How far out for bronze brush ?!!

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Re: How far out for bronze brush ?!!

Post by skipper »

If you fired 50 rounds and cleaned 10 strokes for every shot fired, that would amount to 500 strokes with a bore brush. That seems a little excessive. I agree with the idea of cleaning until you get a clean patch and then stop.

New technologies and improved equipment emerge daily. Embrace them or be left in the dust.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Back in the days of excessive brushing I would throw out a Dewey brush if it could be reversed in the bore.
Now I stroke ten times or so no matter how many rounds down the tube. I have on occasion gone 200rds without cleaning. That would equal 2000 strokes :eek:
I use JB or Iosso paste if my throat feels rough. If my throat is still rough after that I'll call in sick :lol:

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Yep, ten strokes per shot IS excessive, at least to me. I give ten round trips with the snug-fitting brush, two wet patches to clear out the crud, then ten more brush strokes, then patch clean/dry.

If I've shot more than 50 rounds since the last copper treatment, I'll send some CR-10 down the bore with two wet patches. If they come out blue, then I repeat till only a trace of blue comes out after stewing for 10 to 15 minutes, then neutralize with Shooters Choice and dry out the tube. A friend with a bore scope confirms that my barrels are clean and copper free using this technique, so it must work. It's basically the Sinclair method, taken from their excellent book on Precision Reloading and Shooting, latest edition should be ready any time now.

Doing the dreaded deed to my Sako 204 in the field during a colony squirrel shoot this year while trying out Hoppe's new Elete Gun Cleaner.....seems to work quite well:

Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Post by Rugerdogdog »

Rick you rock, I would love to test out the new Hoppe's stuff. Or am I wrong in assuming that you are there with the Hoppe's folks, giving input and critiques and what not. Who makes CR-10 and is it safe for an AR? I know Wipe-out says "not to be used on gas operated semi-auto weapons".
I have a horrible confession to make. Until very recently I have only used Hoppe's #9 to clean all of my bores. I thought I was getting the copper out. That's how my dad did it and that's how he taught me. However I shoot about 5 times more rounds per year than he ever did, about 100 times more than he does now.
I need to get the copper out before The Postal Shoot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Post by Verminator2 »

UH-OH!! I didn't see the part about not to be used on gas operated weapons :wall: Guess I'll have to stop, darn, that stuff worked good.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

10 brush strokes for every round fired....? OUCH!! I'd have a sore elbow and be ready for Tommy John surgery after a day of PD shooting...

With all the products available today, a good approach is to attack the carbon first and then go after the copper. Having to stoke a barrel ten times with a brush for each shot is not in the cards this day and age with all the good solvents available both for powder and for copper fouling. At least at my house it isn't... and the barrels are coming clean as is.

As for short stroking a barrel, I too use a well-worn for caliber brush wrapped with a patch and coated with JB or solvent to rid the throat area of tough coatings. I typically use a worn 17 caliber brush wrapped with a tight patch to short stroke/scrub 20 caliber barrels. And worn 20 caliber brushes for short stroking .224" bores and so on.... As you get to the larger bore diameters - 6MM and above - I just use a good solvent, proper caliber brushes, and clean patches until a larger caliber hunting rifle bore is clean.

And, as Rick stated, a bore scope will show if you're getting a barrel clean. But so will the accuracy results on a target generally....

Again, to each their own.... What works for one person may not work for another. -BCB
BunGhoLeo

Post by BunGhoLeo »

Regaurdless if your brushing or patching, I'm surprized none of you have mentioned cleaning off the rod after it comes back out of the barrel. The patch isn't the only thing that crud sticks to.