have three of the CZ's in CF and one in RF. All shoot very nice and are accurate, after I have worked them over some.

But when I really get serious about little critters at extended ranges, then the heavier rifles come out in 20 SCC, 20 Tac.
But my Americans for fine walk about and truck/jeep guns. Think you know what I mean. Just part of the fun, we have. :D
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Bill K wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:03 pm Checked out anew gun store yesterday and walla, on the shelve was a CZ527 American in 204R. Gave it a going over and looked good and the price was really good, with how it is, so the paper work is in the over, so to speak.
Will pick it up in around ten days and then will give it a take down, cleaning and going over and see how it shoots. May end up using it for my target, this year, in the five on a dime shoot. we will see. :D

It also came with a good set of rings and three magazines.
Bill,

My 1st 204R was a CZ527 American that I still have. It's extremely accurate after performing those things that Rick mentioned [glass bedding & free floating the action]. I shoot 39gr Sierra's out of mine with a variety of powders [H4895, Rl-15, Benchmark, RL10x, IMR 8208-XBR and the list goes on] and there is-no complaints from me. I keep it as a walk-around rifle primarily and although I have used it on a bench it-is not the ideal rifle for that if it's a hot rat-patch.

Jim
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

Thats the gun I have. It shoots everything well but really likes 32grn Vmax. I left it complety stock and didnt do all ot the upgrades...well I did change the bolt handle.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

ITs a nice calling rifle, light and accurate. Most of my coyotes are under 100 yards anyway
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Tom Kat wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:56 am Thats the gun I have. It shoots everything well but really likes 32grn Vmax. I left it complety stock and didnt do all ot the upgrades...well I did change the bolt handle.
I ended up getting a factory modified bolt handle to clear the scope eyepiece, otherwise it looks the same.
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Picked up the CZ527 and here are a few shots of it. Stock has some necks and I will, in time, refinished it, but in the mean time, everything looks fine, bore, etc. and I will get it shooting, for now.
One reason I went and bought this one, is I have never seen a 527 like it. Stock cap, magazine both engraved and the bolt is very slightly different.
Appears to have been more a European made one, but does show US factory mark.
Anyone know or can give me some info on it. Age, etc. ? I have a question into CZ, but no answer yet. serial # is A04xxx . Thanks. :)
102_7995 - Copy.JPG
102_7995 - Copy.JPG (1.35 MiB) Viewed 6163 times
102_7997 - Copy.JPG
102_7997 - Copy.JPG (1.07 MiB) Viewed 6163 times
102_7999.JPG
102_7999.JPG (1.36 MiB) Viewed 6163 times
102_8000.JPG
102_8000.JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 6163 times
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bill, I'd guess that it's an American rifle that may have been custom ordered, or customized by a smith or the owner himself with the engraving.

Either way, once cleaned up and refinished, it looks to be a very nice find. It's identical to mine in 221FB, less the engraving. Show it to us when she's ready for the prom. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Thank you Rick. Kind of along the line of my thinking also. Probably will not start on the stock re-finish until later this summer/fall. Going to get this on paper, check some loads and give it a go on some chucks, with the weather warming and some starting to show. Want to see how it will actually shoot and then go from there. :)