bullet spash ?

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
cracker

bullet spash ?

Post by cracker »

when my buddy and i shoot we like to hang coins out to shoot at. we made a frame for shooting out of 2x4s and ran wire across to hang our targets from. from the wire we hang paper targets from the top of the target only by using cloths pins. this allowes the target to sway in the wind helping us to read the wind. after shooting the paper we tape coins to the targets and take money from each other bettting who can hit the coins. now these coins are taped to paper hanging from the top and flapping in the wind. the 32 v max factory loads zip thru quarters with a perfect round hole this is at 100 yrd, the coins dont even move but are still hanging on the paper. now are the spash hole claimers telling me that a shoulder bone of a coyote even a big wisco coyote is going to spash a big hole in the hide at the entrance hole or are we talking out at 200 yrd let me know what you think is the farthest 32 grain v max shot on a coyote is with out the splash factor , even if you hit the biggest bone in the shoulder?
Sportingly
cracker
Rugerdogdog
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS Panther Arms LR-204

Re: bullet spash ?

Post by Rugerdogdog »

I think most of the accounts of bullet sLpash I have heard have been on odd or extreme angles when bullets do tend to do some strange things.
DPMS Panther Arms LR-204 24" Stainless Fluted Heavy Barrel

There is a place for all of Gods creatures...RIGHT NEXT TO THE POTATOES AND GRAVY.
Gmoney
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Predator Hunter .204 topped with a Leupy 4-12

Post by Gmoney »

The best example I had of "splash" with the 32 Vmax is when I shot an armadillo with a factory 32...

Sure armadillos have well, armor, but it is not too tough...

Shot one at 50 yards and impact was robably over 4100...
The entrance "hole" was from the front of his shell to the back of his shell lengthwise on the entrance side...Over a foot of gaping flesh....

The off side of the armadillo had no damage whatsoever...

The little bullet literally demolished the half of him facing me and didn't even get to the other side.

Impressive, no doubt, but that was the last critter I shot with the 32 Vmax....
http://www.Predatoroutfitters.com

Fully guided predator hunting by guys who live and breathe it.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

cracker
Try this test. Put a fresh piece of plywood behind a two litre bottle of water and shoot it. See what comes out the other side. I've only done it once but I found absolutely no shrapnel exiting.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
CV32

Post by CV32 »

I've put a 32 gr Vmax through 1/4 inch of mild steel at 100 yards like it was a stick of butter, but the same bullet at the same distance will disintegrate into dust halfway through a hardcover book that is only two inches thick. Penetration performance on hard targets like metal are not a good indicator of performance on flesh and bone. There's a reason why formal bullet tests are often done with gelatin.
The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving. - Ulysses S. Grant (1822-85)
Lyn

Post by Lyn »

I guess the only way for you to tell is to shoot some coyotes for yourself. From my expeirence the 32gr and the 40gr v-max leave fist size enterence hole's no matter what the yardage.(farthest being 250 yards)
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Velocity penetrates steel, I think if you could push one fast enough, a sponge would penetrate mild steel. Flesh and bone are another matter, they absorb the energy and it quickly dissipates. I've seen cast bullets, from straight wheelweights, nearly go thru T-3, tearing it badly, and denting the dickens out of it. Wheelweights aren't that tough. Heck, look at what foam does to the Space Shuttles...............
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Bayou City Boy

Post by Bayou City Boy »

None of the current crop of factory 20 caliber bullets - with the exception of the Hornady 45 grain bullet - were designed with coyotes in mind. They were all designed to give explosive results on smaller varmints.

Granted....any of them will kill coyotes, but they are not consistent, predictable, performers when used for coyotes. As a result....splashes happen.....

-BCB
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Word in the forest is coyote meets Berger bullet, coyote dies.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I've used the 32gr Vmax and 40gr Vmax and had only small splashes on a Bob cat and a fox that I hit in the face. Two Cats I hit in the shoulder from the front had flaps opened on them but not bad. Both the 32gr 40gr have worked great on Coyote's with not one splash and no pelt damage at all some where head shots some neck and heart shots. The 32gr Vmax have done well for there size.
Red

Post by Red »

I've had some splashes with each but I blame poor shot placement for the most part. When a shoulder or other heavy bone is struck, your bound to get some big holes no matter what caliber the centerfire when ballistic poly tips are used. Never the less, they all died pretty quick and that's all I care about. I've also had the 204 exhibit some teeny tiny holes when the shot was placed correctly...some so small in fact that an entrance could not readily be found.