Target scope on paper, shows promise

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Target scope on paper, shows promise

Post by Tom Kat »

Today is a gray, cool day with 2 mph wind. In Kansas you have to take the days when you get them. So I had a dozen round ready to go and I went out this morning and fine tuned my sight in a bit. Load is 32 gr vmax with 27.8 grn of Benchmark. These are items I have an abundance of and wanted to start somewhere. I don't really intend on using these bullets for hunting. That will be some 35 gr Bergers (hoepfully) But they will serve me for barrel break in and sighting in purposes. Plus, anything zipping out at 4,000 fps is a good thing!

The best group so far was ok, I think the gun and the shooter can do a better job. But this was not a bad start-
Last edited by Tom Kat on Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Tom Kat

Re: Target scope on paper, shows promise

Post by Tom Kat »

Last edited by Tom Kat on Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

TK, probably now time to tweak your seating depth to find that sweet-spot. I've found that sometimes it only takes a few thou' either way to get that node that puts a big smile on your face from a dinky group on target. :chin: At this juncture, neck tension also comes into play; something to take note of and consider too. Consistency is the name of this game.

The 204R is a unique animal. Not many calibers work well with such extreme bullet jump, but the 204R continues to show us that not all reloading/caliber dogma is true. My 204's are not my most accurate rifles, as some of my other rat rifles outperform them easily on paper, but in the field at extended range, that screamin' velocity with 'adequate' accuracy sure puts the hurt on varmints.

If your Ruger American shoots in the 1/2" range with hunting loads, I'd say "you've arrived". :D

You can easily spend more to gain more, but one must consider cost/benefit. My "SPOD" (the Silver Princess of Death) started out as a stainless M700, got blueprinted, barrel threads re-cut and trued, action face trued, lugs trued, Pac-Nor SS Super Match barrel chambered with my custom reamer for zero freebore (thanks Todd), Holland surface ground recoil lug, HS Precision chassis stock, skim bedded, 8 oz Jewell trigger all under a Leupold Vx3 6.5-20X LR scope with M1 elevation, it now shoots under 1/4" with her pet load, but it took time and money to get there. I suppose in the end it's like building race cars....."how fast do you want to go? Speed costs!"

The Silver Princess doing what she does best.....launch and/or vaporize small varmints way out there (head shots at 300 anyone?).:

Don't believe that? Just ask Skipper about his sweet custom Speedy G. rifle. :chin:
Good luck with your Ruger project, looks like she's comin' along!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

I agree. I am going to load up some 35 gr Bergers and get it ready for coyote hunting.

John Maynard Keynes
Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

TK I added to a previous post in the tread of asking about the 34 grn. Varmint Nightmares. Photo of target and coyote shot with Nosler LF's bullets in 204R and yote with 20-223AI. My 20 cals like the Nosler bullets and like Rick, many are Nosler's 2nds . :)
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

cool, I will look

John Maynard Keynes