Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless 23 3/8" or Savage 12 LRPV 26"

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
grantmoyer
.204 Ruger Guns: none

Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless 23 3/8" or Savage 12 LRPV 26"

Post by grantmoyer »

Currently don't own any .204 Ruger rifles. Am torn between the subject two. Will be used for groundhogs, crows, fox, coyote and as a benchrest/plinking gun.

Would appreciate thoughts/opinions on which to choose from those with experience using either or both.

Thanks.

PS - Will be reloading my own, if that matters.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless 23 3/8" or Savage 12 LRPV 26"

Post by skipper »

The Savage LRPV is a single shot only rifle that your going to have to load each round by hand. Might not be the best choice for hunting, but it's a beast of a bench rifle. Quick follow up shots are going to be out of the question. The Tikka T3 is, IMO, a better hunting rifle that can hold its own in a shooting contest. I guess it just depends if you want to have to carry around a pocket full of ammo or not while hunting. The Tikka T3X Varmint might be the ticket.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
grantmoyer

Post by grantmoyer »

Appreciate the info, skipper.

From an overall build quality standpoint, how would you rate each? I currently have a Tikka T3x in 6.5CM that is a great shooter and is flawless regarding reliability and fit/finish, but I've never owned a Savage and do read/hear about how they can be hit or miss on build quality.
Tom Kat
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527, Ruger American Predator in Magpul Hunter stock

Post by Tom Kat »

My Tika T3 is a well made production rifle. I like it.

I have owned many Savages, all were good shooters. I have 2 now, both are really accurate hunting rifles.

I don't buy into the CM hype, that's a generational thing I am sure. I am too set in my ways LOL

I am a big fan of the .22-250 They are still one of the best coyote rifles you could ever own. I have killed many a coyote, prairie dog, and crow with them.

I own two .204 rifles and I come to like the caliber more and more. You should take the plunge and get something with some speed :)

There you have it. What are you going to do?
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

I don't own either rifle, but from experience I'll opine.....

If you primarily are a PD or ground squirrel/chuck shooter from the bench, then the Savage would be the best choice. Myself and everyone I shoot with all shoot single shot from the bench, usually with a single shot bolt gun or a repeater with a single shot adapter installed.

If you actually hunt on your hind legs and roam about, the Tikka would be the obvious choice for weight and bulk reduction, plus give you the advantage of a repeater.

So in our 'gunny world', it's clear you need both. This gives you the chance to snag one rifle now, then the other later when funds are available. Once done, you'll have the best of both worlds. See, simple logic! :wink:

(This 'simple logic' is what has resulted in a safe here containing more than 30 rifles in both game and varmint configuration, so go easy there, Grasshopper, or you'll end up like some of us here :eek: ......)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Thats good advice ^^^^^ The Tikka is the one I prefer to carry over land. Its light and handy
"The difficulty lies not so much in developing new ideas as in escaping from old ones."

John Maynard Keynes
grantmoyer

Post by grantmoyer »

Tom Kat wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:49 am
I own two .204 rifles and I come to like the caliber more and more. You should take the plunge and get something with some speed :)

There you have it. What are you going to do?
Thanks for the info.

Yea. I really like the high speed/low recoil, ability to see impact thru the scope. Still not sure which way I'll go.
grantmoyer

Post by grantmoyer »

[quote="Rick in Oregon" post_id=96628 time=1703438958

(This 'simple logic' is what has resulted in a safe here containing more than 30 rifles in both game and varmint configuration, so go easy there, Grasshopper, or you'll end up like some of us here :eek: ......)
[/quote]

Or, in my case, most likely end up in a divorce... ;)
grantmoyer

Post by grantmoyer »

Like the right bolt/left port and 26" barrel on the Savage, but a little leary on the reliability and quality. Like the Tikka actions, reliability and rep for overall build quality, but the 24" 12 twist barrel makes me a little doubtful of its ability to stabilize 40gr bullets. (Not sure the Savage 12 twist will either, but the longer barrel may help...)

Since most of my shooting will be from a bench, kinda leaning toward the Savage (even though the price is $200-$300 higher than the Tikka... :shock: ).
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Grant, if you plan on shooting 40gr bullets, the 12 twist has proven to be problematic. The 204R shines with bullets from 32 to 39grs though using the 12 twist.

I built my custom 204 using a Pac-Nor 11 twist and could not be more pleased. It'll shoot all the 40's with great accuracy, but the 39gr SBK is the best of the lot for 'heavy' bullet in the 204R. If you stick with bullets under 40grs in a factory 12T barrel, you'll be okay, but keep this in mind making the choice of rifle.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bill K
.204 Ruger Guns: also now, a Savage switch bull barrel in 204R. 23 inch SS

Post by Bill K »

I fully agree with Rick and his advice on the barrel twist. If you have not ordered really consider the 11 twist, think you will find much better results in the long haul. :)
grantmoyer

Post by grantmoyer »

Greatly appreciate all the feedback.

I agree an 11 twist would be better for 40gr, but don't see any factory offerings for same. Assume would have to go custom which I prefer not to have to do for a hunting/plinking rifle. I've read that there are some 12 twists that do ok with 40's, but it's hit or miss.
skipper

Post by skipper »

I don't know if it's any consolation but, the 39 Grain Sierra Blitz Kings have shown to be a valued alternative to 40 grain offerings.

If it's a Savage LRPV you're thinking about you might be interested to know we had a member take top honors with one the first year of the 5 Shot Challenge Competition.

Right bolt, left port, accutrigger, 26 inch heavy barrel, fluted, stainless steel, fiberglass stock. What more could you want from a production rifle?
Tom Kat

Post by Tom Kat »

Another vote for the Sierra 39 gr bullet...of all the different .204 bullets I have shot none made the resounding THUMP on the back stop that 39 gr bullet made. I am a big Sierra fan in general, I have toured their factory. Good people, great bullets.

John Maynard Keynes
skipper

Post by skipper »

grantmoyer

However you decide, please let us know the outcome. Inquiring minds, you know? We'll help you get her setup and all dialed in. Lots of tips and a vast knowledge base on this website. Oh, and BTW we LOVE pictures!!