New Forum Title?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Re: New Forum Title?

Post by Jim White »

I would agree about the name change. There are a lot more 20-cals in the game now than there was when I joined [20 Practical, 20 Tactical, 20 SCC, 20-222, 20-250 and I'm sure more are out there I haven't mentioned].

For me, I have three 204 Rugers and don't plan on parting with any of them anytime soon. But Rick's info and PM about the 20 VT got me to building one of them and I'm sure glad I did. It wasn't cheap a journey but a fun one from beginning to end but it has been well worth it. It reminds me of the first M1 rifle I put together by myself except barreling because I didn't have the tools but I was there when it was being done but the rest was all me. Anyway, the VT is definitely a keeper.

Shortly afterwards, along came two 221 Fireballs and although they're 224 cals I don't see me parting ways with them anytime soon either. In fact they're every bit as fun to shoot as the VT.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

I love my .221 Fireball. Its an important part of my varmint arsenal.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Tom Kat wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:12 pmI love my .221 Fireball. Its an important part of my varmint arsenal.
Spot-on there, TK!

I love my 204's and 20VT, but my Furballs have a place in my battery too. Great bullet selection, very accurate, less powder = less expensive to shoot, mild in every way except for the terminal performance. Inside of 350 yards, it really shines, and lets face it, that's about where 90% of our shooting takes place.

A pic from spring this year. POV is from my position scoping a distant rock pile with my Cooper M38 Phoenix 221FB. The rock pile can be seen in the far distance with a fat chuck sunning on the rocks.

As this Furball shoots the Nosler BT and their VG into 1/4" or less, head shots are the norm. No crawl-offs here, and as this shot was under 200 yards, the terminal performance leaves little to desire. Can you say "DRT?" :wink:

My other Furball is a CZ American that also shoots very well considering its light contour barrel and walnut stock, but I much prefer the synthetic stock on this rifle so I don't goon up my nice Carlo walnut stocks on my other Coopers while skulking about the lava rock piles that are abundant in these parts. Nice to have both chambering and stock choices fit for any varmint outing, right?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Guy M

Post by Guy M »

I don't do as much varmint shooting as I would like, my 204 often just hangs out in the safe, waiting patiently to be put back in use.

I'm good with 20 cal anything. We already have areas for big game and such.

Regards, Guy
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

My Furball is a CZ American as well. I shot a really good male coyote with it at 75 yards last winter. He was an "old" dog, fully mature and quite heavy to move about. I had good shot placement (chest) and it was cool to see him take that bullet through the scope. He just kind of stiffened up and fell over dead. If memory serves it was a 40 gr NBT driven by 8208XBR.

Its a great all around varmint caliber for all the reasons you outlined above.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Tarrin
.204 Ruger Guns: AR

Post by Tarrin »

I didn't like this idea when I first read it a few months ago. I think the specificity of the site is part of what has made this forum great, instead of just another general forum lost in the noise.
However, as time rolls on it's true the newness of the 204 has worn off. If the good people here think a 'rebranding' would help the core community continue to grow, I'm open to ideas.

Thanks for thinking outside the box Rick.
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Tarrin wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:33 am I didn't like this idea when I first read it a few months ago. I think the specificity of the site is part of what has made this forum great, instead of just another general forum lost in the noise.
However, as time rolls on it's true the newness of the 204 has worn off. If the good people here think a 'rebranding' would help the core community continue to grow, I'm open to ideas.

Thanks for thinking outside the box Rick.
The NATURAL tie in for this forum is....hunting. Who really cares about the .204? Hunters! just saying, a good way to raise our online profile would be some emphasis on varmint hunting. We are an older group who does some hunting and a lot of target shooting...

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Yes it is hunting, mainly small to medium sized varmints. So, the good old 204 Ruger is right at home. Sure, all of us have other calibers, larger, for larger game and even some real tricked out bench rifles and handguns, for target shooting.
But the forum, I believe, was aimed at the 204 Ruger, by the moderator/owner and it is his to do with it as he wants. I enjoy the 204 R Five on a Dime shoot, each year, that Skipper works very hard to let us enjoy and look forward to this new years shoot, if he chooses to have another.

In the meantime, some photos, to show critters we shoot with the 204 R and even other small 17 & 20 calibers, would be nice. So how about some of these, from the last year and before, in pivots and rim rocks to sage. ??? BIll K :D
5-25-20 rock chucks.JPG
5-25-20 rock chucks.JPG (163.55 KiB) Viewed 10649 times
102_4800.JPG
102_4800.JPG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 10649 times
102_4797.JPG
102_4797.JPG (1.23 MiB) Viewed 10649 times
102_4795.JPG
102_4795.JPG (1.34 MiB) Viewed 10649 times
102_4792.JPG
102_4792.JPG (1.16 MiB) Viewed 10649 times
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

A few others. Let's see some of your's. :D
rockchucks and 17 hornet.jpeg
rockchucks and 17 hornet.jpeg (181.99 KiB) Viewed 10648 times
Howa 20 SCC and CZ 527 17 Fire ball.jpg
Howa 20 SCC and CZ 527 17 Fire ball.jpg (6.07 KiB) Viewed 10648 times
102_7701.JPG
102_7701.JPG (1.15 MiB) Viewed 10648 times
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Do we have any active members here under the age of 40? signed, age 61

John Maynard Keynes
foxwhistler
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington L.V.S.F

Post by foxwhistler »

I wish I was under the age of 40, but unfortunately not!🙄
I only have to be lucky once,
the fox has to be lucky every time!
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

foxwhistler wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:52 am I wish I was under the age of 40, but unfortunately not!🙄
'
Boy would I love to be 40 again, but sadly I am double that, plus 4 years. ( 1938 DOB )
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I was 40........once.
Back then I was just as "gunny" as now, just more zip then.
My first varmints fell to my .22LR old Mossberg back around 1968, now they fly from my 204's. :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Rick I would love to see any pictures you wanted to share. I have known 2 marines who fought in WW2. One was on Iwo Jima and the other was in Guadalcanal. My Uncle was also in the USMC. He volanterred in 1970. I got to hear a lot of his stories. Any way I have respect for all Service men and women but fascinated by the Marines. I read Carlos Hathcocks book, etc...

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Sorry to get derailed. Every Marine is a rifleman. Its how they roll.

John Maynard Keynes