LRPV Trouble

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

LRPV Trouble

Post by dannybracy »

Hey guys, haven't been on here in awhile, but........I am still having problems w/ my .204 not firing every trigger pull. I have not contacted Savage yet( as this will be a first for me) but was wondering if you guys had any suggestions of what the problem might be. During my first PD hunt about half way thru(about 400 rounds in) it would misfire once outta every 7 to 10 shots. It is dimpling the primer(CCI BR4's) and almost putting a ridge around the dimple on a few. I checked the firing pin protrusion like others suggested. I have cleaned it and it all looks good. My girlfriends dad used the same batch of primers for his 2 Rem 700's and hasn't had a misfire yet so i don't think it is a bad batch. Should i just call up savage and go thru the process of sending it in under warranty? Thanks for your help guys. -Dan
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: LRPV Trouble

Post by acloco »

Are these reloads?

If so, shoulders on the brass is being set back too far.
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

acloco may be right. Are you FL sizing? If so simply adjust your die up until you can tell its not sizing the full neck down to the shoulders. This will quarentee your not bumping them back for now.

I have no idea where I heard or read this but....
I do have a recollection of someone having a similar issue. Turns out thier rear pillar was a tad short and this allowed a very snug rear screw to somehow exert pressure on the sear causing it to rub and slow the firing pin.
I'm not a gunsmith by any stretch of the imagination. This could just be a bad dream :roll:
I also do not own an LRPV but I'm pretty sure they do not have pillars per say but instead a bedding block.
If its still misfiring 1 out of 10 try loosening the rear action screw a touch and fire some off. Just snug it up lightly and see what happens. Don't be surprised that your POI changes (should shoot lower I believe)

Have you tried different primers?
Have you tried a couple boxes of factory ammo?
I would suggest the factory ammo before calling Savage. While Savage is a decent company and will not try to brush you off if they here you've just shot reloads they'll probably make the same suggestion.
If all else fails send it in. Nice people there at Savage. They'll fix it up.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I see your still having a problem. We need to know about the accu-lever. If it's locked it's NOT a misfire.That means you pulled the trigger without the accu-lever being fully depressed. If it's loose, it is a misfire! Without knowing the accu-lever status, We can only guess.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

dannybracy
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR, Savage 12FV.204

Post by dannybracy »

Hawkeye, first of all, your new pup rocks! On the misfire, i squeeze the trigger and the sear drops firing the pin. The trigger does NOT lock as it does when you don't pull on the accutrigger the correct way. After the (misfire) i pull the round out and the primer is dimpled(sometimes almost cratered as the edges of the dimple on the primer are pushed up a little. Looks to me like the pin is hitting it hard enough) I don't understand why it is doing it. It does it on factory ammo as well as my reloaded ammo. These primers are the same CCI benchrest primers as my g/f's dad is using in his 2 Rem. 700's. We did the whole 9 yards on brass prep.---fl sizing, flash hole deburring....etc. I just don't get why the gun just started doing it after about 400-500 rounds..... Any knew ideas? or just give Savage a call? Thanks again guys
***Danny Bracy***

'07 Savage 12LRPV .204 w/ VX-L Leupold 6.5-20x56 VHR
'07 Superior Arms AR15 20" Bull Varmint .223
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

I'd like to check it with a headspace gauge. What's the shoulder diameter of a fired case. Mine is .360 .
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition