New Forum Title?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Re: New Forum Title?

Post by Bill K »

I believe every soldier, no matter the group, is a rifleman. Navy and all learned to handle and shoot rifles and other weapons. Then there were the snipers, that went beyond the norm and used different tactics, for special duty. They all should be shown respect and thanks. My family has had Army, Marines and Navy members in it since WWI . :)
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tom Kat wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:31 pmRick I would love to see any pictures you wanted to share. I have known 2 marines who fought in WW2. One was on Iwo Jima and the other was in Guadalcanal. My Uncle was also in the USMC. He volanterred in 1970. I got to hear a lot of his stories. Any way I have respect for all Service men and women but fascinated by the Marines. I read Carlos Hathcocks book, etc...
TK, this is OT I know, but you asked.
Perhaps we need to start a new thread for former members of the military to post up old pics from their time in service, but not here as it's very much off topic. I've got a bunch of pics, all on 35mm color slides that I've been scanning for conversion to digital format. So if others would like to see old war pics, let us know and we'll create the new thread. Almost all my duty there was with both Marines and Army Cav units.

My Carlos Hathcock book now is dog-eared from being re-read probably 12 times by now by myself and friends. Carlos was in-country while I was there, and even then he was already starting to be a legend among the troops, as every time he came in from the bush, his KIA tally had grown and his rep spread even further. The battle of Ia Drang Valley (named "the valley of death") had just occurred two months prior to our arrival there, and the story was still vivid in everyone's mind. Army Colonel Hal Moore and his Air Cav unit fought off the NVA for three days there, greatly outnumbered but eventually they prevailed. Quite the story, and it even generated a movie "We Were Soldiers" with Mel Gibson as Col Moore.

So if a off-topic thread of old stories and pics is in order, let us old dogs know and we'll see what we can conjure up.
Skipper, being former USMC, do you have any material for this proposed project?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

I have old Marine Corps pics from way back. I don't see why we can't post old military pics. However posting newer, more detailed pics might have some type of restriction if deemed sensitive by the government. Might mean Moderators would have to review pics from time to time. Tarrin was nice enough to give us a Members Lounge.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Sometimes 40 seems like a long time ago. Other times, it's like it was just yesterday.

I like the forum title, I just need to remember to get here more often. Haven't been shooting my 204 a lot, did shoot one rockchuck on a walking-varmint hunt last summer. The 35 grain Berger did a fine job. :)

Inherited Dad's 22-250 last summer as well. I've never shot it, will remedy that. He clobbered a lot of prairie dogs and some ground squirrels with it.

Regards, Guy