my first .204r - Ruger#1-V stainless

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
saladin

my first .204r - Ruger#1-V stainless

Post by saladin »

for a long time i've been wanting to own a Ruger #1, but was always concerned with their accuracy reputation. More recently, i've also wanted to own a .204 , but found it difficult to justify with a 22-250 in the safe. But i've finally not only overcome both hesitations, i've solved them both with the one rifle!!!

So here she is:

the scope on board is currently an old model T-16 Weaver. this is the only scope i have in my possession that allows me to get the eye relief correct for offhand shooting. All my other scopes foul on the rear scope ring before i can get it far enough back for eye alignment. Has anyone else with one of these rifles had this problem, and what scope did you end up choosing? Lynx scopes have 4 inches of eye relief so they might be worth looking at?

Also, is 16x power enough for this calibre? It'll be mainly a long range bunny and fox gun, plus some casual range shooting. Or should i look in the 6-20x or even 6-24x power range? Personally, i prefer fixed power for hunting, but no doubt a good variable is worthwhile for this rig.

So far, it has only had 8 rounds through it. But it is a joy to shoot, with noticeably less recoil and blast than the 22-250. i have it shooting 1/2 inch high at 50 yards (ran out of daylight before moving out to 100 yards), so hopefully this puts it an inch or so high at 100.

i will let you all know how it shoots when i've had a proper session with it.
aussiemick

Re: my first .204r - Ruger#1-V stainless

Post by aussiemick »

That's a fine looking rig you have there.
Hope it brings you much joy, always wanted a #1 but never got there well maybe next one!!!!!!!!

Cheers Mick.
Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

Very fine rifle you have there! Congratulations, and thanks for the report and photos. I have a #1 varmint in 22-250, and have a Leupold III in 6X18 on it. I had to use "extended" mounts/rings in order to get the eye relief....Good luck!
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Drew Jaeger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF II

Post by Drew Jaeger »

That's a very nice unit indeed. Looking forward to seeing some groups once the barrel has been run in and a load developed.
Cheers

Drew

"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

saladin: Nice rifle there buddy, you'll have lots of good times afiield with her. That scope should be plenty for your intended purposes at 16X. Never hurts to have more power on tap though for small targets at extended range.

As for the ring interference, Leupold makes many sets of ring & mount sets for the Ruger single shots. They have an offset base and ring set that allows more freedom of mounting to solve your current problem.

I also love the Ruger single shots, have a No.1V in .223 Rem, and a No.3 in .17 Ackley Hornet. The No.1 has a Leupold setup as shown below. It wears a Leupold 6.5-20X with perfect eye relief, and has been the doom of thousands of pesky rodents in the 20 years she's lived with me. With what Leupold has available for these rifles, you should be able to secure a setup that will work quite well.

Here's a better look at the rear ring arrangement:

Good luck with yours, you're going to love the 204. ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Post by Hotshot »

Good luck with your new rifle, it looks great! I have had a few Number 1's over the years and I always had good luck with the old style Burris scopes. They are long and have the adjustment turrets way forward so they work well on those rifles. 16 power would be too much on a hot day in a prairie dog town in Montana. The mirage usually limits us to 12 or 14. Personally I like the 20 power at the range to test loads and pinpoint my zero, then use a lower power in the field. 16 is also too much for running game like if you were coyote hunting.
Glen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem700ADL

Post by Glen »

Congrats on the new rig!! Very nice indeed!!

And Welcome to the Forum!! :mrgreen:
Friends Are Friends By Nature.

RIP Russ,Blaine, & Darrell!!

I don't like repeat offenders. I like DEAD offenders!!
Ted Nugent

Isn't there a minimum age for grampas??
^^^^^^
Audrey Renae told me "No there isn't"!!

Glen
HogPopper

Post by HogPopper »

I've always been a #1 fan. Had one once in 6mm Remington. They are elegant rifles. I know they have their issues just like every other rifle, but they just feel "good" in my hands.
saladin

Post by saladin »

thanks to all for your comments. i realise leupold make offset mounts, and will investigate that option. do they make them in stainless? i'm not sure.

will update as things happen.
saladin

Post by saladin »

just thought i'd post some update photo's following the rifles' first range session.

Conditions were gloriously sunny, but a very tricky wind was blowing. It would gust up in one direction at the firing mound, but be swirling the opposite way at the target!!!

After running in the barrel with a dozen or so shots, i sat down for some 5 shot groups with Hornady factory loadings. Range was 100 yards, the aiming points are 25mm diameter.

Above:i don't know what happened to the shot at 5 'o'clock. the other group of the 40's that i shot were all within the aiming point. I'll take that performance quite happily :D

Above: the 32gr factory hornady's had virtually no vertical spread, but whether the darn wind spread them sideways, or whether that's just how this rifle shoots them, is yet to be determined. Still, not too bad for factory loads.

I also had some 3 and 4-shot batches of handloads to try out in half grain increments. Cases are Hornady. Powder was AR2208, and Win748, loaded behind 39gr Sierra's.

Both loads showed some promise. Again, windage drift made things tough to assess. I was able to call one flyer, but another one went unexplained. Even so, it still shot well under the inch. Makes me wonder whether or not to start playing with the forend bedding etc. Might keep developing handloads for a bit to pin down a baseline level before introducing more variables.

In any event, i'm very happy so far. There hasn't been any sign of the oft-mentioned vertical walking that so many people hate about the #1's. The trigger is not brilliant, but not a basket case either. It's heaps of fun to shoot in this calibre too. Up to now, it's a success. I still haven't sorted out the scope issue yet, though.