Hornady 45 grainers

General discussion and information about the .204 Ruger.
tc4me

Hornady 45 grainers

Post by tc4me »

Was wondering if anyone has had any luck with the Hornady 45 gr. sp's. I have a cz varmint and have shot the 32's and 40's, both Hornady's. I have 60 rounds down the tube and it drives tacks with the 32's. The 40's hold about 2 plus inch three shot groups @ 100 yds. The 32's can be covered with a dime!! I do not reload and really wished it shot the 40's better. Was just wondering if it is worth trying a box of the 45's seeing how it does not shoot the 40's all that well.
Arizona Hunter

Re: Hornady 45 grainers

Post by Arizona Hunter »

My friend was shooting the 45 Spire point in July on prairie dogs, he was very pleased. He also has the CZ 204.

Hornady is offering loaded cartridges in the 45, although I've not checked to see who is selling them.

Although he was poppin' p-dogs, the main reason he got them was for better penetration and less blow up on coyotes, and to that end they are his new favorite.
Last edited by Arizona Hunter on Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
UTcaller
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ 527

Post by UTcaller »

I have been shooting the 45 grain Hornady's this year,and I am very impressed with them.Good speed(3625 fps),great B.C(.245),shoots very flat,and penetration is very good with very little pelt damage to boot.Definitely worth a try.

Good Hunting Chad
sniper model 12
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage model 12 single shot synthetic stock bull barrel

Post by sniper model 12 »

I shoot a Savage model 12 single shot

It shoots the 32s good, the 40's better. . . . but when it comes down to bone crushing penetration with drop in tracks results. . . 45 grain Horady SP.

I'll cover the 32's with a dime, the 40's with a nickel. I have not tried to group the 45's but I can hit a quarter at 100yds without a problem (no I in team. . . me and the rifle). When it comes to small critters I use the 32's or Winchester's 34grain JHP. The Hornady 40 grainers are used on fox to coyote. I use the 45 grains on coyote only with a head shot option in mind. The round does very well with rib bones and shoulders.

Keep in mind that an exit wound is more likely with a 45 grain SP than the others afore mentioned.

HTH
"Adopt the pace of Nature: Her secret is patience."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

My savage 12 VLP does very well with the 32 gr V-max, but the 40 v-max's are approx an 1" or more. I have used the factory 45 hornady sp's and accuracy was just as good as the 32 v-max and the super accurate 39 gr blitz kings. I would think this is probably due to the fact that the 45 gr overall length is shorter than the 40 gr V-max and it is also a flat base.
My new savage 12 BTVSS shoots the 40 V-max as accurate as the 32 V-max and the 39 blitz as well as the factory 45 gr sp. I have some test loads made up for the 45's, but havn't had the time to test them yet. It seems that when opportunity arrives for some test shooting, the wind seems to be howling. I am currently working on building my own range here at home that will enable me to shoot out to 700 yds. Hopefully I can get the posts in before freeze-up.
Savage Vaporizer