The .204 Ruger in competition

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
skunkriver

The .204 Ruger in competition

Post by skunkriver »

Congratulations are in order for KVW on winning the overall award for best score at the Marion County Sportsman's Club in the Stock division of the 2007 Varmint Shoot. Kurt's gun was a Savage LRPV, the only .204 to shoot all five matches, and competed against many "benchrest" calibers. Here is a link to their website:" http://www.mcsportsman.com/ "where you can check rules and results for 2006 ( hopefully 2007 will be posted shortly ).

Kurt and I met as a result of the 204Ruger.com website and he invited me to shoot the last match of the season on 8/25/07. Here is one of the two targets I shot to give you an idea of what is involved.

The target measures 26" x 19.5" and has 10 silhouettes with 3/4" bullseye and is positioned at 200 yards. A small...make that very small... dot in the center of the bullseye marks the " X " designation for tie breakers. The other two classes have similar targets, except there are two 3/4" bulls, four 5/8" bulls and four 1/2" bulls and slightly higher point values.

A perfect score is 400 points in the Stock division, which is hitting the bull on all 10 silhouettes. You are only allowed 10 shots per target and only one score per silhouette, but you can shoot at a particular silhouette more than once, so there is some strategy involved to maximizing your highest score.

Are any of you participating in shoots of this nature?? Please post some pics of targets and any explanations that would be helpful. This was a real blast (pun intended) especially when the guy next to me was shooting a .30-06!! :x :loco:

Congratulate Kurt either here or PM him. He had a fine year with the .204!!
Last edited by skunkriver on Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make good decisions!!!
WrzWaldo
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR-100 / Savage-Douglas-Richards

Re: The .204 Ruger in competition

Post by WrzWaldo »

Congrats KVW! You shoot your PS target yet?
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Congratulations KVW on your win using a Savage in 204. My favorite set up.
Still using Viht 135?
Do they allow any sighters in this comp or do you start out cold and blind?

Keep up the good work!!!

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

Way to go! And ya did it with my favorite rifle. Congrats. Looks like a fun shoot!
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

MinotBob
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Contender G2 .204 Ruger

Post by MinotBob »

WOW :eek: :shock:
MinotBob
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

Congrats, KVW, that's good work! Keep it up for next year! It seems you're doing the .204 proud. I wonder how many more rifles that'll sell to the other competitors :chin: , because they're sure to look at what you're using :mrgreen: .
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Steve V
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527 Varmint, Ruger 77 V/T

Post by Steve V »

Congrats to KVW. I shot at that range 6 years ago in the spring shoot. It has to be one of the toughest 200 yd ranges I ever tried to figure out the wind and mirage on. It's about three hours from me....just a tad to far to get over there on a regular basis. I do know that the bunch of guys that run it are a great bunch to shoot with.
KVW
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV & 12FVS

Post by KVW »

Thanks guys for all the congrats about the competition this year. Sorry I didn't reply earlier but I have been out of town on business this week. I wish everyone on this forum could come down and shoot in this competition. It's alot of fun. I was struggling a little until I found help from folk's on this forum and YES I still shoot VV135. I don't think I will try any other powder. Another great thing about this forum is that I met a new friend. Skunkriver is a great guy that is a heck of a shot. I think that I will have some problems against him next year in the comp shoot. Anyway, Thanks again Carl, I can't wait to get out to your new range and try some 500yd shooting.

Later,
Kurt
Savage 12LRPV W/Sightron 36x scope
Savage 12FV W/Weaver T-36 scope

jo2009
.204 Ruger Guns: cz 527 american,cz527 varmint,savage 12

Post by jo2009 »

where can i get that target?
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

Sorry I missed this post. Congrats, KVW :wtg:

And nice shooting skunkriver :yeah: Sure looks like it would be a fun shoot. Sounds like something some of our club members might want to start up.
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

You guys are funny, this thread is 4 years old.
Hedge
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 FLV

Post by Hedge »

Yeah, but it's never too late to congratulate. ;)
Savage 12 FCV .204 Ruger
Viper PST FFP 4-16x50

ImageImage
======
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

I was glad to see this thread resurrected....Since the first post, I've moved and am now a member of the St Louis Benchrest Club and I've called one of the coordinators at Marion County and found out that the Varmint Matches are open to the public... I'm going to see if maybe I can find one or two other members here to come up with me and compete in the 2012 matches... It looks like a great range and a lot of fun..
AR
Factory/Factory
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Post by Trent »

OldTurtle wrote:I was glad to see this thread resurrected....Since the first post, I've moved and am now a member of the St Louis Benchrest Club and I've called one of the coordinators at Marion County and found out that the Varmint Matches are open to the public... I'm going to see if maybe I can find one or two other members here to come up with me and compete in the 2012 matches... It looks like a great range and a lot of fun..
Hey, I shot at the St Louis Benchrest Club for the Regional high power silhouette match a few months ago. What a great range that is. I'll definitely be back in 2012 as well. If you haven't gone over and tried silhouette yet do yourself a favor and go give it a try. It is an incredibly fun sport.
204foxguy
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 12 lrpv

Post by 204foxguy »

jo2009 wrote:where can i get that target?
That is exactly what i would like to know!
Does anybody know where these targets can be Bought?

Would like to introduce this type of match @ my club. .....22RF Varmint Matches :) as well as ....
Varmint calibers @ 200-300 yards! :D

Yes!