2023, 204's and RATS!

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: 2023, 204's and RATS!

Post by Rick in Oregon »

PD Wisperer, welcome to the forum.
Glad you were able to get out after the dogs, looks like you've got it dialed, but dude!.....what's the story on all that funky looking brass? Looks like it is years old left over from a firefight. Did it look like that when you shot it all? :chin:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Rick...this trip certainly looks better than last years outing. It looks like you folks found the whole herd of rats, after all they had an extra year to grow.

Bill...my goodness, thats a lot of snow. I sure hope it melts slowly as not to cause any more problems than it has already. I read the other day where Lake Tulare is filling back up after being after being dry for many years. Hopefully no heat waves any time soon either,

Brass whore/brass hound; count me in too, especially after all the prep work I've put into each one of them. Now if SR primers and 20 caliber pills will make a come back and at some reasonable prices things will surely pick up.

Thanks for sharing everyone,
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I am happy to report Jim, that the snow is melting and bare ground is beginning to show in the area. Now they have a flood watch in all the lower areas, especially down off my mountain area and into the valley/town area.
So there is light at the end of the tunnel, and rock chucks and other squeeks will be showing. :D

Some photos of the previous area on the east side of my little cabin.
000_0002 (1).JPG
000_0002 (1).JPG (1.27 MiB) Viewed 13172 times
000_0002.JPG
000_0002.JPG (1.41 MiB) Viewed 13172 times
000_0003 (1).JPG
000_0003 (1).JPG (1.4 MiB) Viewed 13172 times
000_0003.JPG
000_0003.JPG (1.17 MiB) Viewed 13172 times
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

We got out for 8 days in the Orygun outback for some fun with rodents a couple of weeks ago. The fields were still brown, just barely starting the green-up, so the rats were out, but not in the copious numbers we experience a bit later in the season. The females were mostly still underground nursing their young, so no babies out 'n about this trip.

But rats did indeed fly! Most of the shooting was 300-350 yards or less due to terrain contours, so I mostly shot my Cooper M38 20VT and saved my 204 for the longer stuff that never materialized, dangit!

Set up on the perimeter pivot two-track, about 75 yards apart with a good cone of overlapping fire. No rat was safe inside that zone. :wink:

"Scooter" as she's called, doing a bit of barrel cooling after 23 rats had just completed their flying lessons:

Some of the country near where we have our annual Rat Rodeo:

It was too windy after noontime for any further shooting, so the cleaning chores took place in our trailers. Better conditions inside with some tunes on, some munchies and a beverage of choice to make the task more enjoyable:

Only the mirage prevented some very long shots. With the undulating terrain contours added in, it made the real long stuff quite the chore. We didn't have any ranch flatbeds or trailers available to gain some elevation this time. My longest hit this trip was 421 yards, still a dead rat, but not as satisfying as when you're able to really reach out and get a great launch at extended range.

The lack of canopy sun shades tells the weather story. Not warm enough yet to need them, but I hope to get out for another week soon once the fields green-up and both the females and the young are out 'n about. Always a rewarding time of year. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

Thank you Rick for the photo's and story. Sure looked like it would have been fun and enjoyable. :D
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS, Cooper Model 21, Remington 40x

Post by Jim White »

Bill...your place looks much better without all of that snow. Sure, snow makes for nice pictures and all but it has it downsides and especially when there is that much of it. I'm looking FWD to your rat reports that I presume will be coming along in good time.

Rick...as usual, you put on a good accounting of your adventures. Maybe the 204's will see more usage next time out. Myself, I have a couple of Coopers in 221 Fireball that are just chomping at the bit to get out there.

Everyone have fun and stay safe a nd don't give them rats a moments rest!

Jim