Finally got my .204

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
Fatty

Finally got my .204

Post by Fatty »

After a long long wait.

Tax returns are a beautiful thing!

I settled on a Savage 12FV.

Now comes the fun part of finding a quality fixed 10 power scope. I'm thinking 10X42, 30mm. Keep pointing to the SS 10X42M. Can't beat that quality for only $399.00.

Also got my eye on a duramax stock for it.

Can't wait to see how it groups.

:D
Fatty

Post by Fatty »

Almost forgot.

I paid $449.00 out the door. I hope that was a fair price.

Just had to have it.
will227457

Post by will227457 »

what are your planned uses for the gun sounds like with a fixed power you will be limiting yourself......anyways great gun!!!!
RacefacE

Post by RacefacE »

hah, i just bought the same thing with my tax returns! topping it off with a mueller eraticator.

i paid 660 after fees, but petaluma reloading is the only place that has knowledgeable staff around here. they hooked up some ammo too. i pick mine up tomorrow!
Fatty

Post by Fatty »

I live in Oregon so I enjoy sage rats, yotes etc..

10x for me is plenty. I dont see myself shooting more than 300 yards with the rifle and if I don't have eyeballs that work with 10x, then I need not be sending a projectile at 4200 fps across the landscape now do I?

LOL

I'm a firm believer that when you change the magnification on a scope, it does change the POI of the round. I'm a fanatic when it comes to accuracy.

I just can't wait to shart shooting it.

:lol:
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Fatty: No flame intended at all, but seriously, if variable scopes indeed DID change POI, do you really think Leupold would be selling literally thousands of variables to both the military (SEALS, SOCOM, Infantry, USMC) and hundreds of thousands of civilian shooters (including me) for all these years?

The old variables, and the cheapies do what you claim, but scopes like Nikon, Leupold, Nightforce, Burris, do not change POI, and I've proven that fact to myself every time I get a new one at the range long before it ever goes into the field with the tracking/square test.

Maybe it's been a while since you used a good high quality variable? :wink:

But all that aside, good luck with the new rifle! :D It's almost time for our sage rats.....
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

will227457

Post by will227457 »

I'm with him you are really limiting yourself if you do not look into a good quality variable, POI will not change....keep in mind I said good variable to me this means Leupold VXlll or better and you will have no problems, more flexibility and for only a little more money than the SS scope that you are currently looking at. I would recommend the Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX-III Riflescope, and I agree at 300 yards 10x is all you really need, but with this scope you can crank it down for fast shots on coyote, or other predator hunting.....i think this scope retails for 499.00...
Cooper Varmint Man

Post by Cooper Varmint Man »

Fatty: No flame intended at all, but seriously, if variable scopes indeed DID change POI, do you really think Leupold would be selling literally thousands of variables to both the military (SEALS, SOCOM, Infantry, USMC) and hundreds of thousands of civilian shooters (including me) for all these years?

The old variables, and the cheapies do what you claim, but scopes like Nikon, Leupold, Nightforce, Burris, do not change POI, and I've proven that fact to myself every time I get a new one at the range long before it ever goes into the field with the tracking/square test.

Maybe it's been a while since you used a good high quality variable?
Well said Mr Rick!

I know that I recently made a 278 yard head shot on a P-dog (that was all that was poking out of the hole)........the VXIII 6.5-20x40mm set at 20x allowed for me to take this shot with a fair amount of confidence. I have whacked them out past 350 yards and the 20x works well for me if my rifle is in a stable set-up.

Anywho...nice pick up Fatty. A range/field report will be expected.
Last edited by Cooper Varmint Man on Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

Fatty--Congratulations on the rifle purchase. Like Rick in Oregon, and no flame intended, I really think you are limiting your ability to make those long-range shots by going with a fixed 10X scope. But then, that's just my opinion. I've been shooting variable powered scopes since the 1970s and, to my knowledge, have never missed a shot, long or short, because of the change of POI due to changing magnification.

I have four rifles I use quite a bit when out prairie doggin'. One of them has a Burris Fulfield 6-18x scope on it. I have two of those scopes and have one of them on a .243 caliber rifle that I don't use much and I think that scope was purchased in the 1970s (if my memory serves me right) and the other one sits on my Tikka Master Sporter in 22-250 and that scope was purchased in the early 1980s. They still serve me well. Another rifle (a Lilja barreled .17 Remington) has a Burris Signature scope in 6-24x that I bought as a refurbished scope maybe 7 or 8 years ago. The scope that sits on my Savage 12VLP in .204 Ruger is a Leupold VX-III 6.5-20x40mm long range scope with the 30mm tube and side focus--SWEET SCOPE!!! The other prairie dog popper is my Pac-Nor barreled .17 Remington. That rifle has a Sightron II 6.5-20x50mm side focus scope with a Mil-Dot reticle. I haven't used that scope enough to really decide whether I'll buy another or not, but it has worked well so far with the exception of a loose side focus knob. The scope was sent in to Sightron and they are sending brand new replacement scope to me.

Anyway, if you have a chance to try out someone's rifle that has a good quality variable powered scope, please try it. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how good these newer scopes work.

I hope your rifle is a shooter.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
savage rookie
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV, Savage VLP

Post by savage rookie »

I think that the belief of POi changing with a power change is that on lower powers, the cross hair takes up more of the target and as you zoom in you have more a descrimnating view, leaving one with the idea that the POI is changing while infact one is having more precise control over choosing where to put their reticle.

Nice choice by the way you'll be more than happy with a savage....I know i am.

Paige
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Check the optics thread - I posted Midway's sale on Nikon's.....about $120 off normal....
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

I just received a $25 off coupon via email from midway - code OPTIC3002 on any scope over $300.

You could buy a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20 for $325! (would be $469).
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

Bushnell elite 4200 6x24 target dot LOVE IT!!!! Good price and very clear . Save your money and get a good scope. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. Looking out in them alfafa feilds in The great state of Oregon all day puts a tax on your eye balls I love the fine crosshairs and target dot of my elite 4200.
kevinsulikowski

scope

Post by kevinsulikowski »

im with everyone else i would get an adjustable scope . 4-12X40 or a 5-15X40. im personally fitting my gun with one of the two in the bushnell legend. this way you can shoot 50 yds out to 200 or 250 a 10 power fixed will over power a target at 50 yards
SportFaller

Post by SportFaller »

To the best of my knowledge, a variable power only changes your POI in one case…..

When I first started shooting a mil dot reticule, I had my 204 the second dot above the crosshairs zeroed at 200 yards, and 100 yards was dead center crosshairs. This ONLY worked on 10x. when I zoomed out my 200 yard dot was way off. Apparently on my cheap tasco the power adjust is before the reticule in the tube.

Since then I have re zeroed my scope to dead on at 100, and shoot “come-ups” off my ballistics table. Target knobs make re-zero easy.
H&R handi rifle in .204
Browning BLR lever in 300WSM
Savage MarkII FV in 22lr
Walther P22
Benelli Nova
various others.