Hey Vartung.......Question

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

Hey Vartung.......Question

Post by cshooter »

This is the farmer from Illinois who got a 204 when his wife got a T.V. You said here a while back that you have a Ruger 77 MK II standard modle like mine ? You mentioned it shot pretty well ? I 'm haveing a little trouble with mine which is mostly my fault I'm sure, but was just wondering how well yours shoots so I might have a goal to aim for with my modle 77 . Mine just has the wood stock, blued 24 " sporter barrel. Right now I'm getting around 2 - 3 " at 200 yrds. Can I hope for better ?
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Hey Vartung.......Question

Post by acloco »

CS - do you handload?

If so, slow the bullets down a touch. Seems to work well in the sporter barrels.

Also, so far, the 35 gr bergers have worked the best in all of the sporters that I have seen and several of the varmint barrels.
cshooter
.204 Ruger Guns: 77 MK 2 standard sporter

Re: Hey Vartung.......Question

Post by cshooter »

I don't reload yet but am going to try. I'll try some of those 35 gr. Berger bullets. What would be a good load combo to start out with ? I think my buddy said he loaded those 39 Sierra's with 25 grains of RE - 10x. My gun seems to like those O.K. The other load was the Hornady 40 grain V-max's and 28.3 grains of 748 that my gun did'nt like real well. Maybe I should try 24 1/2 grains of RE-10x ? Another load he said I could try of his is the 40 V-max and 28 grains of Varget ? Oh well, I will try something as soon as I clean the gun good and then go back and break the barrel in right instead of just shooting it first. I guess I'm not too smart in somethings( or so my wife says, but I don't listen to her all the time) ;) One more thing is there a general rule of thumb for when to clean a 204 Ruger or should I just clean it when the accuracy starts to fall off ?