bore guide?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
mudbug660
.204 Ruger Guns: savage 12fv

bore guide?

Post by mudbug660 »

Hi all. I just got me a new savage 12fv and I'm about to order a bore guide for it and I'd rather have one that's for my gun instead of a universal one. I was looking at the ejs but I can't find one for my gun. Any help?
jo191145

Re: bore guide?

Post by jo191145 »

Welcome to the forum mudbug.
I use universals in my Savages and am perfectly happy.
Want the best? Do a search for Lucas rod/bore quides. They don't get any better than that.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Lee C.

Post by Lee C. »

I'm with jo191145 on this one, I use the stoney point bore guides and they do a good job i think. If i had some custom barrels i might think about a lucas bore guide. But i'm happy with the stoney point for now. Midway usa has the EJS bore guides if thats what your looking for. Welcome to the forum,
mudbug660
.204 Ruger Guns: savage 12fv

Post by mudbug660 »

I was looking at the ejs on midway but i couldn't find a savage on the fitment chart.but if ya'll say the stoney points are good enough then I might just have to give it a try. Thanks for the help
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

The Lucas bore guide is hard to beat.
skipper wrote:Mike Lucas makes an excellent bore guide. His number is (803) 356-0282. His guides have an insert that fits the diameter of your rod and O rings to seal off the rod and chamber. Cleaning solvents only go down the tube and the rod is supported better. You will need to give him the diameter of your cleaning rod.

Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
savage rookie
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV, Savage VLP

Post by savage rookie »

I'm in need for a bore guide right now also, but I am also a cheap @ss, so I am would rather turn one my self and save a few dollars. I think I have the gist of it, but how far does the bore guide travel into the chamber, I am assuming just to the shoulder?
The handle of the axe comes from the tree it chops.
WHISTLEPIG

Post by WHISTLEPIG »

Hey guys, a Lucas is only 30 some dollars. Why mess with it? Get the best and work one hour overtime. You cannot get the materials and the gas to go get them for that. You do not have to have a custom barrel to ruin it with a sub par guide. You have already started at a disadvantage with a factory barrel. Dont make it worse with a channeled crown and a beaten throat from a bending rod. The rod guide is one of the most important accessories you can buy.
savage rookie
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV, Savage VLP

Post by savage rookie »

I was thinking I would stay at school for an hour extra, prototype the first out out of delrin, then once its finalized, move on to some alum...I've already payed for materials with my tuition.

I've looked at a few of the generic, universal BGs and it looks pretty simple, but for the 30$ it is something to look into. Even with a new factory savage replacement being 180$ its an expense that could be best spent somewhere else.
The handle of the axe comes from the tree it chops.